• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Close To Acquiring Brent Burns

I dunno... Burns is like 37 years old and Lane Pederson is a 24 year old right handed center who played in 44 total games in the past 2 seasons between trips back and forth to the AHL.

The Sharks are paying 33% of Burns's $8M salary ($2.64M), which means the Canes are paying $5.46M for a 37-year old D-man after trading away a 26-year old, $5M a year D-man.

WTF?

19 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I dunno... Burns is like 37 years old and Lane Pederson is a 24 year old right handed center who played in 44 total games in the past 2 seasons between trips back and forth to the AHL.

The Sharks are paying 33% of Burns's $8M salary ($2.64M), which means the Canes are paying $5.46M for a 37-year old D-man after trading away a 26-year old, $5M a year D-man.

WTF?

The actual $$ is less than the $5.46M.  They went for Burns to replace DeAngelo.

17 minutes ago, Rocky Davis said:

The actual $$ is less than the $5.46M.  They went for Burns to replace DeAngelo.

"San Jose is reportedly retaining one-third of Burns' $8-million cap hit in the swap." 

"Additionally, the Sharks will retain 33 percent of Burns’ $8 million AAV contract, dropping his cap hit from $8 million to $5.33 million."

Technicality- the Canes are still paying more for a 37-year old D-man then the 26-year old D-man they just traded.

And I know they had to replace TDA, but is this the best the Canes could do on the first day of FA? Really?

20 hours ago, Raleigh PF said:

They almost landed Marchment before Dallas swooped in and took him.

No doubt the Canes are not as good a team today.

I don't think our FO really cares about a cup. They just want us good enough to flame out in the playoffs.