• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 2 Game 3 Canes Vs Rangers 3:30pm

Here we go folks!  It’s Gameday!  3:30 puck drop!  Canes lead 2-0 in the series after a 2-0 win where we got goals from Smith and Aho. Aho has become the Ranger killer these past few years.  Not my words, apparently it’s going around all over the Rangers message boards. Already with 2 goals in this series. Raanta staying red hot with his first shutout making a case to be the starting netminder when Freddie is back. 

Wake up folks….Let’s fuging goooo!

A280FB7D-68CA-452F-806E-F4E52EA5B70C.jpeg

D79F3209-94A2-405E-A73A-4E602B36EEB4.jpeg

DA1153E3-740F-4F89-B279-1994DA2DEE79.jpeg

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Win today and it’s over. I don’t care who we play, it could be the fugging former Soviet Union, we aren’t losing four straight to the same team.

Gotta manage last change and we need to put up more goals than 1 to put this game away. 

So say we win this series and Tampa makes it. 
Any worries or do we match up better than the team that lost to Tampa 4-1. 
I don’t really follow other teams not named Hurricanes so I was surprised Tampa won 50 games and finished 3rd in their division. 
Seemed to still be really dangerous. 
Anyway, go Canes! Get 3-0 series lead and end this in NY. 

23 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

So say we win this series and Tampa makes it. 
Any worries or do we match up better than the team that lost to Tampa 4-1. 
I don’t really follow other teams not named Hurricanes so I was surprised Tampa won 50 games and finished 3rd in their division. 
Seemed to still be really dangerous. 
Anyway, go Canes! Get 3-0 series lead and end this in NY. 

I think we match up with Tampa well. The New York Islanders really frustrated Tampa last year with their forecheck and though Tampa eventually won the series, the Islanders were the closest to defeating the champs. I think if we really get on our forecheck then we can cause Tampa some problems.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

34 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think we match up with Tampa well. The New York Islanders really frustrated Tampa last year with their forecheck and though Tampa eventually won the series, the Islanders were the closest to defeating the champs. I think if we really get on our forecheck then we can cause Tampa some problems.

Better goalies than last year, Slavin is actually healthy Jarvis.... Tampa doesn’t have the fourth line they used too...... Tampa has played Toronoto and Florida two "regular" season teams.

Canes FB:

NEW YORK, NY. - The Carolina Hurricanes hope to take a 3-0 series advantage Sunday as they meet the New York Rangers for Game Three in the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

When: Sunday May 22, 3:30 p.m. EST

Watch: ESPN

Listen: 99.9 The Fan, Hurricanes.com/Listen, Hurricanes App

PROJECTED LINEUP

SERIES RECAPS:

• Game One: Sebastian Aho ties the game with 2:23 to go in regulation, Ian Cole wins it just 3:12 into the extra frame for Carolina.
  • Game Two: Antti Raanta records a 21-save shutout as the Canes take a 2-0 win and series lead.

THE QUICK HITS:

Keeping It Low Key: Through two games the series has just amassed five goals, four of them belonging to Carolina. Through the first two periods of Game One the big story was that the Rangers were prohibiting the Canes from getting anything going offensively, however a third period equalizer and then an overtime winner quickly changed the outcome. In Game Two New York was held completely off the score sheet, totaling just four high-danger chances at five-on-five according to NaturalStatTrick.com. With New York having last change today and the ability to potentially get some of their top dogs away from Jordan Staal's line, will things open up?

Rants Is Streaking: The only goal to have gotten by Antti Raanta through the two games came just 7:07 into the first period of Game One. In the 116:06 since, he's been perfect. Of all goalies on still active teams in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, Raanta's .939 save percentage trails only Jordan Binnington of St. Louis.

The Importance Of Special Teams: After both teams took just one penalty each in Game One, special teams became much more of a factor on Friday night. New York had four power play opportunities in the second contest of the series, while Carolina had three - each in moments to alter the game. Neither converted there and ironically enough the only non-empty net goal of the contest was a shorthanded tally by Brendan Smith. Will either power play be able to convert this afternoon?

Giving Up The Body: A big reason the Canes were able to keep the puck out of their net on Friday was because of their defensive unit's shot blocking. The team finished with 24 blocks and just 21 shots making their way onto Raanta. Brett Pesce led the way with his five blocks.

Third Pair Heroes: Third defensive pair partners Ian Cole and Brendan Smith have recorded the game-winning goals for Carolina thus far this series. Both only had one game-winning goal each during the regular season. Cole's Game One winner in overtime was just his second career postseason goal in his 104th appearance. For Smith, it was the first shorthanded goal by a Canes defenseman in the playoffs since the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals.

On The Other Side: Goaltender Igor Shesterkin was strong once again for New York in Game Two, however suffered the loss due to no goal support. He stopped 20 out of 21, including all five he faced while his team was shorthanded. On the other hand, both offensive superstars Artemi Panerin and Chris Kreider were held without a shot on goal in the contest.

ESPN Broadcast: Sean McDonough, Ray Ferraro and Emily Kaplan will be the broadcast talent for tonight's ESPN telecast. They will have the first four games of the series.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

What Are We Wearing?: The Canes will be wearing white today.

More Milestones: Sebastian Aho is one assist shy of passing Ron Francis for the most assists in franchise playoff history. He is also one point shy of passing Eric Staal for the most in franchise history.

NEW YORK, NY. - The Carolina Hurricanes will keep things routine for Sunday's Game Three, sticking with the same lineup that's led them to success in the first two games of the series.

Antti Raanta will once again hold down the fort in net after registering his first career Stanley Cup Playoffs shutout Friday. The netminder has stopped 48 out of 49 shots faced thus far this series.

Carolina's projected lineup for today's 3:30 p.m. puck drop is:

Forwards:

Teravainen - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Trocheck - Necas

Niederreiter - Staal - Fast

Domi - Kotkaniemi - Lorentz

Defensemen:

Slavin - DeAngelo

Skjei - Pesce

Smith - Cole

Starting Goalie:

Raanta

Injuries:

Frederik Andersen

Jordan Martinook

Scratches:

Ethan Bear

Derek Stepan

2 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

So far defense has been scoring. Pesce Skjei Tony D or Slavin today….

With the Rangers having last Change you might see some more offense from the Canes.... (Staals line has been absorbing big minutes at home) Personally I don't think last Change is as big of an advantage this series..... NYs first line isn't as good as Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta

• Pie 1