• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam on last season

CRA

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

so, cam, how do you feel about this situation down here in carolina?

I have not listen to much.  Skipped around.  Bit I heard, you can tell he isn't ready to talk because he was to be employable.  He did hint at the rest of folks upholding their end of the bargain is crucial to success but he wasn't going to get into all that. 

Former NFL linebacker Channing Crowder, one of the hosts of The Pivot Podcast, pushed back against Newton.

“You are 33 years old,” Crowder said. “You done got old. You’re one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the world right now? Cam, I cannot accept that. I can’t accept it. I saw what you did in New England. When you went back to Carolina, I saw what happened. Like, the proof’s in the pudding.”

Crowder remained very aggressive regarding the notion that Cam isn’t who he used to be. Newton nevertheless disagreed strongly with the idea that he doesn’t have it anymore, ultimately citing the “fuged up situations” mentioned above.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/07/cam-newton-blames-himself-for-f-ked-up-situations-in-new-england-and-carolina/#comments

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Former NFL linebacker Channing Crowder, one of the hosts of The Pivot Podcast, pushed back against Newton.

“You are 33 years old,” Crowder said. “You done got old. You’re one of the best 32 quarterbacks in the world right now? Cam, I cannot accept that. I can’t accept it. I saw what you did in New England. When you went back to Carolina, I saw what happened. Like, the proof’s in the pudding.”

Crowder remained very aggressive regarding the notion that Cam isn’t who he used to be. Newton nevertheless disagreed strongly with the idea that he doesn’t have it anymore, ultimately citing the “fuged up situations” mentioned above.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/07/cam-newton-blames-himself-for-f-ked-up-situations-in-new-england-and-carolina/#comments

He basically acknowledged Cam was techincally better today than some of the bottom 32.  But the league doesn't carry about that.  Nor does he. They have to develop guys with bigger ceilings and long term potential.  

Which is true.  A full prep going into a season, Cam would increase your odds of winning over some of the young QBs.  But developing and playing those guys outweighs whatever edge Cam would have snap 1 of week 1.  Id want to start the rookie and young players over Cam. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Washington game was just a handful of cherry picked plays for Cam.   That basically has a one week shelf life.     Rhule also admitted the plan wasn't to keep him out there that long w/ such a limited set of plays but it was working. 

So his next start he didn't know the offense and their was tape on the hand picked Cam centric plays he could run without knowing the playbook, verbage, etc.  

I mean, Cam is done.  But what he says makes sense.  Rhule used him to stop the boos.  Once the magic was off his return and folks got a lot at what Rhule was going to do with him it was ballgame.   

And what about his next three starts after that? His performance as a passer basically got worse and worse as the year went on (if we exclude the Miami game in his 2nd start which was one of the worst QB performances I’ve seen, although I’d put that mostly on the o-line). If the problem was that he was thrust into the QB position before getting a chance to learn the playbook, then I would expect him to look more and more comfortable under center as the season progressed and he had more time to learn the playbook. But in reality, it was the opposite.

• Beer 2

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

And what about his next three starts after that? His performance as a passer basically got worse and worse as the year went on (if we exclude the Miami game in his 2nd start which was one of the worst QB performances I’ve seen, although I’d put that mostly on the o-line). If the problem was that he was thrust into the QB position before getting a chance to learn the playbook, then I would expect him to look more and more comfortable under center as the season progressed and he had more time to learn the playbook. But in reality, it was the opposite.

What are you arguing? Cam is done as a starter.  I don't think he is good.  That doesn't mean there isn't truth in what he says.  It's the whole 2 things can be true factor of life.  

Matt Rhule gave Cam Newton 3 games as the guy and they weren't consecutive.  The rest were all QB platoons.   There was no actual time for Cam to learn and show what you wanted.  And on to top of all that? The rest of the offense was going from Brady to whatever Rhule stooge they inserted.  

I mean, it was a bad spot.  That can be true.  Cam can also be washed.  That can be true. One being true doesn't make the other false. 

• Beer 2

Personally before anyone says he’s done, it would be nice for him to have an entire off season with a team that has a good identity for him to play for.

the panthers are a dumpster fire and quite honestly anyone would have looked “done”

• Pie 4

1 minute ago, JARROD said:

Personally before anyone says he’s done, it would be nice for him to have an entire off season with a team that has a good identity for him to play for.

the panthers are a dumpster fire and quite honestly anyone would have looked “done”

They were a dumpster fire because the line couldn't block now the line is great, on paper.

1 hour ago, CRA said:

The Washington game was one of the better QB performances we saw last year.  That game still had similar Cam returns juice that AZ had. 

that L was on Phil Snow and Jackson IMO.  Waited way to late to put Gilmore on Scary Terry on passing downs.

No doubt.  The fact that it took so long to put a DPOY corner on their best WR is a bit embarrassing.  Terry was stealing Jackson’s lunch money and mooning him through the church windows on Sunday morning 

25 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Read the quote again. It clearly says the opposite.

they kept talking about it though.  He went into the fact the league sets the best 32 because what they need and want.  So being a little better than Justin Fields doesn't matter.  His ceiling and potential is higher than Cam's.... and they need to get to figuring it out.