• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How did we pick-up Sam's fifth year option when we knew we wanted Watson AND theres the franchise tag?

thunderraiden

Like, I just can't make it make sense. This team knew Watson was their first choice if he became available in 2022. They had never seen Darnold play. He had been the worst starter in the league to the point his own team had given up on him. I guess giving up a second round pick.. sure you wanna protect that investment... so wouldn't you just use the franchise tag right? That $18 mill could have got us a LG and another piece along with Mariotta or Trubisky to bridge QB play.

look at the Giants today. They just declined the 5th year option on Jones and said the franchise tag is still in play, thats amazing motivation and would have been great motivation for Darnold too.

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Because the difference between his option price and franchise price is over $10 million (QB franchise tag is 155% of his option salary).

Not saying that I agree or agreed with the move, but that is why.

Hindsight is 20/20

Edited by heelsnum1
  • Pie 2

According to Rhule he didn't even speak to Sam for weeks after they traded for him. I know I heard him say that in one of his press conferences in training camp. Maybe someone else remembers?

How do you do that with a guy you traded for?

None of this qb flip-flopping makes sense. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I'm guessing they were worried about the PR nightmare of trading a 2/4/6 for a guy and not committing to him for at least 2 years? On the flip side how pissed would everyone be if we didn't pick it up, and we were sitting here getting ready for the draft with no QB, and no 2nd rounder? ]

4 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

According to Rhule he didn't even speak to Sam for weeks after they traded for him. I know I heard him say that in one of his press conferences in training camp. Maybe someone else remembers?

How do you do that with a guy you traded for?

None of this qb flip-flopping makes sense. 

It's kinda like a Bar Rescue bar but it's an NFL team. And theres no guy to come in and tell everyone they suck ass and fix everything. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm guessing they were worried about the PR nightmare of trading a 2/4/6 for a guy and not committing to him for at least 2 years? On the flip side how pissed would everyone be if we didn't pick it up, and we were sitting here getting ready for the draft with no QB, and no 2nd rounder? ]

We would have Tribisky or Mariotta right now on a very team friendly deal and still in the same position.

And if he had played good we would have franchise tagged him, we obviously have the cap space.... judging by our $30 mill in cap space right now.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

They didn't "know" they still wanted Watson at that point.

They wanted to see what would happen with Darnold. Had he been good, they'd have left the Watson pursuit behind.

Yeah I'm not buying that either. They've been after Watson from the moment they lost out on what's his face in Detroit. I think he's on the Rams now.

Tepper - Rome wasn't built in a day.  You have to be patient.  We want to build this the right way from the ground up. 

Reality - Panthers wildly go after anyone and everyone.  Get rejected.  Then wildly go after bum QBs after getting rejected and over pay them and mortgage our future/draft picks in the process.  They go around and rent one year vets like Gilmore, Reddick, etc like a championship team would do.   I mean, if you are trying to slowly build this things.  Gilmore and Reddick are just rep stealers.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tepper - Rome wasn't built in a day.  You have be patient.  We want to build this the right way. 

Reality - Panthers wildly go after anyone and everyone.  Get rejected.  Then wildly go after bum QBs after getting rejected and over pay them and mortgage our future/draft picks in the process.  They go around and rent one year vets like Gilmore, Reddick, etc like a championship team would do.   I mean, if you are trying to slowly build this things.  Gilmore and Reddick are just rep stealers.  

That's what's so confusing.  If you are rebuilding you do it through the draft. You don't sign big name FA'S. In fact you do the opposite.  You flip your expensive vets to acquire draft capital to go after a young qb and LT to build around on offense, cornerstones on offense.  Same applies on defense. Which they've sorta done but not really.  It's FUBAR.

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Yeah I'm not buying that either. They've been after Watson from the moment they lost out on what's his face in Detroit. I think he's on the Rams now.

I do.

If Darnold would have worked out, he'd have been cheaper and waaaaaay less problematic than Watson.