• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College GameDay coming to Boone

ladypanther

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is awesome for Boone but you couldn't drag me to Boone tomorrow with an 18 wheeler and a logging chain. I'll be waist deep in either the South Toe or Wilson Creek, haven't decided on which.

I went to Wilson Creek three weeks back and it was still too warm, had to stop fishing by 7:30am. If you go, let me know how it is. Hopefully the water temp has come down in the last few weeks.

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

I went to Wilson Creek three weeks back and it was still too warm, had to stop fishing by 7:30am. If you go, let me know how it is. Hopefully the water temp has come down in the last few weeks.

They'll be good. It's been getting down in the 50s at night the last 7-10 days. I keep an eye on the Oconaluftee temps. It's the only USGS temp gauge in a naturally flowing stream on WNC that I know of. 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03512000

Wilson generally runs a a few degrees cooler than the Oconaluftee in the DH section. The gorge gets WARM though. More along the lines of the Oconaluftee. 

The South Toe generally stays fishable upstream of Carolina Hemlocks unless there's significant drought (which there was in August). There was virtually no non-tailwaters trout waters in the greater NC area that were fishable for most of August. If the upper reaches of the South Toe are too warm then pretty much everything else is gonna be too.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is awesome for Boone but you couldn't drag me to Boone tomorrow with an 18 wheeler and a logging chain. I'll be waist deep in either the South Toe or Wilson Creek, haven't decided on which.

from where I live i can throw a rock & almost hit Wilson Creek... 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Having a winning head to head record against your in-state rivals makes you the best football program on the state.

Sadly, only UNC fans agree with you. Enjoy watching game day this morning. They’ll be in Boone in case you didn’t know. 

Edited by USDepartmentOfSavagery

14 hours ago, Martin said:

I'm on the South Toe. Just took a break to eat a snack. Yeah, it's good to go.

PXL_20220917_131213519.thumb.jpg.0698758e7fee743928218c52ba320466.jpg

Catching mainly 10-12" stockers. A couple small wilds. Nothing over about 12" so far but it's been a good morning. Fast, shallow riffles have been producing the most fish.

I stood right here and caught four fish, including the above brown which has probably been the best fish of the morning so far.

PXL_20220917_131751316_MP.thumb.jpg.99ef3122188d3545542b17fb5cfc2483.jpg

• Pie 3