• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FMIA: Tanking shouldn’t be a dirty word

NAS

3 minutes ago, stbugs said:

😂 Oh, CMC had Cam last year? The guy no team wants this year? CMC was 4-3 last year and the team was 1-9 without, but that doesn’t count.

So, you are going to tell me that Foreman is better than CMC? Hubbard is better than CMC? Oh sure, it’s not the fact that PJ threw the ball well and for the first time all year we didn’t have shitty QB play?

You must be a troll. Sad existence. I’ll throw you on ignore because damn the poo you say is moronic.

the trolls are infiltrating this board

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, stbugs said:

How about when we draft Cam? What if we had pick 6? How would we have done with Gabbert? If we traded up for Cam, we wouldn’t have had Luke or Star. Because we had the top pick we got Cam, Luke and Star. Same with Peppers. If we wanted him no matter what but had to trade up, we would have lost Gross and more.

Our team isn’t going to lay down but cherry picking when the Browns, Jets and Bears picked bad QBs isn’t smart. When there are a lot of potential first round QBs, there are always 1-2 top guys and it’s more about the coaches/GMs who find the right one than it is about position. Baker going first was kind of a surprise. He wasn’t a universal choice for top QB. I’d much rather have as good a pick as possible or make the playoffs. It’s that simple. Having a top pick means we don’t lose guys like Luke if we find the guy we want and don’t have to trade up. Not sure why that’s a tough concept.

Luke was taken with the 1st rounder the following year.  You don't have to give up a future first to trade up in the draft.   Cam and Luke are not mutually exclusive.  It really depends on where we ended up in the draft how much we would have to give up to get to Cam.  Maybe we would have had to give up McClain, Fua, Alexander or Adams.

In the past 20 years, only the Mannings were SB champs with the team that tanked for them.

Edited by poundaway

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Tabor won games as an interim in Chicago and his unit was producing.

I guess people define tanking differently.  

Heres pnp on tanking

Yeah I’m not concerned about 1 vs 10 or wherever we are picking, but I want to shed this bloated vet contracts and acquire as much draft capital as possibly while keeping the young take to on rookie contracts. We can move up or down to take a QB in the first. Reset the cap for 2024 and build around our new rookie QB. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

BS, when it started it was about getting a QB to win the big one.  That Franchise QB that everyone thinks is in this draft.   Please stop.

Just let it go, I have, I'm done arguing with you guys because you want to be right, but you're not. 

We have 1 week, if we trade away talent before then, then maybe but otherwise this team is going to fight for a playoff spot until we are eliminated from that said spot. 

I completely agree with this. No way the players, coaching staff or owner tank on purpose. The win means too much to Tepper. If people didn’t get that from the locker room footage then I don’t know what to tell them. Now we will probably end up with a losing record but that’s because we are a subpar team. Not because we are tanking on purpose. I watched every game when we went 1-15 and we didn’t tank then either. We desperately need a QB though, we do not have one on the current roster. I seem to remember Allen and Hienikie had a few good games with us too. They aren’t and never will be the same caliber as Cam was.

13 hours ago, stbugs said:

They traded him because they got two firsts. If they weren’t going to extend him then they were planning to trade him. It’s textbook Belichick trading guys like Seymour and Chandler Jones before big paydays. Guys like Adams and CMC have no leverage at all.

We traded CMC because we got all those picks as well. Whether he requested a trade or not was immaterial and there were a lot more rumors of people contacting us about players we’d be willing to trade than CMC being disgruntled. CMC requesting a trade is a nice cover.

And again, you seem to confuse “rebuilding” with thinking that we were going to intentionally throw a game. You are also way overestimating that win. The 1-4 Steelers lost their QB and then came back to beat the Bucs the week prior. We beat a team playing really poorly.  

You’re talking in circles man, you throw out these scenarios to prove your idea of what tanking really is. Tanking is clearly defined as

1:to make no effort to win : lose intentionallytanked the match
2: to place, store, or treat in a tank

intransitive verb

1: to lose intentionally : give up in competition
2: to suffer rapid decline, failure, or collapse

so yeah, the Panthers aren’t tanking. 

Not worth even thinking about until towards the end of the season when the order starts to become clear.  There's a huge difference between wanting to lose a couple games for a better pick once knocked out of playoff contention and expecting the team to throw the year away.