• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What about Fritterer?

Waldo

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Fitterer be able to stay in a traditional GM role to see what he is made of.

But Tepper has the scoop on who was responsible for what moves over the Rhule/Fitterer term. If we see him get canned after the season, I suspect we are gonna know he had his hands in a lot more of our bad deals than a lot of observers thought. 

Person confirmed today the quarterback decisions were directed by Rhule.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

13 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I really hope so, start fresh and who better than a Panthers legend.

If Scott stays, we may end up with a Fitterer / Quinn duo for the next few years and watch Dan go elsewhere.

If Dan stays, we could end up with a Morgan / Dorsey combo.

Fitterer doesn't guarantee Quinn.

You could very easily see Fitterer stay as GM and Dorsey get the head coaching job.

As it turns out, Fitterer also has ties to Payton but I don't see that happening for other reasons.

32 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Those are points in Fitterer's favor but those weren't the only bad deals.

The thing I've said before, and it's true, is if Tepper fires him after putting him in a situation where he didn't have final say, he'll be essentially blaming him for the actions of his boss. Other good GM candidates will notice that.

I also don't think people should be counting on Dan Morgan given that he and Fitterer are close friends while neither Morgan nor Tepper has any ties to the other.

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The thing I've said before, and it's true, is if Tepper fires him after putting him in a situation where he didn't have final say, he'll be essentially blaming him for the actions of his boss. Other good GM candidates will notice that.

That situation was the one he was prepared for by being in a similar organization up in Seattle where the HC rules all, that was why Rhule wanted him. He fit that mold and would operate in that kind of system. Saying it's not fair he doesn't get a shot at a job type he wasn't hired for or have much experience with is a bit misleading. He was never a final say GM so just giving it to him is a complete shot in the dark when we could hire GM prospect trained in that kind of environment. 

He had his fair shot when he decided to sign on to a mess. It stinks but he did say yes to being a GM on a leash and to Rhule of all coaches. No one can downplay his decision there. 

I'm OK with seeing how he handles the rest of this year and him earning his job next year but no one owes him a damn thing he doesn't earn going forward. The season is still long from finished and all these guys have to play nice with each other while facing an uphill battle for wins. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I think he gets this season and next season to show what he can do with a new coach that he gets to pick before the heat gets turned up to high. Right now I would say it's on low until this time next season, unless he just really pisses Tepper off before then.

I think he has to basically help pick the right HC, not spend any future capital for two seasons, have good drafts with a smaller amount of picks and help make sure the right players get on the field. 

32 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That situation was the one he was prepared for by being in a similar organization up in Seattle where the HC rules all, that was why Rhule wanted him. He fit that mold and would operate in that kind of system. Saying it's not fair he doesn't get a shot at a job type he wasn't hired for or have much experience with is a bit misleading. He was never a final say GM so just giving it to him is a complete shot in the dark when we could hire GM prospect trained in that kind of environment. 

He had his fair shot when he decided to sign on to a mess. It stinks but he did say yes to being a GM on a leash and to Rhule of all coaches. No one can downplay his decision there.

Disagree, but even using that logic, none of what you're saying changes the impression you leave out there for other candidates.

Tepper was willing to be patient with a mid-tier college coach who was obviously in way over his head. He looks pretty stupid for giving Rhule that contract and that level of control already.

If he then turns around and gives a guy with over 20 years of actual solid NFL experience less time than he gave that college coach to do a job where he didn't even have final say, he looks like an absolute moron.

We already know from other reports that Tepper is a guy people don't want to work for. The last thing we need is for him to make that perception even worse.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Disagree, but even using that logic, none of what you're saying changes the impression you leave out there for other candidates.

Tepper was willing to be patient with a mid-tier college coach who was obviously in way over his head. He looks pretty stupid for giving Rhule that contract and that level of control already.

If he then turns around and gives a guy with over 20 years of actual solid NFL experience less time than he gave that college coach to do a job where he didn't even have final say, he looks like an absolute moron.

We already know from other reports that Tepper is a guy people don't want to work for. The last thing we need is for him to make that perception even worse.

Fritterer was a Rhule guy so he is a GM worthy of being under a midtier college coach? McAdoo has plenty of experience yet he is still terrible. I call BS. Show me where Fritterer has positive experience working in an organization with a traditional GM / HC rolls? Pre 2009 maybe? Simply put we can do better and it was a weak hire when they pulled the trigger. 

What matters more to other hires than Fritteres being given an unearned promotion after 2 years of failure is how Tepper handles the firing which I seriously doubt he is ready to do the corect way. That scares me way more than people being pissed off about a guy who teaded for Sam Darnold being replaced for someone better. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Person confirmed today the quarterback decisions were directed by Rhule.

That might be a bit too literal.

He said Rhule directed the "annual QB chase", which could mean he told his people he wanted en experienced QB and not to go the rookie route.  Maybe he directed his people to find options and his people (Fitt and Morgan) came up with Darnold and maybe some others.  Maybe of those options Rhule decided on his own which one.

Or maybe he did micromanage the heck out of it and he came up with Darnold all on his own and Fitt actually thought it was a good idea and didn't oppose it. 

Really as fans it's hard for us to know for sure.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Those are points in Fitterer's favor but those weren't the only bad deals.

Personally I really want to like Fitterer.  Just as fan's its really hard for us to critique him because we don't know how much he was responsible for the good and bad hires.  

Fact is we almost have to trust Tepper to make the right decision on him.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Fritterer was a Rhule guy so he is a GM worthy of being under a midtier college coach? McAdoo has plenty of experience yet he is still terrible. I call BS. Show me where Fritterer has positive experience working in an organization with a traditional GM / HC rolls? Pre 2009 maybe? Simply put we can do better and it was a weak hire when they pulled the trigger. 

What matters more to other hires than Fritteres being given an unearned promotion after 2 years of failure is how Tepper handles the firing which I seriously doubt he is ready to do the corect way. That scares me way more than people being pissed off about a guy who teaded for Sam Darnold being replaced for someone better. 

Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule never met until the day of his interview. Calling him a "Rhule guy" is kind of disingenuous.

Also, Joe Person confirmed that Rhule was in charge of the quarterback decisions so you can't lay that on Fitterer either.

As far as roster improvement, I don't have to give you my argument. David Tepper said yesterday that the roster has gotten significantly better over the last few years and he considers it a strength of the team.

I don't really see Fitterer being fired as it is, but it would be a really dumbsh-t move if he was.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Scott Fitterer and Matt Rhule never met until the day of his interview. Calling him a "Rhule guy" is kind of disingenuous.

Also, Joe Person confirmed that Rhule was in charge of the quarterback decisions so you can't lay that on Fitterer either.

As far as roster improvement, I don't have to give you my argument. David Tepper said yesterday that the roster has gotten significantly better over the last few years and he considers it a strength of the team.

I don't really see Fitterer being fired as it is, but it would be a really dumbsh-t move if he was.

He was hired to be Rhule's GM and Rhule wanted him so he is a Rhule guy because he signed on to all of that. He said yes to that job and then did the dirty deeds Rhule wanted. There is nothing disingenuous about that, thems facts. 

He still did the deed and did not resign so he was fine with being part of the move and the video of them talking about it did not show him having any issues with the Darnold trade lol.

I never said it was all bad but it has not been good, jesus Hurney had positives but I wanted him gone for years. I haven't seen enough good from Friterer but I did say he could go and earn it the rest of the year but I am not giving him a damn thing going forward. There are much better options out there and I hope to god Tepper hires an outside consultant this time. If Fritterer can navigate the rest of the season and put us in a good spot for the new crew then fine keep earning that job. 

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

He was hired to be Rhule's GM and Rhule wanted him so he is a Rhule guy because he signed on to all of that. He said yes to that job and then did the dirty deeds Rhule wanted. There is nothing disingenuous about that, thems facts. 

He still did the deed and did not resign so he was fine with being part of the move and the video of them talking about it did not show him having any issues with the Darnold trade lol.

I never said it was all bad but it has not been good, jesus Hurney had positives but I wanted him gone for years. I haven't seen enough good from Friterer but I did say he could go and earn it the rest of the year but I am not giving him a damn thing going forward. There are much better options out there and I hope to god Tepper hires an outside consultant this time. If Fritterer can navigate the rest of the season and put us in a good spot for the new crew then fine keep earning that job. 

Hiring an outside consultant isn't going to change the perception around the league that Tepper is a sh-tty boss.

Honestly, neither are press conferences like he gave yesterday but hey...