• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Draft

Since the Jags put a franchise tag on Cam Robinson, many feel like OT isn't the pick for them any longer, unless they go Ekwonu and put him at guard.  Hutchinson won't make it mast pick two.  The Lions and Texans have lots of needs so they will take BPA.  Jets will go defense after investing heavily on the offense.  If Ekwonu is still there, the Giants will take him as a guard.  They HAVE to protect Jones.

That leaves us with Cross.  He is very scattershot on BBs.  Some have him right behind Neal and Ekwonu while others have him as a mid-round pick...not that far ahead of Penning.  Why?  He's a good pass protector, but coming from a pass happy system doesn't have his run blocking chops yet.  Given a deficiency in an OT, I'll take needing improve on run blocking over pass blocking 10 out of 10 times.

Question being if the Panthers are like some of those BBs and think Cross is closer to a mid-round pick than a top 10 pick, do we take him or the QB?

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Since the Jags put a franchise tag on Cam Robinson, many feel like OT isn't the pick for them any longer, unless they go Ekwonu and put him at guard.  Hutchinson won't make it mast pick two.  The Lions and Texans have lots of needs so they will take BPA.  Jets will go defense after investing heavily on the offense.  If Ekwonu is still there, the Giants will take him as a guard.  They HAVE to protect Jones.

That leaves us with Cross.  He is very scattershot on BBs.  Some have him right behind Neal and Ekwonu while others have him as a mid-round pick...not that far ahead of Penning.  Why?  He's a good pass protector, but coming from a pass happy system doesn't have his run blocking chops yet.  Given a deficiency in an OT, I'll take needing improve on run blocking over pass blocking 10 out of 10 times.

Question being if the Panthers are like some of those BBs and think Cross is closer to a mid-round pick than a top 10 pick, do we take him or the QB?

I think Neal and Mr. Eko are far above the rest. I have Cross, Penning, and Raimann as all being about equal with Raimann my preferred since he's the better run blocker among the three and i think Penning is a RT. 

My dream is to trade down and get Raimann ( i think he's gone by 15) and snag a second round guy. 

12 minutes ago, Panthero said:

I think Neal and Mr. Eko are far above the rest. I have Cross, Penning, and Raimann as all being about equal with Raimann my preferred since he's the better run blocker among the three and i think Penning is a RT. 

My dream is to trade down and get Raimann ( i think he's gone by 15) and snag a second round guy. 

I wouldn't mind trading down if all 3 OTs are gone.  My thought is if Willis or Pickett are still on the board when are back up, even if OT#4 is right there, the temptation to take the QB will be too great.

22 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I don't think Cam Robinson precludes them from taking a tackle if they think it's the best value. They can always trade Robinson on draft night. A tackle-needy team will give up something for him. 

1 minute ago, Smittymoose said:

I don't think Cam Robinson precludes them from taking a tackle if they think it's the best value. They can always trade Robinson on draft night. A tackle-needy team will give up something for him. 

They can still sign Cam to a long-term deal too.  Agreed it doesn't take OT off the table, it does give them options though.  The need a real threat at DE.  Hutchinson is regarded widely at the #1 prospect.  It makes too much sense for them.

Granted, I usually don't like the thought of a trade back but I'm more open to it this year since the Panthers don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick and could probably still get a QB later in the 1st round.

It may not be as hard as some think to find  a willing trade partner who will give up what the pick is worth because there many edge rushers in this draft that should be worth it.

13 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I think things are trending in the direction of someone wanting to trade up 5-10 spots. The Eagles I could see coming up for a top ten guy, the draft gets pretty even from then til late 2nd round. They got Hurts and Minshew so they're going to value these top lineman on both sides of the ball as well as the Wr's/CB's, they don't need a Linderbaum or whoever is going to be around at 15

I wonder if they would give up 2 of those firsts to get to 6. I don’t see why not if they indeed want to move up

No matter who is on the board, the Panthers should try to trade down and collect picks. 

It's likely that one of Pickett/Willis/Ridder will be available in the teens, so they could still get a QB AND additional pick(s). 

I just don't see an option at 6 that would be a game changer for the Panthers.