• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darnold’s job was to What?!

ncfan

A little context..

No competition in Washington because the Commanders gave up a 2nd and 2 3rds plus absorbing 28 million contract...

Not the same as Baker for a 4th and Cleveland paying 10.5 mil and Baker taking a 3 mil paycut.. To be here..

A better comparison is Teddy last year.. Who was in a competition with Lock that he won.. And we paid him to be there for a 5th round pick...

Back to your program..

3 minutes ago, TheBlue said:

BRO.... context absolutely matters. Are you kidding me? You think Rhule is going to have a mid season QB competition where a UDFA goes up against the franchises best former MVP QB? thats the situation you are trying to argue right. Just stop man.

But your argument was fairness and not just giving jobs to people.  That locker rooms demand it. 

so in context, Cam rolled off the couch, didn’t know anything about our offense and immediately took PJ’s job.  PJ, the guy Rhule went into every season and deemed capable if that moment ever were to arise.  That the  locker room I assume believed in.  And overall, that locker room knew PJ more than Cam.  

now obviously going with Cam was the right call.  Because no one cares about fairness to PJ.  We we cared about Cam, some excitement/magic and we hoped to actually win.  

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

A little context..

No competition in Washington because the Commanders gave up a 2nd and 2 3rds plus absorbing 28 million contract...

Not the same as Baker for a 4th and Cleveland paying 10.5 mil and Baker taking a 3 mil paycut.. To be here..

A better comparison is Teddy last year.. Who was in a competition with Lock that he won.. And we paid him to be there for a 5th round pick...

Back to your program..

Thats part of it but also its irresponsible to ignore that Heinicke was a UDFA CAREER back up that only ever saw playing time because Fitzpatrick went down as early as he did. Did he play well for a back up in his starts? sure. Do you give that kid the keys and not look for an actual starter? no. Key words on "Actual Starter" say what you want about Wentz' ability but he is a starter in the league when he is healthy. 

By CRAs logic Kyle Allen should have been in a QB battle the following year. Its a ridiculous notion and CRA knows hes being disingenuous trying to push it.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

But your argument was fairness and not just giving jobs to people.  That locker rooms demand it. 

so in context, Cam rolled off the couch, didn’t know anything about our offense and immediately took PJ’s job.  PJ, the guy Rhule went into every season and deemed capable if that moment ever were to arise.  That the  locker room I assume believed in.  And overall, that locker room knew PJ more than Cam.  

now obviously going with Cam was the right call.  Because no one cares about fairness to PJ.  We we cared about Cam, some excitement/magic and we hoped to actually win.  

No. you introduced fairness. my argument was about respect and winning a locker room over. you are REALLY BAD at this. you cant even straw man correctly. 

8 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

The QB competition was always more about Baker than Sam. 
Everyone is acting like Baker is a hall of fame talent with no baggage.

Any young QB with with leadership and maturity questions, you make him earn his spot.

Nobody has said Baker didn't have to come into camp and work. Sam had leadership questions and he was the statistical worst QB of the last few years when we signed him to that 18 million dollar option and then Rhule coddled him all through camp and tried to hide him in preseason to the point even the official team website had to finally be like "okay guys we're playing Sam we promise". Darnold didn't earn a starting job here or in NY he was handed it and that's why he went on a podcast after being the worst starting QB in the NFL last season and sounded like an entitled jackass.

Edited by frankw

38 minutes ago, frankw said:

Nobody has said Baker didn't have to come into camp and work. Sam had leadership questions and he was the statistical worst QB of the last few years when we signed him to that 18 million dollar option and then Rhule coddled him all through camp and tried to hide him in preseason to the point even the official team website had to finally be like "okay guys we're playing Sam we promise". Darnold didn't earn a starting job here or in NY he was handed it and that's why he went on a podcast after being the worst starting QB in the NFL last season and sounded like an entitled jackass.

I quit reading after "coddled." Don't quote me then spout out cliche buzzwords, son. I will turn this message board around and take you home right this instant.

2 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

I quit reading after "coddled." Don't quote me then spout out cliche buzzwords, son. I will turn this message board around and take you home right this instant.

Not surprised a Rhule slurper doesn't want to hear the truth. Have fun with that. Cheers.

1 minute ago, Khaki Lackey said:

You will see no Rhule slurping in my post history, kind sir. Not unlike critical thinking in yours. Give me some more hackneyed talking points. Use "reps" this time.

The real rub is if Matt Rhule hadn't gotten his jimmies rustled when Teddy Bridgewater called out his offensive coaching staff for ineptitude we would not be saddled with Darnold and this  neverending convo about another teams draft failure in the first place.

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

The real rub is if Matt Rhule hadn't gotten his jimmies rustled when Teddy Bridgewater called out his offensive coaching staff for ineptitude we would not be saddled with Darnold and this  neverending convo about another teams draft failure in the first place.

Well, getting rid of Teddy was one of the few things Rhule got right. We tried, it didn't work. In hindsight, yeah, signing Darnold was bad, but the worst decision of them all was that 5th year option. Absolutely crizazzlebeans. Do we know that the option is 100% on Rhule though? Probably is, but Fitts should have lobbied hard against that one.

1 minute ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Well, getting rid of Teddy was one of the few things Rhule got right. We tried, it didn't work. In hindsight, yeah, signing Darnold was bad, but the worst decision of them all was that 5th year option. Absolutely crizazzlebeans. Do we know that the option is 100% on Rhule though? Probably is, but Fitts should have lobbied hard against that one.

Don't hate Matt Rhule. Don't support or engage in people making fun of his weight or his appearance or all this Fhule nonsense. If we went on to have a winning season and to the playoffs I would acknowledge and be happy he has proven people myself included wrong. But just as Ron Rivera received a great deal of blistering criticism that IMO was worse than what we are seeing now it was always going to happen to Matt too to some degree based on how he dropped his nutsack on the table and threw down the gauntlet with Cam Newton as his first order of business and did one thing after saying another. Following that up with the QB choices so far not even mentioning other factors is plenty justification for the criticism he has received. But I do agree that Fitterer should not get a pass. There's an odd dynamic here with Panthers general managers where fans immediately kick off a bromance of sorts and both Dave Gettleman and Scott Fitterer benefited from that before they had had actually done anything significant. But hey let's hope this team turns the corner. First order of business is capitalizing on the new look NFC South now without Drew Brees and Sean Payton. There should be no excuse not to this year.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

The QB competition was always more about Baker than Sam. 
Everyone is acting like Baker is a hall of fame talent with no baggage.

Any young QB with with leadership and maturity questions, you make him earn his spot.

The job was always Baker's to lose, not win. You don't pursue 2 FA QBs if the answer is possibly on your roster. Does Baker have problems, sure. But he doesn't have Sam problems. 

If he has maturity or health issues that are problems before he steps foot on the field, well that's an issue for the FO that they should have handled before the trade, not after.