• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Jonathan Alexander, Browns were willing to eat 50% of Bakers salary($9m) and Panthers said no. Apparently, the max we want to take is $5m, playing hardball with them.

Julio

4 hours ago, SammyFranchise said:

Theres a very good chance Deshaun my be suspended for the entire year. If so, what does that mean for Cleveland? Do they convince Baker to play for one season, or trade still trade him?

Absolutely, makes perfect sense 👍.

Multiple long-tenured NFL reporters with real sources agree with you...

...including Jeff Schudel who is unquestionably the ax on the Browns 👊.

Browns ownership is also positioning to keep that door open 🤙...

https://www.news-herald.com/2022/03/26/browns-should-keep-mayfield-so-he-can-start-if-watson-is-suspended-jeff-schudel/amp/

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/16/baker-mayfield-deshaun-watson-browns-rumors/

8E56B203-F70D-4BF6-99A9-0B4CF9E20386.jpeg

469B5541-5C88-4A6C-9EB1-4E925F1B3927.jpeg

A88B4863-4807-452C-9614-FE7B6D250A85.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

-$30M next year if we don't roll over the majority of what's sitting there now. 

If I said the panthers had around 130 in space for 2023, less than one year ago would anyone believe it??

Ive truly loved finesserereererer draft hauls, but his cap managing has been buns.......I do not care Sal whats his face, the team had plenty future room when Fineserrerrerrerr got hired. All hes done is borrowed form the future hand over fist......... allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll while the team is a 5 win team!!!! Motherfuger .

44 minutes ago, Basbear said:

If I said the panthers had around 130 in space for 2023, less than one year ago would anyone believe it??

Ive truly loved finesserereererer draft hauls, but his cap managing has been buns.......I do not care Sal whats his face, the team had plenty future room when Fineserrerrerrerr got hired. All hes done is borrowed form the future hand over fist......... allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll while the team is a 5 win team!!!! Motherfuger .

The cap fug-up is on our owner, don't blame the cap manager.   Moneybags Tepper is the one that had a boner...yes, pun intended, for Watson.  Our cap space for 2023 was just fine before we started restructuring all these contracts to clear space for creeper-massage-guy.  Even though we didn't get Watson (THANK GOD!) enough damage was done in the courting/pining process.

Edited by 45catfan

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

The cap fug-up is on our owner, don't blame the cap manager.   Moneybags Tepper is the one that had a boner...yes, pun intended for Watson.  Our cap space for 2023 was just fine before went started restructuring  all these contracts to clear space for creeper-massage-guy.  Even though we didn't get Watson (THANK GOD!) enough damage was done in the courting/pining process.

I think you are right, it does feel like the Teppers normal pressure is what Jrichs was every few years about "no back2back winning seasons". 

It just tiresome with the constant cap issues....AND they were out of the tunnel this year!!!! I would not care as much if the team was WINNING or had lots of talent......they do not..... tiresome.....

• Pie 1

Anyway, should be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Mayfield wants to collect a paycheck, and if Watson does get a full year suspension, I would imagine they could work out any potential hard feelings (if such feeling exist, relax) and proceed as initially planned. I do not think Garoppolo would be a particularly good idea for Carolina, considering the portion of the salary they likely would have to pay + more draft compensation out the door. Decent quarterback, but has averaged just over 9 starts a year since he’s been in SF. 

I don’t know, maybe just roll with the rookie, and lie in the bed you made on the Sam Darnold front? 

Edited by ellis
  • Pie 1
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I think you are right, it does feel like the Teppers normal pressure is what Jrichs was every few years about "no back2back winning seasons". 

It just tiresome with the constant cap issues....AND they were out of the tunnel this year!!!! I would not care as much if the team was WINNING or had lots of talent......they do not..... tiresome.....

If I remember correctly, prior to the restructures to clear room to sign Watson, our cap room for 2023 was top 1/3 instead of almost dead last.

2 minutes ago, ellis said:

Anyway, should be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Mayfield wants to collect a paycheck, and if Watson does get a full year suspension, I would imagine they could work out any potential hard feelings and proceed as initially planned. I do not think Garoppolo would be a particularly good idea for Carolina, considering the portion of bus salary they likely would have to pay + more draft compensation out the door. Decent quarterback, but have averaged just over 9 starts a year since he’s been in SF. 

I don’t know, maybe just roll with the rookie, and lie in the bed you made on the Sam Darnold front? 

That would make sense if we didn't have  HC on the hot seat.   Tepper can go to bat for Rhule all he want to, but another sub-.500 season almost forces his hand to part ways with Matty-boy.

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

Anyway, should be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Mayfield wants to collect a paycheck, and if Watson does get a full year suspension, I would imagine they could work out any potential hard feelings (if such feeling exist, relax) and proceed as initially planned. I do not think Garoppolo would be a particularly good idea for Carolina, considering the portion of the salary they likely would have to pay + more draft compensation out the door. Decent quarterback, but has averaged just over 9 starts a year since he’s been in SF. 

Which puts us right back where we started only with a better backup.

Kids better put their big boy pants on cause it's going to be painful to watch.

5 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If I remember correctly, prior to the restructures to clear room to sign Watson, our cap room for 2023 was top 1/3 instead of almost dead last.

Best I remember(o boy), this past year(2021) panthers had 110 million in space during 2020. 

They had close to 130 in space for 2023....now its -36........why????????

The big brains had got their hands on 2022/23 credit cards and maxxed them out, when 110 in cap space was available. CMC, motown, shaq, anderson ALL pushed money towards the future, more than once.... I think Motown cap number next year is 25 million, CMC is around 20..........The second year they re-did Motowns contract and did it again this past......why even do a deal if you keep pushing the payment forward......

Watch they will have to cut CMC, Motown, or Shaq simply cause the team made their cap number 30 million. Plus it will come will 13 million in dead cap as welll....tiresome....

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, ellis said:

We all need to pray to all football gods that Matt Corral is the chosen one ver2.40

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Which puts us right back where we started only with a better backup.

Kids better put their big boy pants on cause it's going to be painful to watch.

Nothing about this is optimal for the short-term. Darnold hasn’t overcome his bad mechanical habits, and I’m not sure anything short of CMC healthy for 17 games will insulate Sam from that—and even then, he’s limited. 

Corral has promise, but he’s a 3rd rounder. We’ll see if he can win the job early and over-perform against the general yr 1 expectations. 

Jimmy G is not overly-impressive without the insulation of Shanahan’s scheme, their run game, Deebo taking quick screens, jet sweeps and pop passes. Right shoulder surgery, and has a prior track record of playing about 60% of the time in a given season. Bridgewater-like short-area processor, which is fine, if you can accept the limitations. 

I know they can lower Burns cap number some and do the same dumbass moves theyve been pulling on Shaq/Motown/CMC on DJs new contract and lower his 20 million cap number too...... BUT with -36,000,000 in the red and the only QB on the roster is Matt "please please be the one" Corral.....panthers could not sign any decent QB for peanuts.......plus forget about any other FAs.....draft needs 10 million and in season you need 5.....

so

maths 36+10+5= how the fug???

For S&G, say Sam darnold shocks the world and has a 1st team all-pro season.....panthers would have to pull all sorts of tricks to even think about tagging him. They are in a sad state if some magic doesnt happen.

Edited by Basbear

3 minutes ago, ellis said:

Nothing about this is optimal for the short-term. Darnold hasn’t overcome his bad mechanical habits, and I’m not sure anything short of CMC healthy for 17 games will insulate Sam from that—and even then, he’s limited. 

Corral has promise, but he’s a 3rd rounder. We’ll see if he can win the job early and over-perform against the general yr 1 expectations. 

Jimmy G is not overly-impressive without the insulation of Shanahan’s scheme, their run game, Deebo taking quick screens, jet sweeps and pop passes. Right shoulder surgery, and has a prior track record of playing about 60% of the time in a given season. Bridgewater-like short-area processor, which is fine, if you can accept the limitations. 

If I had a say in the thing I would force Rhule to live with Sam and let the chips fall where they may. They've dug this latrine deep enough.  It's time to take his lumps with this culture building promise. No more bailouts. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1