• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriots Joint Practice Day 1

ncfan

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Has to be bias because nobody could reasonably disagree with you, right? 🙄

I've asked this before, and to date nobody has stepped up and answered

Outside of the "year three" stuff and other generally speculative bullsh-t and happy talk, no one has given me any evidence that suggests Matt Rhule has suddenly become a competent NFL coach and everything is going to be better this year.

On the flipside, I can point you to over two years worth of evidence that says Matt Rhule is garbage.

So if you've got an actual reasonable argument why Rhule is going to be turn the corner and be a competent to good NFL head coach this year, here's your chance to present it.

Give me all the reasons why I should trust him despite everything I've seen so far.

His first year was quite impressive, actually. The second year was such a catastrophe that I can understand a loss in confidence, but NO ONE and no coach is going to look good with the 31st ranked O-line. I will reserve judgement for this year. At the end of the day, regardless of potential over loyalty to veterans etc. You are not in the building. I trust the O-line Coach, O-Coordinator, and HC's opinions on starting line-ups than die-hard fan on a forums opinion. Keep Pounding. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Cornflake said:

His first year was quite impressive, actually. The second year was such a catastrophe that I can understand a loss in confidence, but NO ONE and no coach is going to look good with the 31st ranked O-line. I will reserve judgement for this year. At the end of the day, regardless of potential over loyalty to veterans etc. You are not in the building. I trust the O-line Coach, O-Coordinator, and HC's opinions on starting line-ups than die-hard fan on a forums opinion. Keep Pounding. 

Granted, but the O-line was built to his specifications.

• Beer 3

22 minutes ago, bruceleeroy said:

You are the most uninformed uneducated person I have ever seen when it comes to Baker Mayfield.

It's just straight up being a hater at this point.  I think Baker stole his g/f in high school or something and he never got over it.  

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, coffee said:

Mr Scot, you and I had a cordial and enjoyable disagreement in another thread.  With the same spirit, I'm going to answer these comments.  Bear in mind that I don't disagree about Rhule.  I'm just not at the point that I agree yet either.  I think there are circumstances that force me to go into year three with an open mind.

Aside from the obvious "Competition brings out the best" view, Baker is known for the chip on his shoulder.  From what I've read, he's quite similar to Smitty and does drastically better when it isn't handed to him.  There is also the fact that we had yet to see what Darnold could do with a decent O-line.  Baker had an exceptional O-line in Cleveland.  Everyone has had their feelings on the matter, but I don't think we had a real opportunity to compare them until this competition.  I would handle this the same as Rhule did, but I would now pronounce it Mayfield's job.

Explain the idea that a guy who was drafted at #6 overall specifically to be the left tackle had to "earn it" when most other teams will just slot them in and give them the reps they need to start learning immediately.

Same principle as above.  The "earn it" mentality works wonders for both the new guy and the guy fighting to hold on to his spot.  Again, I'd do the same.

Talk to me about why we give camp and preseason reps to a quarterback who's not going to make the team over a guy we're supposed to be prepping for the future.

I actually don't understand the complaints here.  They've made it quite clear that they feel Corral can hopefully progress to be a QB1 after sitting a year.  They seem to be playing our QBs exactly as they should according to that view.  If he's going to hopefully not be playing this year, the main playing time should go to the ones who may be playing this year.  You say 'a QB who's not going to make the team,' but both Baker and Darnold spent a good portion of last year injured.  As much as we want to assume QB1 will be healthy all year, it is a must that we prepare.  What if Baker goes on IR after Friday's game?  It would be a horrible coaching decision to have given more reps to a rookie who won't take the field and little or none to the 2 QBs that have to fill in until Baker returns.

Bottom Line: I don't trust Matt Rhule. He has yet to give me any reason to do so.

Can he change that opinion? Sure, but it's got to come with wins, not optimism or speculation.

I agree with this statement.  We haven't seen enough to be able to trust him.  I just don't feel we've seen enough to write him off either.  If, for example, Teddy Bridgewater had gone to Denver and been magnificent, I'd think our QB issues might be coaching.  As it stands, I just think we haven't seen enough to know what he can do with a decent QB and a decent O-line.  

On the competition thing, I'm not a big fan of using psycho-manipulative type techniques when coaching adults. If they can't be motivated into doing a good job, I don't think they can be tricked into it.

As far as Ekwonu, he definitely doesn't strike me as someone who needs any additional motivation. he could likely use some additional practice though.

To be clear, the quarterback who isn't going to make the team is PJ Walker. Word from the radio was that he was being showcased in the hope of helping him find his next job once the Panthers cut him. That's just flat stupid. Helping PJ Walker find other NFL employment is absolutely not the Panthers responsibility. Getting Matt Corral up to speed is though, and seeing reps that could go to a guy with a future here wasted on a guy who doesn't is pretty much coaching malpractice.

Bottom Line on Rhule: Two years of five win seasons where the second one actually looked even worse than the first is enough for me.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Anyone else notice who the QB was throwing to CMC here... 

Comments on the throw....?

Honestly?

Throw is late and gave the LB time to get close because CMC was about 3 zip codes away from him out of his break. 

That said, in Matts defense hes probably only thrown to any of the starters a handful of time. I'd expect the timing to be off.

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Low and away from the defender, seems fine to me. 

i agree. Not enough room on the boundary to put it over the top. Throw it only where CMC can get it. 

However, I wonder if he could have put it over the top when CMC blew past his man.....

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Beer 1