• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Could Be our “Brees”

2 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

He started for 4 seasons there (2002-2005)

Ok, thanks I didn't iirc. So we have the offense and Coach to make Baker Mayfield into Drew Brees?

So now Baker Mayfield is Drew Brees? 

Sorry, I've got to see it first before I can believe that. 

As of now. No way.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I know everyone here hates Drew Brees (me included), but there’s no doubt he was a great AFC QB that brought a new winning era to a downtrodden NFCS team and made them annual playoff contenders. Baker could be that for us.

If you compare Bree’s San Diego stats before NO and Baker’s Cleveland stats before CAR, they are comparable (Baker’s are actually better btw).

Drew Brees - 6’0”

-5 seasons

-59 games

-12,348 yards

-80 TDs

-53 INTs

Baker Mayfield - 6’1”

-4 seasons

-60 games

-14,125 yards

-92 TDs

-56 INTs

I know these are different eras for the passing game, but I’d say this is at least encouraging for Baker’s prospects of being a franchise QB here. 

Also, Baker is at a much larger disadvantage with HC, but let’s see what happens.

Always said this to myself...but refrained from saying it.... but we will need to elevate the coaching to see any fruition from this kids skills...

• Pie 1

what is too far north?  Cleveland is only 40 miles in from that lake.  Have you just never watched Cleveland play at home in November and December.  It is common knowledge about how badly the winds swirl in that stadium.  Plays hell with the passing game and special teams play

• Pie 3

26 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Brees was a Charger for two years if I remember correctly. Baker was a four year Brown. They had plenty of time to see if he was the next Brees or not.

Spoiler alert: ...

You don’t remember correctly. He was a Charger for 5 years with very similar numbers to Baker’s current stats. It’s already been posted here. Brees found Peyton though and Baker got stuck with Rhule.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't consider it an excuse it's more of a lack of information and also just a hierarchy of blame. Rhule is at the top so he should get the bulk of the blame. We can speculate on what percentage of what move is assigned to who but the reality is that we don't know.

What I do know is that Rhule is leading this organization after Tepper, so the bulk of the overall blame is rightfully his.

We are set up like a miniature bureaucracy: it is next to impossible to figure out who is actually responsible for what. 

I hope things are clearer inside the organization than they are outside, but who knows?

• Beer 2

27 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

So you are saying is that Matt Rhule is the coach to improve Baker to a Brees level QB?

Rhule the QB Whisperer has already whiffed on Teddy/Sam/Cam/Sam/Corrals development, what makes you think this is a better offense that Cleveland? So you expect turf to improve Bakers game to a career 65%+ passer? That's Tom Brady and Drew Brees level. All of a sudden after four years in the NFL Baker is going to improve.

What is here to help his improvement? Again, he couldn't improve Teddy/Sam/Cam/Sam/PJ/Corral why is Baker any different or better?

Spoiler alert guys: don't drink the Kool Aid 

Ben McAdoo, fool

3 hours ago, joemac said:

I know man, poo. God forbid the fan base get excited about the first legit QB we’ve had in like 5 years. Everybody should just be quiet and miserable until we draft and develop a first round QB and Rhule gets fired. 

He’s not legit yet, and that’s perfectly fine but don’t flood the forums with knee jerk bi polar threads mid season with your tantrum epiphanies everyone already knew long ago. If you can refrain from that we are good. No need to double down on stupidity since you guys are already comparing Bake to Brees lmao

36 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Brees was a Charger for two years if I remember correctly. Baker was a four year Brown. They had plenty of time to see if he was the next Brees or not.

Spoiler alert: ...

Uhhhh no. Baker started 1 more game than Brees with their first teams. Both started 4 seasons. Baker had more yards and more TDs than Brees. Baker threw 3 more INTs. I mean it’s in the first post of this thread.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

He’s not legit yet, and that’s perfectly fine but don’t flood the forums with knee jerk bi polar threads mid season with your tantrum epiphanies everyone already knew long ago. If you can refrain from that we are good. No need to double down on stupidity since you guys are already comparing Bake to Brees lmao

Who the fug are you talking to bro? When have I ever “flooded the forums” with any kind of threads like that? I barely start any threads and if I do, it’s nothing like that. And as for that comparison, it’s a valid one based on their stats their first 4 years starting. Actually Baker has more yards and TDs. So….yeah. 

• Pie 4

18 minutes ago, topdaug said:

what is too far north?  Cleveland is only 40 miles in from that lake.  Have you just never watched Cleveland play at home in November and December.  It is common knowledge about how badly the winds swirl in that stadium.  Plays hell with the passing game and special teams play

OK, I am missing something in this conversation.  Cleveland sits right on the south shore of Lake Erie.  The field in FirstEnergy Stadium is about 1,000 feet from the water.

And you are correct, the wind, both velocity and swirling, can greatly handicap passes and kicks.

Remember, the new stadium sits on the same site as Municipal Stadium did, or as it was lovingly known "the mistake by the lake."

37 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Ok, thanks I didn't iirc. So we have the offense and Coach to make Baker Mayfield into Drew Brees?

So now Baker Mayfield is Drew Brees? 

Sorry, I've got to see it first before I can believe that. 

As of now. No way.

So the be clear you stated “well they only had Brees for 2 years and had a much longer look at Baker.” Instantly debunked and the stats are pretty damn close in their first 4 years starting, 1 of which Baker was playing injured after week 2. Baker also went to a worse franchise with 3 different coaches over his 4 years.
No one is saying he will be the next Brees, because we don’t have the stability and staff the Saints provided him with. We are just saying let’s not write him off yet. If he fails it will be so easy to let him go in FA and either draft one or roll with Corral. Let’s just see how the season unfolds before we freak out about Baker fan boys or cry about Corral being treated unfairly. 

• Pie 5