• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers should take a QB (article)

Growl

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Not first but certainly top ten with a high probability of a top 5 pick.  

the panthers didn’t get a top 5 pick this season, now you want to “build the roster” and hope they get worse.

top 10 isn’t nearly good enough to acquire the kind of guys you want 

• Pie 3

Just now, Growl said:

the panthers didn’t get a top 5 pick this season, now you want to “build the roster” and hope they get worse.

top 10 isn’t nearly good enough to acquire the kind of guys you want 

I don’t hope they get worse I know they will get worse with rhule coaching and darnold at qb.  

• Poo 1

2 minutes ago, Growl said:

nothing that we’ve read has indicated that Matt rhule is the driving force behind selecting a QB, that’s just something that anti-QB people assumed because QB=Bad and Matt Rhule=Bad and so the two are lumped together rather than face the scary reality that the people in the building who want a QB are the ones who have more staying power

obviously we don’t for sure know their intentions, but it seems pretty clear from what they’ve said and what they’ve done that Dave tepper and Scott fitterer are the driving forces behind a selection of a QB.

It’s in his contract

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I don’t hope they get worse I know they will get worse with rhule coaching and darnold at qb.  

okay but the organization can’t make decisions centered around this kind of illogical hate bait

with an improved roster, objective logic would dictate that they improve this season, even if only by a game or two. Maybe they implode, it could happen, but “maybe” isn’t how you make these decisions. 

Edited by Growl

1 minute ago, Growl said:

okay but the organization can’t make decisions centered around this kind of illogical hate bait

with an improved roster, objective logic would dictate that they improve this season, even if only by a game or two. Maybe the implode, it could happen, but “maybe” isn’t how you make these decisions. 

Improved roster?  And the team can absolutely factor in where the team is now in regards to planning for the future.  They won’t do it because they think this is a playoff roster therefore leading them to make insane decisions 

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Improved roster?  And the team can absolutely factor in where the team is now in regards to planning for the future.  They won’t do it because they think this is a playoff roster therefore leading them to make insane decisions 

yes, an improved roster. If you think Evan Neal or Ikem ekwonwu are the can’t miss generational pieces that you claim they are, then how could the roster not be improved, when combined with the other additions?

unless of course they aren’t in which case there’s definitely no reason to bypass selecting a QB.

The Panthers signed one of the top two Offensive linemen in Corbett and Bozeman. IF the Panthers select, let's say Cross as OT with pick 6, AND Mcaffrey plays most of the season, do you really think the Panthers will be worse? Jaycee Horn will be back also. I would also bet sometime after the first round the Panthers sign Mayfield or Garrapalo. I don't see Rhule rolling out Darnold again. I highly doubt that team wins less than 5 games next year. Plus, multiple teams are already stockpiling 1st rounders next year. We aren't going to be in the position to take one of the top 2 QB's next year.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

You go and get the guy you want--the ones that are going to be game changers, even if it costs future capital.  Find the guys that put you over the top when you're at pick 6 (especially) If you think you found your Allen, Mahomes, you get them however you can.  And those QBs are found all over.  At 10, 12, in the 3rd (Russ), 4th (Dak), etc. etc.

I personally don't have that guy in this draft.  And it doesn't seem like the team does either, but hey, I could be wrong and be happy if we finally roll the dice somehow.  I do very much agree: You don't play this trade down game.  If there's a top talent you want, get him.  So then if we like a non-QB that much on offense at 6, then yes, get him.  I.E. Bengals last year with Chase over Sewell. 

Who knows regarding next year, there's a whole draft and season to play out.  Right now, Young and Stroud are the talk of the town, buuuut come this time next year, we could be talking Levis, McCall and Haener for all we know.

I would brace for an end of 1st trade UP much like the Ravens did for Lamar.  We may roll that type of dice.  I just don't see us falling back into this crappy veteran purgatory again with jobs on the line.   I will not be whining if we end up with a QB high (however that happens).  We're at least rolling the dice.

Just don't make it Pickett.  He screams bust, Hasselback at best.

Edited by davos

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

nothing that we’ve read has indicated that Matt rhule is the driving force behind selecting a QB, that’s just something that anti-QB people assumed because QB=Bad and Matt Rhule=Bad and so the two are lumped together rather than face the scary reality that the people in the building who want a QB are the ones who have more staying power

obviously we don’t for sure know their intentions, but it seems pretty clear from what they’ve said and what they’ve done that Dave tepper and Scott fitterer are the driving forces behind a selection of a QB.

It would be highly unlikely that Rhule has zero input in the QB selection process. This is going to be the QB installed in his offense. I detest Rhule, that's no secret, but this isn't about my dislike for him as a coach. His decision making regarding NFL caliber talent is questionable at best. If Tepper and Fitts are going to select a QB and tell Rhule to make him work, then they should have already fired him. This is about the big picture. The big picture is you either have 100% faith in your coach or you don't. With 1 pick in the first 2 days, we have to get this right at one of the 2 biggest positions of need we have. Rhule has already demonstrated with his QB choices and his decision at LT (starting Irving, calling Slater a guard after being announced all pro, and keeping BC on the bench) that he lacks the ability to make that decision. 

Just now, Louie said:

The Panthers signed one of the top two Offensive linemen in Corbett and Bozeman. IF the Panthers select, let's say Cross as OT with pick 6, AND Mcaffrey plays most of the season, do you really think the Panthers will be worse? Jaycee Horn will be back also. I would also bet sometime after the first round the Panthers sign Mayfield or Garrapalo. I don't see Rhule rolling out Darnold again. I highly doubt that team wins less than 5 games next year. Plus, multiple teams are already stockpiling 1st rounders next year. We aren't going to be in the position to take one of the top 2 QB's next year.

this is the other component of this

if your logic is “rhule is going to get a QB to save his job” then you better hope they draft one at 6, because if not then they are giving up future draft assets for a middle of the road player to assure them pick #17 in the draft next season

I'll agree that if a team loves a QB they don't trade DOWN to get him. That said, what if you don't love any of the QBs but understand the value of the rookie contract? 

Kenny Pickett seems like a guy that is "good" on a rookie deal and "bad" when you have to pay him $40M a season; I think Mac Jones is in similar territory. In that scenario I think the team should feel comfortable trading back and taking a QB they like (but not love) while acquiring assets to build out the rest of the team. 

I also agree that it is unrealistic to assume the Panthers will be in position for the top 2 QBs next year. The Texans are setting up to get that #1 pick and the Falcons barring taking a QB this season will be right there with them. Then there are the teams like the Eagles that will set the price at moving up at 3 1st-round picks.