• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Defense Taking Shape**

SetfreexX

Someone not mentioned a lot on the interior is Nixon. I’m interested to see how he progresses. He was raw when he got here but I’m curious if a full off-season will help.

As for the safety’s, I’d really like Chinn to get moved back to LB.

Chinn - Thompson - Luvu with Wilson as a rotational piece is pretty solid.

Assuming we have another safety on the way…

FS - Woods, Robinson

SS - ?, Chandler

Edited by MillionDollarCam

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I suspect we are gonna see an even worse run defense this season. The roster is very much shaping up that way.

Really??  I think our new DT and replacing Reddick with YGM should make it better?  Reddick and Burns on the field together made it tough to stop the run.  Chinn in the box would be better than Carter, but I could be wrong there....

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We are like "if we can't get Watson we are going to might it tough for him with our new defense."  Run the ball with CMC, Chuba, Foreman behind a better OL with a stronger defense keeping DW on the sidelines for the Saints/Falcons. 

I'm sure ATL will work some kind of magic to get better at WR, but for now double team Pitts and I think that pretty much covers their offense

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Really??  I think our new DT and replacing Reddick with YGM should make it better?  Reddick and Burns on the field together made it tough to stop the run.  Chinn in the box would be better than Carter, but I could be wrong there....

Damien Wilson will probably play alot of special teams, but I'm pretty sure he's specifically good in the run game, just a liability in coverage because he's like 6' 260lbs

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We have no idea if those choices will be made or not. Chinn may stay at safety, YGM may stay a rotational guy.

Just based on looking at the current roster, I suspect we will get worse on that side of that ball.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

We have no idea if those choices will be made or not. Chinn may stay at safety, YGM may stay a rotational guy.

Just based on looking at the current roster, I suspect we will get worse on that side of that ball.

Fair enough.  Yeah if we start Haynes over YGM that would be terrible for our run defense...

The run defense is going to depend on Derrick Brown not being a pushover.

Brown was an excellent run defender in college but thus far he doesn’t look interested when he’s out on the field.

I’m also calling it now.. this will be Haynes’ coming out party. It took Reddick four years to put everything together. This will be Haynes’ fifth year but really his third year of playing more than just a few snaps.

A lot of of our defensive success rides on guys finally putting it together… Brown, YGM, Haynes, and Luvu (as a full time player). If those four guys step up along with what we know we’ll get from Chinn, Woods, Thompson, Ioannidis, Burns, and potentially Horn (if he comes back strong) then the defense could be strong.

Another good safety and bringing back Gilmore could make the unit really strong.

Edited by MillionDollarCam

27 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Fair enough.  Yeah if we start Haynes over YGM that would be terrible for our run defense...

I doubt Haynes starts over YGM. IMO he'll sub in on 3rd downs as a pass rusher. Luvu or Wilson will be on  the field too depending on the alignment and package . So YGM may be competing some for snaps with those guys.

Edited by Michael G

38 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I also don't know that the coaches would agree that we were bad at run defense. Remember these guys live in a bubble and don't really see what the rest of the world does. 

Edited by kungfoodude

27 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I also don't know that the coaches would agree that we were bad at run defense. Remember these guys live in a bubble and don't really see what the rest of the world does. 

I'm hopeful that our new staff (with experience) will help show them the light.  I think Wilks and our OL coach are really going to help us get better.  The negative it these are mostly short term deals which means we are looking at Jimmy G or Pickett...

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I'm hopeful that our new staff (with experience) will help show them the light.  I think Wilks and our OL coach are really going to help us get better.  The negative it these are mostly short term deals which means we are looking at Jimmy G or Pickett...

I think we will be okay at QB. Another top 5 pick next year is extremely likely so we should eventually get one.