• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A hopeful non-Watson scenario that doesn't mortgage the future

davos

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Cross in the 1st Glass in the 5th? We draft our guy next year and either Glass develops and gives him a run for his money or he stays as our high potential backup. It’s not a terrible plan. Let the Bucs have the division Brady’s last year and we should be ready once he is gone. 

I like Glass. Low risk potential high reward.

• Pie 1

I'm all for trading down to recoup a second, drafting the best available OL with the first and then taking one of the remaining QBs available between Ridder, Corral, Howell or Strong.

If they suck, oh well, we Jimmy Clausen them and take our next franchise guy next draft.

If they're good, we got a good OL and a good QB in rounds one and two. Shits cash.

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I'm all for trading down to recoup a second, drafting the best available OL with the first and then taking one of the remaining QBs available between Ridder, Corral, Howell or Strong.

If they suck, oh well, we Jimmy Clausen them and take our next franchise guy.

If they're good, we got a good OL and a good QB in rounds one and two. Shits cash.

Exactly.  I guess what I'd weigh is if the trade down worth is it to lose out on a top 10-12ish talent in this draft.  Looking like Jax goes Hutch.  So we've got a shot at Neal or Ekwonu.  It's something to consider.  

Edited by davos

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

What's to like less about Corral? He actually improved over time on the field and off. That's what you want. 

I've personally been a fan and wasn't aware of his let's call it 'character shtick'.    I didn't get why it seemed so many are placing him well behind Pickett and Willis but the more and more that's been happening, the more cautious I am.  It's not without merit that teams (not just writers/analysts) are iffy on him. So then I ask how much recently was just a focus PR stint focused around what he developed with Lane?   

I think the realistic goal for 2022 is just getting through the season and the realistic hope is getting through without messing too much up for the 2023 season. 

Fixing QB is not realistic the season, but fixing a lot of other crap is realistic, especially the OL so just focus on that. 

If Rhule can manage a deep playoff run this year with this crew, he deserves to pick a QB next year. 

I don't have a problem drafting a be QB late or just getting some FA thats hanging around to carry us through the season, but don't expect much from there this year.

Just fix everything else without trading for anyone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think the realistic goal for 2022 is just getting through the season and the realistic hope is getting through without messing too much up for the 2023 season. 

Fixing QB is not realistic the season, but fixing a lot of other crap is realistic, especially the OL so just focus on that. 

If Rhule can manage a deep playoff run this year with this crew, he deserves to pick a QB next year. 

I don't have a problem drafting a be QB late or just getting some FA thats hanging around to carry us through the season, but don't expect much from there this year.

Just fix everything else without trading for anyone.

Yup.  Pretty much the premise but I totally favor a pick over some random FA.  You at least have the chance at a sleeper rather than a mid-career bum.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, davos said:

The title really says it all.  I'd like to think that in title is what we all want right?  And we see it all, there's a Baker thread, Jimmy G one, Willis, etc. and then you'll get the "Stick with Darnold" option.  Let's not forget the faction of people convincing themselves to want Pickett, Corral, etc.  

Well, I really see one scenario that fits the bill for me.  If/when Watson doesn't happen and completely change things up:

• You have a miffed Tepper and Rhule needing to answer to the media and fans after pawning over this guy for 22 months. It's likely blinded them from making other practical moves.  I could actually see Rhule just getting fired in the coming weeks if so (wishful thinking but it's going to be a bad look if they come out of this with nothing)
  • We are paying Darnold in 2022 no matter what.  $18ish mil.  There's no trade to be had with him.  So, you either ride him, sit him, or release him.  Doesn't really matter if he plays or not.
  • Draft wise--regardless, you pick BPA w/need weighed at Pick 6.  I'm talking Neal, Thibodaux, Cross, Ekwonu, or Wilson, it's simply not a QB with this draft.

So now my question, what is the pickup? Is it a cheap FA or a mid-rounder?

It's clearly a mid-rounder. What good does Mariota, Fitz, etc. really do for us?  If anything, they may cause us to win some games against the bottom half of the league.  So yep, draft...even if it requires a slight Round 3 trade up.  They don't always hit, but they CAN hit.  Whether it be Howell, Ridder, Strong, Glass, or Coan (whoever).  Someone is going to fall, there may only be 1 or 2 QBs going in the 1st.  If one we like lasts to the third, that's worth a minor trade up (using a 5th) at the most, just roll the dice.  Not much risk, big reward. 

So, if the Watson saga fails: Staring at a top 2023 pick, grab the best boost possible at 6, and take a random mid-round gamble. Take your top QB in 2023 and not some mid-career vet that's semi-capable.

If it succeeds: You've found one of the rare 3-4th round QB success stories a la Russ, Tark, Cousins.   

I wouldn't be mad about this.  Would be a rare scenario where I'd retain minimal interest until we're chatting about Young, Stroud, Haeder, Slovis, McCall, Levis, etc.  

I like this scenario but the one I like better is this….Trade down. Our top need is an OT. It’s the most loaded position in the draft. Probably six first round graded players. 

Someone is going to want to move up for either an impact defender (Hamilton, Gardner, one of the Edge players) or a QB. 

Trade pick #6 for GB, KC, TB, Buf pick in the late 20s and a 3rd this year and their 1st and 3rd round picks next year. 

Trade CMC to Buffalo for a 1st round pick. 

Use the 3rd we get in a deal to pick a guy like Howell or Ridder. If they hit then it’s a lottery type situation. Probably won’t. But you need to give fan’s and other teammates hope. 

Take Raimann this year with the pick in the 20s. OL is fixed. 

2023 - Three 1st round picks. If the rookie in 2022 looks bad then take Young or Stroud. They’ll be playing behind a legitimate line with a legit WR (Moore) and a good running game. Draft some additional weapons for the QB and go from there.