• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Freddie Kitchens: Baker Mayfied’s passion is an attribute, not a detriment

WarPanthers89

Slow time so another article I came across. Florio has an attitude about him that really gets annoying.

Last year, when the Eagles sent quarterback Carson Wentz to the Colts, Wentz was able to tell himself that he was right and the Eagles were wrong. After one year in Indy, it became obvious that he was wrong about who was right and who was wrong.

This year, the Browns have sent quarterback Baker Mayfield to the Panthers. Is Mayfield telling himself that it’s the team’s fault that things didn’t work? Does he take any responsibility for how things went in Cleveland?

It’s an important point to keep in mind moving forward, Eventually, and inevitably, Mayfield will encounter adversity in Carolina. Whether he doesn’t win the starting job (it’s possible Sam Darnoldgets the gig) or struggles in the early part of the season or gets injured or has a bad showing in a win and snubs the media or whatever, at some point his maturity will be tested.

Enter his passion. The passion is the root of the periodic displays of immaturity. He wants to win. When he doesn’t win (or when things don’t go his way), he gets salty. He gets snippy.

Former Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, whose one-year tenure saw Mayfield regress from his success as a rookie, said in a recent appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio that Mayfield’s passion is “an attribute .  . . not necesarily a detriment.”

It can be both. For the best quarterbacks, the challenge becomes using the passion to push the right buttons, but to not let the passion cause problems. That’s the strangest thing about the obsession with winning that so many pro athletes exhibit. In a kid, the compulsion to win at anything and everything is viewed as a negative. In an adult, it’s regarded as admirable.

“The difference between good, great, and elite is sometime the passion you bring to the game,” Kitchens said.

He’s right. Still, that passion causes the adult to behave at times like a child, it’s not good. It poisoned the well for Mayfield in Cleveland. It may have contributed to Kitchens, now a senior football analyst at the University of South Carolina, getting fired after only one year as the head coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/07/15/freddie-kitchens-baker-mayfieds-passion-is-an-attribute-not-a-detriment/

1C9D4CC2-6FDF-4157-8E20-ED9AC6B22B07.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Cam had the same issue when he didn't win especially early in his career.  But he turned into a pretty darn great QB for us and was a good leader. Being passionate about football is a big reason the players have climbed to this level anyway.  What players are good losers and end up elite. Tom Brady reportedly yells and berates teammates all the time. Does he get called out?  Like always, guys who win have lots of apologists while guys who don't win as often get mostly critics.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Cam had the same issue when he didn't win especially early in his career.  But he turned into a pretty darn great QB for us and was a good leader. Being passionate about football is a big reason the players have climbed to this level anyway.  What players are good losers and end up elite. Tom Brady reportedly yells and berates teammates all the time. Does he get called out?  Like always, guys who win have lots of apologists while guys who don't win as often get mostly critics.

The problem with baker as I have read is that he would call out a lineman for missing a block and then throw a int on the next play.  That kind of poo didn’t fly and split the locker room.    

• The D 1

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Florio always has to push his agenda. 

Kitchens' take is encouraging. He understands Mayfield on and off the field as well as anyone in the NFL and has no reason to lie to cover for him.

Theres a Baker interview on Youtube with Colin Cownerd after he was drafted and it was clear who was being an immature dickhead between the two of them. It's like Corral and the drinking stuff, he mentioned that he partied too much as a freshman like most kids do and now all the sudden he has all this scrutiny. Like Florio doesn't drunk Tweet every weekend from his cabin

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

The problem with baker as I have read is that he would call out a lineman for missing a block and then throw a int on the next play.  That kind of poo didn’t fly and split the locker room.    

I guess Brady has never done that in his career. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How many times did that actually happen though? He has 56 career INTs. How many are directly attributable to him? Let's say 75%. That's 42. So for argument's sake, let's say he has 42 career INTs that are directly his fault via a boneheaded decision or flat out bad throw. Of those 42, how many do you think came directly after berating an OL for missing a block? Seems most likely to me that situation was probably a one off.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Theres a Baker interview on Youtube with Colin Cownerd after he was drafted and it was clear who was being an immature dickhead between the two of them. It's like Corral and the drinking stuff, he mentioned that he partied too much as a freshman like most kids do and now all the sudden he has all this scrutiny. Like Florio doesn't drunk Tweet every weekend from his cabin

I honestly don't know why players continue to grant interviews to professional trolls. Fug 'em. You don't need that type of publicity anyway. I'd blow them off. Yeah, they're going to formulate their narrative around that and paint me in a bad light but like I said, fug 'em. I wouldn't care.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Um, okay.   Not sure what your point is but okay nonetheless 

Not sure what your point is either. Fiery guys want to win. If it causes some players to resent it whose problem is that anyway. That stuff gets way overblown. Go back and look at stories about why Brady left New England and the locker room issues. Didn't stop him from winning the superbowl with Tampa.

• Pie 1

Just now, panthers55 said:

Not sure what your point is either. Fiery guys want to win. If it causes some players to resent it whose problem is that anyway. That stuff gets way overblown. Go back and look at stories about why Brady left New England and the locker room issues. Didn't stop him from winning the superbowl with Tampa.

Sigh.  I don’t think simply being “fiery” is why some players resented him.  It goes beyond that and has followed him since college.    He’s done some douche level poo in the past.   If you think it’s overblown then that fine but there are folks in the nfl, players and coaches, that don’t think so.  

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sigh.  I don’t think simply being “fiery” is why some players resented him.  It goes beyond that and has followed him since college.    He’s done some douche level poo in the past.   If you think it’s overblown then that fine but there are folks in the nfl, players and coaches, that don’t think so.  

Truth is you don't know anything that happened and are making mountains out of molehills for little that has been said by only a few talking heads. You don't like him because you are a Corral boy and are trying to troll against Baker. Troll someone else.  Meanwhile I am getting ready for a great training camp and good stories and insights once the dead period ends. Good fishing....

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Truth is you don't know anything that happened and are making mountains out of molehills for little that has been said by only a few talking heads. You don't like him because you are a Corral boy and are trying to troll against Baker. Troll someone else.  Meanwhile I am getting ready for a great training camp and good stories and insights once the dead period ends. Good fishing....

A few talking heads.   Got it.  Just a few are sullying bakers good name.