• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Norris on Panthers 1st round plans

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Jimmy G is perpetually hurt and will not be ready for training camp.  How the fug does a qb like him help? 

Are you asking me?  I'm not for us signing him or Baker.  I think we need to just draft one like most teams do.  I'd prefer a trade down and draft Corral/Howell and acquire some additional picks.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

He reminds me of Vernon Gholston 

Dang Juan just put some bad juujuu on Walker, withing 13 minutes you will be getting a call form his agent!!

Theres no clear #1, thats the main reason for the Walker hype. Dawgs DL was maybe the best in recent history, it was if you included Jermaine Johnson who is also RED hot in on the hype train. Theres talk that Johnson will be a top 5, some like him more than Aidan Hutchinson(fyi I do, i got the lowest opinion on hutch). Walker just has the numbers, interviews well, size, combine, and willing to do the dirty work for his teammates glory...thats rare for 2022. Walker is better than Hutch and saner than Kayvon. 

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Panthers are going to trade back at least once and walk away with Howell or Corral.  So it was written. 

I cant tell you all how much I am looking forward to my favorite 3 days of the year

It depends on who we trade with.  It would be nice if we trade with the Jets at #10.  They get their defensive players that they want and we would have 10 and 35 or 38 which could land us a QB and a solid O-lineman. 

• Pie 3

I think the cap room is insurance--if they trade back, do not get the qb, they can bring one in if necessary.  However, I really think part of the plan at QB is to see how Darnold does with an actual OL--

I think that is plan C, but it is a plan. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Trade down to acquire more draft capital. Take a QB later in the 1st.

I don't think this QB class is as bad as folks are saying or that this OT class is as special as they are saying. Everything draft related seems to get hugely exaggerated.

Last year, the QBs were better--so many think.

The QBs came from schools with solid defenses, solid weaponry, etc.  Major schools in their class:  Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, ND State (FCS powerhouse), and BYU (had a soft schedule).

This year?  

Ole Miss, Cincinnati, UNC, Liberty, and Pitt.

Of course they are not going to look as good--they were on programs that were not as established--so of course they appeared to be lesser QBs.

Less hype, less PR, less national spotlight=weak QB class.  Nope--not when the fourth overall pick was the best QB in 2022--when Davis Mills (3rd) was the second best. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4

Fitterer and his old team are just driving down the price of BM and Jimmy G through their positioning with these new QBs.

I could easily see that playing into what we want. Spreading word we’re not high on Baker and/or Jimmy G, get someone to trade up for Malik/Corral/Pickett, accrue picks and buy Baker on the low.

Then you have a guy who has shown he can bring a team at least to the playoffs until we can find a franchise QB. 

Makes sense to me.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Last year, the QBs were better--so many think.

The QBs came from schools with solid defenses, solid weaponry, etc.  Major schools in their class:  Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, ND State (FCS powerhouse), and BYU (had a soft schedule).

This year?  

Ole Miss, Cincinnati, UNC, Liberty, and Pitt.

Of course they are not going to look as good--they were on programs that were not as established--so of course they appeared to be lesser QBs.

Less hype, less PR, less national spotlight=weak QB class.  Nope--not when the fourth overall pick was the best QB in 2022--when Davis Mills (3rd) was the second best. 

That's a very valid point that I never really thought of.  The QBs last year were playing with a stacked team against lesser talent for most of their college career, so no wonder they struggled their rookie years.  This year's class would have many games with against equal or greater talent with maybe the exception of Cinncinnati.

2 minutes ago, davos said:

Fitterer and his old team are just driving down the price of BM and Jimmy G through their positioning with these new QBs.

I could easily see that playing into what we want. Spreading word we’re not high on Baker and/or Jimmy G, get someone to trade up for Malik/Corral/Pickett, accrue picks and buy Baker on the low.

Then you have a guy who has shown he can bring a team at least to the playoffs until we can find a franchise QB. 

Makes sense to me.

Can Jimmy G take our team to the playoffs?  His Niners team had a top defense and one of the top offensive minded head coaches, I'm not sure he gets us there.  I'm thinking 7-10 8-9 with Jimmy G as our starter and that's assuming we get a top LT to protect his blind side at 6.  

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Can Jimmy G take our team to the playoffs?  His Niners team had a top defense and one of the top offensive minded head coaches, I'm not sure he gets us there.  I'm thinking 7-10 8-9 with Jimmy G as our starter and that's assuming we get a top LT to protect his blind side at 6.  

Exactly, whats the point of a 9ish win season with either on a one year deal?  You going to reup either on a new multi year contract if he wins 9 games?  You going to hitch your wagon long term to Baker or Jimmy g?  We are dumb but I doubt we are that dumb at this point.   I have to imagine there have been some lessons learned along the way. 

Baker and/or Jimmy give this franchise zero value in 2022 and going forward. 

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Panthers are going to trade back at least once and walk away with Howell or Corral.  So it was written. 

I cant tell you all how much I am looking forward to my favorite 3 days of the year

Another thing that makes we want Howell more than any of the others.  

Howell had an amazing year in 2020 at UNC.  He had a solid O-line (which i think we have now) He had legit WRs (which we have) and a good running game (which we have) and a pretty decent TE. 

He has the ability to stretch the field and the pocket presence to maneuver or run. He's not a one read QB. 

He reminds me so much of Mac Jones by being so undervalued he slipped all the way to NE.  

I'm telling you now, at the end of 2022 season he is going to be one of the ones we wished we drafted. I've said it before and I'll say it again.   Sam Howell is being HIGHLY undervalued in this draft.

Guess we'll see. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I disagree. On paper, the edge rushers and OTs are strong. There's also potentially two top 10 CBs and there may be a WR in there too. Those are premium positions.

Granted it happened last year for a record breaking rookie receiver, its typically rare a team comes back this high in the top 10 for a non qb.  Sure its happened but its not the norm