• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reasons for cautious optimism?

micnificent28

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I forgot to add this in my first post- Panthers...are the fastest team in the NFL. I know it doesnt relate to wins, but I'd rather be the fastest team than the slowest.

53 vs 53 or top 10 vs top 10, 4 x 4, I can say the panthers would be favored. 

Where did you get that data?

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Where did you get that data?

No link, just over the last three years targeted high RAS/40 timed players.

Djak is top three fastest league wide

this year Brano ran 4.37 as a DE.

Burns is around 4.5 

Christ is fast for a OL, same for Ickey. sub 5.0(i bet Motown is sub 5.0)

CMC, DJ, THomas, Anderson, all burners in the 4.5 range. 

BSmith is another big guy that still pulls a 4.5

Chinn is 4.4

Cj Henderson is 4.4

Even Dbrown is 5.1 elite for a 335 LB DT

YGM is around 4.5 at a DE/DT

Whole team is fast, Baker isnt slow either. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

@kungfoodude heres a year old link(they gotten faster since)

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/28/espn-panthers-nfl-fastest-team/

TMJ is another 4.4 guy.

Panthers got to have the most 4.4 guys and one of the fastest OL&DL(if you included Burns/haynes/etc)

The difference between 4.4 and 4.6 is like the difference between owning a boat and yacht.

I checked on Mo town, hes a 5.18(years ago hes slower now) at that time top 80thish percentile.

Shi Smith is a 4.4 guy

I got confidence saying the panthers are the fastest, chiefs would be #2...but they traded the fastest guy.......whom I still still Djak would beat in the 40... 

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

No link, just over the last three years targeted high RAS/40 timed players.

Djak is top three fastest league wide

this year Brano ran 4.37 as a DE.

Burns is around 4.5 

Christ is fast for a OL, same for Ickey. sub 5.0(i bet Motown is sub 5.0)

CMC, DJ, THomas, Anderson, all burners in the 4.5 range. 

BSmith is another big guy that still pulls a 4.5

Chinn is 4.4

Cj Henderson is 4.4

Even Dbrown is 5.1 elite for a 335 LB DT

YGM is around 4.5 at a DE/DT

Whole team is fast, Baker isnt slow either. 

Yeah but that literally is an unsubstantiated claim. It's not actually based on anything.

The only way you could even do that is to look up 40 times for every roster and even that is going to be difficult to come by because not all of those guys ran the 40 at the combine and not all players went to the combine.

You are making a claim that is almost impossible to verify and basing it on a gut feeling.

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

@kungfoodude heres a year old link(they gotten faster since)

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/28/espn-panthers-nfl-fastest-team/

TMJ is another 4.4 guy.

Panthers got to have the most 4.4 guys and one of the fastest OL&DL(if you included Burns/haynes/etc)

The difference between 4.4 and 4.6 is like the difference between owning a boat and yacht.

I checked on Mo town, hes a 5.18(years ago hes slower now) at that time top 80thish percentile.

Shi Smith is a 4.4 guy

I got confidence saying the panthers are the fastest, chiefs would be #2...but they traded the fastest guy.......whom I still still Djak would beat in the 40... 

Yeah, I just read through that and the methodology leaves a LOT to be desired. It's a cool concept for an article but I don't think it's telling you what you think it is saying.

Method: We found players' average yards covered per second by computing their five top speeds -- run and pass plays only -- recorded during the 2020 and 2021 seasons (through Week 6), using player-tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats. Team, unit and position group speed were calculated with the top three WRs, two TEs, two RBs, two QBs, four DBs and 2 LBs from each team according to weighted average of top speed and snap count. Offense speed was weighted with 45% WR, 25% TE, 20% RB and 10% QB, while defense speed was weighted with 70% DB and 30% LB. Team speed is 50% offense and 50% defense. And lastly, players who changed teams count toward their current roster, and they must have made an appearance this season to factor in.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that literally is an unsubstantiated claim. It's not actually based on anything.

The only way you could even do that is to look up 40 times for every roster and even that is going to be difficult to come by because not all of those guys ran the 40 at the combine and not all players went to the combine.

You are making a claim that is almost impossible to verify and basing it on a gut feeling.

I got you a link above and if you paid for insider you could see the whole NFL. I can find a link form the Cardinals coach saying something along the lines of "THis is the fastest defensive in the league".  

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I got you a link above and if you paid for insider you could see the whole NFL. I can find a link form the Cardinals coach saying something along the lines of "THis is the fastest defensive in the league".  

I looked. Cool article but it's not telling you what you think it is telling you. 

I would never claim us to be the fastest roster in the NFL because that's a wildly difficult thing to even verify. Especially with 53 people on each roster.

Do I think we target fast and athletic players? Certainly so. More so than previous coaches seemed to.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I looked. Cool article but it's not telling you what you think it is telling you. 

I would never claim us to be the fastest roster in the NFL because that's a wildly difficult thing to even verify. Especially with 53 people on each roster.

Do I think we target fast and athletic players? Certainly so. More so than previous coaches seemed to.

Could you find a team with more 4.4 players than the panthers? I named about 10.. A 4.3 DE and 4.5 as another? Nearly the whole DB and WR groups are 4.4 guys, which is insane. Panthers OL and DL got legit top 80/90th times as well. 

Phins and Chiefs are speed teams too, I just believe/know panthers are faster. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/32437785/ranking-fastest-slowest-nfl-teams-how-all-32-rosters-speed-stacks-why-crucial-today-game

Edited by Basbear

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Could you find a team with more 4.4 players than the panthers? I named about 10.. A 4.3 DE and 4.5 as another? Nearly the whole DB and WR groups are 4.4 guys, which is insane. Panthers OL and DL got legit top 80/90th times as well. 

Phins and Chiefs are speed teams too, I just believe/know panthers are faster. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/32437785/ranking-fastest-slowest-nfl-teams-how-all-32-rosters-speed-stacks-why-crucial-today-game

Well you for certain do not "know" this because you haven't given the data required to make that claim. I definitely believe you think that but I am not gonna jump into that hole without having any data.

That isn't a gut feeling statement. If you had said we "PROBABLY have one of the faster rosters" in the NFL, I could buy that.

I am definitely not buying from anything you provided that we are the fastest NFL roster. 

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Well you for certain do not "know" this because you haven't given the data required to make that claim. I definitely believe you think that but I am not gonna jump into that hole without having any data.

That isn't a gut feeling statement. If you had said we "PROBABLY have one of the faster rosters" in the NFL, I could buy that.

I am definitely not buying from anything you provided that we are the fastest NFL roster. 

That insider deal could provide light, maybe someone checking this thread with a subscription could help. Another truth is panther gotten fasten since 2021 and still 5th youngest. 

Panthers for sure have one of the fastest teams, I am very comfy saying they are the fastest. Even the slow guys are fast compared to other teams slow players. 

• Pie 1