• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mariota to the Falcons

Jackie Lee

8 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You and I have always seen pretty much eye  to eye and you're much more in tune to college players than I am.  

What's your take on Pickett?

He scares me (as they all do), Dave, but I see the potential to be good in him.  His mechanics are very good, he sees the field well, and he is a good athlete that can run if he needs to do so.  I am blinded by the propaganda that is out there about him, and the small hands bother me in the rain and cold--but he played outdoors in Pittsburgh.  Those who call him a "one hit wonder" are discounting the work he has obviously done to make the most of his abilities.  I am a buyer, considering the options.

Best about him:  Footwork and release

Concerns:  Hand size (because it matters a bit)

Edited by MHS831

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Yeah that's not happening. Not after former head coaches publicly outing offers from ownership for purposely losing.

We have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball.  It would be too obvious if we were tanking in 2022.  I hate seeing that because many of these guys only have a 3 or 4 year career window and they didn't work as hard as they did to go to a team that is tanking intentionally. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, chknwing said:

we could be doing nothing.  Let Darnold tank another year and take our pick of elite qbs in next years draft

Maybe Rhule has convinced Fitt and Morgan to see what Darnold can do with an improved line. I don't anticipate that will end well, but it could give the rook a couple of weeks to learn while Darnold proves he is who we thought he was.

We could still take a QB at 6 (or my preference, later in a trade down). QB room in 2022 is Darnold, PJ, and a rookie.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

He scares me (as they all do), Dave, but I see the potential to be good in him.  His mechanics are very good, he sees the field well, and he is a good athlete that can run if he needs to do so.  I am blinded by the propaganda that is out there about him, and the small hands bother me in the rain and cold--but he played outdoors in Pittsburgh.  Those who call him a "one hit wonder" are discounting the work he has obviously done to make the most of his abilities.  I am a buyer, considering the options.

Best about him:  Footwork and release

Concerns:  Hand size (because it matters a bit)

Kind of reminds me about all the "not athletic enough" conversations we had last year about Mac Jones last year.  

I'm still a Howell fan and think he is being highly underrated but I guess we'll see come the start of the season. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball.  It would be too obvious if we were tanking in 2022.  I hate seeing that because many of these guys only have a 3 or 4 year career window and they didn't work as hard as they did to go to a team that is tanking intentionally. 

The person who can least afford to tank has final say on the roster.

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Kind of reminds me about all the "not athletic enough" conversations we had last year about Mac Jones last year.  

I'm still a Howell fan and think he is being highly underrated but I guess we'll see come the start of the season. 

I think Howell could be the best of the bunch when all is said and done.  He has many of the same skills.  I am not a good evaluator of QB talent.  Some of my highlights:

1. I laughed at KC when they drafted Mahommes.

2. I thought Hurney's visit to Oregon's pro day to watch Herbert was a smokescreen (since the only QB from Oregon who was ever worth a damn was Dan Fouts)

3.  I thought Josh Allen was a bust waiting to happen.

4. Back in the day, I could not decide between Ryan Leaf and Manning--I grew up a Colt fan.

So my eye for QB talent is abysmal.