• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kemba working out in Charlotte

MechaZain

NY Post reporting that Kemba's working out in Charlotte and not using Knicks trainers. 

“No, he’s away from the team,’’ Thibodeau said. “And that was agreed upon. Our management, his agent and Kemba, we just felt that was the best way to handle it.’’

His mom still lives in the QC. He's probably getting traded on draft day. If he's not still miffed over being let go there's a good chance we could see him back on the Hornets. 

1 hour ago, MechaZain said:

NY Post reporting that Kemba's working out in Charlotte and not using Knicks trainers. 

His mom still lives in the QC. He's probably getting traded on draft day. If he's not still miffed over being let go there's a good chance we could see him back on the Hornets. 

We didn’t let him go, in hindsight Kupchak offered him a great deal (for Kemba) and Kemba found a better one.

3 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

We didn’t let him go, in hindsight Kupchak offered him a great deal (for Kemba) and Kemba found a better one.

Nah after everything he did for the franchise it was a lowball. You have to meet certain qualifications to even be eligible for the extra $80m and they only offered him a quarter of it. He was willing to take less than the supermax, they could have atleast met him halfway at like $190m just as a thank you. It worked out great for the team in the end but Kemba deserved a better offer.

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, MechaZain said:

Nah after everything he did for the franchise it was a lowball. You have to meet certain qualifications to even be eligible for the extra $80m and they only offered him a quarter of it. He was willing to take less than the supermax, they could have atleast met him halfway at like $190m just as a thank you. It worked out great for the team in the end but Kemba deserved a better offer.

It clearly wasn’t a lowball as Kemba is struggling right now.

Kupchak offered what he was comfortable with.

Giving contracts based off of past history is a dangerous game to play.

• Pie 3

You run the risk of players not wanting to play for your organization like that. I think we're seeing that happen with no veteran QBs wanting to play for the Panthers. If it weren't for LaMelo they'd still be struggling to free agents. Why would anyone want to come here when Kemba gave his all to the franchise and it wasn't reciprocated? 

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, MechaZain said:

You run the risk of players not wanting to play for your organization like that. I think we're seeing that happen with no veteran QBs wanting to play for the Panthers. If it weren't for LaMelo they'd still be struggling to free agents. Why would anyone want to come here when Kemba gave his all to the franchise and it wasn't reciprocated? 

Eh I disagree, the NBA is about teaming up these days and the only person that ever wanted to come here and team up with Kemba was Al Jefferson and Hayward (before Utah matched the offer sheet).

Kupchak offered what he felt comfortable with and Kemba found a better offer. It worked out for everyone.

8 hours ago, MechaZain said:

You run the risk of being a dumpy organization if you over pay undersized players with a big heart because they're fan favorites. 160 would have been an overpay and I would have been pissed if kemba signed that deal

35 minutes ago, toldozer said:

You run the risk of being a dumpy organization if you over pay undersized players with a big heart because they're fan favorites. 160 would have been an overpay and I would have been pissed if kemba signed that deal

You’re vastly underrating a guy who made 3 All-Star Game appearances here and was All-NBA

5 hours ago, toldozer said:

And what did the team win?  He was great here but they could not pay him and make the team better.  They had to tear it down

Don’t move the goalposts. I wasn’t talking about paying him that kind of money. I’m talking about his résumé, which you conveniently seem to downplay. 

He's the team's all-time leading scorer and the ideal locker room leader not some JAG. I'm not going to argue that it wasn't the right move from a pure business standpoint. History speaks for itself. But the best offer should have come from the Hornets on principle and I'm sure Kemba was disappointed that it didn't, not just happy he got paid. NBA players absolutely get in their feelings about those sort of things.

Edited by MechaZain

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Don’t move the goalposts. I wasn’t talking about paying him that kind of money. I’m talking about his résumé, which you conveniently seem to downplay. 

I didn't move any goal posts. I never said he wasn't really good here individually.  What I'm saying is when your best player is undersized at his position and you spend a MASSIVE amount of money to keep him just because fans love him you are a stupid stupid organization.  The goal is to win a championship and that would never ever ever happen with Kemba Walker as your best and highest paid player.

His resume is 0 postseason series wins and I think 3 total playoff games won in his career as a bobcat/hornet.

Edited by toldozer

I always got a place in my heart for our guys when they want to come back. It speaks to Charlotte and what it's becoming and the state of the Hornets in general.

At 4:29 Oubre says it all. They love it here they all want to stay. Aside from the way free agent QBs are looking down their nose at our Panthers, free agents like Oubre and Rozier come to Charlotte and want to stay. It also helps when you've got MB2 on your roster.

Kemba working out here is probably due to comfort. Terry is here. IT just got here and is killing it so I'd really like to see how this group rolls. If IT wasn't doing so well I'd say go ahead.

Healthy Kemba, Terry, LaMelo sounds formidable though.

Edited by rippadonn