• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB prospect accuracy

AU-panther

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I am a consistent PFF defender but they aren't doing science more "sciencey." Remember their metrics are based on human judges. The way they determine "catchable" and "uncatchable" is also likely to be imperfect.

It's a good stat but you sort of tried to put out articles that backed up this stat as a predictor of success that were just bad articles(mostly due to time since they had been posted and being proved wrong).

The stats themselves I have not a lot of issue with. I generally agree that accuracy is one of the more solid predictors of NFL success. But it doesn't really require digging that far into it, simple completion percentage is an accurate enough predictor.

I think they are likely a decent trend with a fairly wide margin for error. 

Interesting to see, regardless. 

I didn't present either article as as predictor of anything, they just happened to be the first article that I found that had the stats that supported my statement that neither Herbert or Lance were that great in the accuracy department that you disagreed with.  

I don't keep a library of old tweets and articles from previous drafts to prove points later.

If you want to go with just regular completion percentage I'm happy for you, personally I think in itself it doesn't tell you the entire story, especially at the college level with offensives that are often watered down.

So Cam with larger average depth of target, and with receivers with more drops, should be judged by the same completion stat of a QB that throws a lot more short passes with better receivers?

Back to the watered down offenses, I saw an article today that tried to really break down the differences of these top QBs in the draft based on different throws and situations(such as pressure, blitz, etc)

One of the graphs just talked about the 10-20 yard out, and which QBs were actually good at that.  That is actually a staple throw at the NFL level that you don't always see at the college level.  its a throw that actually takes good velocity and timing, Some of these guys really haven't done that much, and some really aren't that great at it.  That is actually the type of things scouts are looking at when they watch film.  Just looking at regular completion percentage is box score scouting.

19 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

So as long as he applies “his” definition it doesn’t matter if the ball was even catchable lol.

Simms said he watched the film and Corral was more accurate but okay. Their own website contradicts themselves

image.jpeg

Yes but that includes the 2018-2021 seasons. I bet those numbers are a lot better for Pickett and others if you just include this season.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I didn't present either article as as predictor of anything, they just happened to be the first article that I found that had the stats that supported my statement that neither Herbert or Lance were that great in the accuracy department that you disagreed with.  

I don't keep a library of old tweets and articles from previous drafts to prove points later.

If you want to go with just regular completion percentage I'm happy for you, personally I think in itself it doesn't tell you the entire story, especially at the college level with offensives that are often watered down.

So Cam with larger average depth of target, and with receivers with more drops, should be judged by the same completion stat of a QB that throws a lot more short passes with better receivers?

Back to the watered down offenses, I saw an article today that tried to really break down the differences of these top QBs in the draft based on different throws and situations(such as pressure, blitz, etc)

One of the graphs just talked about the 10-20 yard out, and which QBs were actually good at that.  That is actually a staple throw at the NFL level that you don't always see at the college level.  its a throw that actually takes good velocity and timing, Some of these guys really haven't done that much, and some really aren't that great at it.  That is actually the type of things scouts are looking at when they watch film.  Just looking at regular completion percentage is box score scouting.

Yeah, I mean you can feel free to pick and choose what you decide to read from what I posted. Free country.

I would suggest actually opening the articles you post before you post them in the future, however.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I mean you can feel free to pick and choose what you decide to read from what I posted. Free country.

I would suggest actually opening the articles you post before you post them in the future, however.

I did open them, they both contained stats that applied to the two QBS we were talking about, I assumed people would separate that from the article, since we really were not talking about the other people in the articles, next time I'll point that out, my bad

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

I did open them, they both contained stats that applied to the two QBS we were talking about, I assumed people would separate that from the article, since we really were not talking about the other people in the articles, next time I'll point that out, my bad

Okay. I guess you just didn't read them.

Either way.

12 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay. I guess you just didn't read them.

Either way.

I did read them, it just wasn’t relevant to the discussion we had in wether Herbert and Lance has some accuracy issues coming out of college. 

I said they did in an earlier post and for some reason you tried to say I was wrong, so i replied with facts.