• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Howell, UNC pro day Monday

MHS831

The reason I think this needs to be discussed is because Howell is a local product that was once considered a top QB prospect (after 2020) and is now looking like a second rounder--if you go by the media.  Some say that he is a poor Man's Baker Mayfield, others think that he is a sleeper who will become a starting NFL QB.  The reason this is significant:  If he is that sleeper pick, we could trade back and grab him.

However, there may not be a more important Pro Day to date for any player.  I personally think Howell will do very well and increase his stock value--creeping into the end of the first round (I think he could go anywhere from the Steelers at #20 to Detroit at #32 or #34.) Of course, a bad pro day could cause his stock to drop into the late second/early third round. 

Forget about which college you pull for--nobody gives a sh!t.  Base this on the player.  Don't focus solely on 2021 film--take a look at 2020 as well.  After his pro day, it will be interesting to see where you think he will go.  Could the Panthers take him if they trade back?  How much worse is Howell than Pickett?  Corral?  etc.

• Pie 2

At one point many moons ago, I thought Howell was in the discussion at 6th. One weekend I dove in and he was the one player I truly soured on badly....I dont even have him in the top 6 QBs(of a class i hate) and the 6th QB I never researched....... Avoid til late 4th-5th at best. He needs to land at the perfect 3rd QB deal and pray. Plus dont spend any of the NFL bucks...

• Pie 1

I'm down if we get him.  

in a trade back scenario.  Hes my QB4 as far as wish list

can I evaluate talent? no and neither can you couch GM that is reading this

I think theres a lot of QBs who would develop into a good player if they are aupported appropriatly.. you know.. good coaching/coordinators, good OL, weapons etc

• Pie 1

With high talent players around them, Howell and Corral are the two best QBs in this draft - playmakers who make the guys around them better and put them in position to succeed. With low-talent players, Willis is the best; he can make incredible plays out of nothing. Pickett is middle of the pack in either case, but he and Corral are the best at executing to a scheme. All 4 of these dudes are above average-to-good scramblers and they all have good enough arms to make the necessary throws to start in the NFL. None of them are sure things so let’s maximize value for the team and not reach on one at 6. 

Will definitely be interesting to see what Howell’s pro day does in terms of his media profile leading up to the draft. 

• Pie 1

If we weren't a bunch of idiots that traded away all our picks, I'd consider him in the 3rd. We need an actual upgrade over PJ Walker at some point. 

But, we also have a weak enough roster that we can't easily afford a luxury like upgrading our backup QB. Especially when our starter is trash.

I think Howell is getting overlooked. He still had a solid year missing his weapons, with his shitty OL. Scouts are just down on him because he wasn’t as good as the year before. We saw what he can do with a couple weapons and decent OL protection and it was projecting him to be the top pick this year. 

Personally, I think he could be the sleeper of the draft.  I am not a big UNC fan (was born in Columbia while my Dad played for Gamecocks--hint) but in the right situation, Howell could be good.  Or he could stink it up in the wrong situation

12 hours ago, The Huddler said:

I'm down if we get him.  

in a trade back scenario.  Hes my QB4 as far as wish list

can I evaluate talent? no and neither can you couch GM that is reading this

I think theres a lot of QBs who would develop into a good player if they are aupported appropriatly.. you know.. good coaching/coordinators, good OL, weapons etc

He is my QB 4 as well.  I think he is better than Ridder.  I think the top 3 are Bs, and I think Howell is a B-/C+.  Ridder is a C. 

This might not be related, but I am starting to think the public fussing over Pickett's hands was all for show, making everyone think we are targeting him.  Fitterer likes to trade back and needs to---so maybe they are targeting Howell.  Who knows?

So I watched Howell's pro day and I was impressed.  EJ Manual (Florida State around 2010-Buffalo Bills QB) seemed impressed with a lot of Howell's throws.  There was a meeting that caused head coaches to miss this pro day, so Howell is going to do another one.

The thing I like about Howell is his cool.  He does not get rattled.  He looked good under the simulated center---he can pass from the pocket, on the run, against his body, etc. and he is accurate with good velocity.  I was impressed with his footwork from under center. 

He does not have the quick release you see with Pickett or Corral, but he throws it 30 yards on a rope with no effort.  Looked like he flicked it 30 yards.

Comparisons:  The panel of ACC commentators compared Howell to Drew Brees, Russell Wilson, and Steve Young.  (I know).

Coach Mack Brown compared him to other players he has coached--and he came up with Colt McCoy.

I would rank the QBs this way:

1. Willis

2. Corral

3. Pickett

4. Howell

5. Ridder

I did not see a Panther rep in the crowd, but there was a conflict for coaches.  I can say that all 32 teams were present, but I saw multiple Steelers (pick 20) and Lions (pick 32) coaches standing behind him.  There was a comment about how Tomlin wanted to be there--

Frankly:  I cannot see much difference between my top 4 QBs (I have not seen Ridder yet).  If we like Howell, it could be a trade back to about 12-18 and grab Howell.

Measurables:  Hand--9 1/8,  height: 6 ft.  weight: 224

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1