• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How dangerous is Willis as a runner? What makes him special?

micnificent28

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

It would be beneficial to acknowledge you have a blind spot in this particular discussion. Everyone has bias. Willis is one prospect that reveals it more for whatever reason. If Darnold can get chance after chance after chance after chance and even someone like Sam Bradford can fleece the NFL for 130 million dollars in career earnings I think we can at least wait until the kid sees an NFL field.

Nobody says he doesn't have potential. 

He's just super raw. 

Wouldn't you agree He's a huge risk?

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

It would be beneficial to acknowledge you have a blind spot in this particular discussion. Everyone has bias. Willis is one prospect that reveals it more for whatever reason. If Darnold can get chance after chance after chance after chance and even someone like Sam Bradford can fleece the NFL for 130 million dollars in career earnings I think we can at least wait until the kid sees an NFL field.

I dont think bias is the word you are looking for here.  I think the bulk of us just realize our situation as a franchise and think there is simply no way we can afford to draft a kid like willis.  We just are not set up for that type of project.  His flaws are in direct contrast with what we need at the moment.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Screenshot_20220411-180034_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a1e178eb3b9e83fb0272ead807898c29.jpg

this is the reason you shouldnt lump in Fran Tarkenton and roger staubach with Vick or even Willis. Darnold is not an elite athlete. He moves well and probably has sneaky speed if defenses aren't prepared for it but That athletic ability alone isn't enough to build a offense around or even devote a every down spy to. Didn't Jordan Davis a 330 pound defensive tackle just run a faster time than this guy?

Darnold on paper may not be as good a athlete as you assume.

Is that the reason he's failing as a quarterback?

If it isn't, what is?

Are you saying that if he were a better athlete, he could be a good quarterback too?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

Nobody says he doesn't have potential. 

He's just super raw. 

Wouldn't you agree He's a huge risk?

They're all huge risks even the ones some fans want to anoint as the next great hall of famer like Andrew Luck. Desperation means we will roll the dice anyway. It might not be Willis but it will happen and just because it might be a QB you happen to like more does not negate the risk level.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

They're all huge risks even the ones some fans want to anoint as the next great hall of famer like Andrew Luck. Desperation means we will roll the dice anyway. It might not be Willis but it will happen and just because it might be a QB you happen to like more does not negate the risk level.

But I want the next Jordan Gross.

4 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

My God you are super biased aren't you.

Vick isn't even in the same dimension as Staubach. 

It remains to be seen if Willis will be but you are taking about one of the greatest QBs of all time. 

Vick bwahahahhahahahahahaha LMFAO 

That was my whole point.  Mr. Scott was saying that today's runners are nothing new and that they have been around since Rodger the Dodger and fran tarc. I'm saying today's  mobile qbs are in a different league and a higher threat level to score than those guys. Those guys basically bought time with there legs.

Vick, Cam, Lamar, Kyler and these kids will house one if you sleep on them. I'm not comparing Willis to them as a thrower only in the sense of mobility.

2 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

That was my whole point.  Mr. Scott was saying that today's runners are nothing new and that they have been around since Rodger the Dodger and fran tarc. I'm saying today's  mobile qbs are in a different league and a higher threat level to score than those guys. Those guys basically bought time with there legs.

Vick, Cam, Lamar, Kyler and these kids will house one if you sleep on them. I'm not comparing Willis to them as a thrower only in the sense of mobility.

If you want to go that route, then answer this: Are the guys chasing those quarterbacks the same as the ones who were chasing Staubach and Tarkenton?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Is that the reason he's failing as a quarterback?

If it isn't, what is?

Are you saying that if he were a better athlete, he could be a good quarterback too?

I'm saying he isn't really a duel threat. His rushing ability isn't something you can take advantage of. If I have to worry about the threat of you running any given down it could cause a mistake in coverage, make a DB hesitant anything, just create more opportunities. I'm not saying running solves darnolds problems.

I think he never looks comfortable in the pocket and has consistent happy feet. What I'm saying with Willis is day 1. You have probably a top 3 rushing threat as far as running quarterbacks go in the league you are going to have to respect that. That's a floor. At worse ot creates opportunities opens throwing lanes whatever. 

A top 10 arm that can challenge any spot on the field. His mobility is going to make DBs have to play in coverage longer than they would like which creates opportunities. Yes he's not drew Brees in terms of processing yet. But from what I seen he's a better thrower than Newton coming out of the draft. He can change up his pitches and has good deep ball accuracy.

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

But I want the next Jordan Gross.

more likely to find the next Gross in this draft than the next Cam or even Jake in this one. i think there's potential in this QB class and they might be better than i thought, but there's not one of them i would be ecstatic with at #6. If we're going to roll with a QB then...i still would prefer these guys in this order Corrall, Willis, and Pickett. I think that we'd be able to get at least one of these guys later, though, so i'm not hoping we go that direction with the 6th.

First pick, imo, whether it's at 6 or later, should LT. we've put it off too long. that HAS to be the priority this year. after that they can do whatever the hell they want. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Noo no.no no no.

Staubach was Vicks superior in every single possible way. It's not even close. 

Staubach is probably top 10 of all time as far as QBs go. He was the best QB of a decade in a career shorted by the War on the Front end and 6 concussions on the back end.

Vick was an average NFL QB I doubt he makes the top 100 QBs list.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you want to go that route, then answer this: Are the guys chasing those quarterbacks the same as the ones who were chasing Staubach and Tarkenton?

Absolutely not. But it's safe to say based off the speed of the guys who are duel threats, Willis has enough speed to be a threat with his legs? Is he atleast as fast as Newton who broke 70 yarders? As far as rushing qbs go I don't think we have seen a guy with the tools Willis has. He's got a strong lower base and lead the league in broken tackles at the position.

He's shorter but he'd a power guy will break a ton of sacks. His start and stop acceleration are elite. I don't think he has the best top end speed like say a corner or Wr but he has enough speed to be a threat.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Nope. And with the safety bubble surrounding QBs since 1996 it's a completely different task than when a Blitzer could hit you three steps after you let go of the ball and sliding on a run wasn't an option.

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

First pick, imo, whether it's at 6 or later, should LT. we've put it off too long. that HAS to be the priority this year. after that they can do whatever the hell they want

Our biggest fear is they are going to do that starting with #6.

I agree with you on what we should be doing at #6.  Even if we somehow trade down (and it better not be too far), I think the same need has to be addressed.  If they trade down and pick up a 2nd or 3rd, then we can start looking at other positions. 

2 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Noo no.no no no.

Staubach was Vicks superior in every single possible way. It's not even close. 

Staubach is probably top 10 of all time as far as QBs go. He was the best QB of a decade in a career shorted by the War on the Front end and 6 concussions on the back end.

Vick was an average NFL QB I doubt he makes the top 100 QBs list.

Ok Staubach was superior to Vick in every way.... lol stop it.