• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you guys feel about keeping Darnold as a long term backup

hepcat

Honestly, I'd like to see both Mayfield and Darnold without Rhule, yanno? Of course, that's if PJ doesn't keep just winning out there. If PJ keeps winning, then we keep PJ... this ain't rocket science.

Neither Mayfield or Darnold really got a fair shake under the past leadership because, well, Rhule just wasn't good at all and he created more problems for the team than he solved. Both, or either, could still be terrible... this isn't a complete pass on their transgressions, but both performed worse here than in their last stops. In Mayfield's case, he performed so badly that it's close to inexplicable.

In the end, I think we keep whichever of the three vets handles their duties the best from here on out, at a very team friendly deal, and we move on with Corral. While Corral hasn't had much on the field experience, he will have had a full year of pro-level film study and mental reps, plus getting to know his teammates. That could accelerate his learning curve next season.

If, somehow, he could be the guy then I'd love to see us be able to pick up another incredibly disruptive DE or DT at the top of the draft instead.

That frikkin' Lisfranc injury really robbed us of some important information, didn't it?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Honestly, I'd like to see both Mayfield and Darnold without Rhule, yanno? Of course, that's if PJ doesn't keep just winning out there. If PJ keeps winning, then we keep PJ... this ain't rocket science.

Neither Mayfield or Darnold really got a fair shake under the past leadership because, well, Rhule just wasn't good at all and he created more problems for the team than he solved. Both, or either, could still be terrible... this isn't a complete pass on their transgressions, but both performed worse here than in their last stops. In Mayfield's case, he performed so badly that it's close to inexplicable.

In the end, I think we keep whichever of the three vets handles their duties the best from here on out, at a very team friendly deal, and we move on with Corral. While Corral hasn't had much on the field experience, he will have had a full year of pro-level film study and mental reps, plus getting to know his teammates. That could accelerate his learning curve next season.

If, somehow, he could be the guy then I'd love to see us be able to pick up another incredibly disruptive DE or DT at the top of the draft instead.

That frikkin' Lisfranc injury really robbed us of some important information, didn't it?

The Lisfranc and the idiot HC who thought there are freshman in the NFL.

I think Darnold is what he is.  He's been unimpressive under more than one staff.  At least Mayfield had some success in his career.  But, yeah, there is some element of coaching hindrance that has to be figured in on pretty much the entire roster.

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Yeah, I didn't think that injury would matter because Corral was so squarely in Rhule’s doghouse we'd probably never see him. Had I known Rhule would get canned this quickly and Mayfield would be channeling Mark Sanchez, I would have been a lot more upset about Corral being on IR.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I didn't think that injury would matter because Corral was so squarely in Rhule’s doghouse we'd probably never see him. Had I known Rhule would get canned this quickly and Mayfield would be channeling Mark Sanchez, I would have been a lot more upset about Corral being on IR.

No one could have seen Mayfield would have played that badly. Even his naysayers were like, dayummmmm.

• Beer 1

Hell no. 

if we want a backup QB that is on the roster then sign PJ for peanuts.  The backup that has actually proven he can do his job when called up for the random week. 

if been saying it since last year, PJ is better than Sam.   That’s continues not be PJ praise. 

17 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

I’d like it for the right price. He’s got good physical tools and the right mentality to embrace a back up role and not carry on like a pork chop 

He’s going to have to embrace a back-up role either in Carolina or somewhere else, he won’t be starting again.