• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers fans need therapy to endure this abusive relationship.

hepcat

I've seen many fans re-considering their fandom of this franchise after today's game. And honestly, I don't blame a single one. 

I've been a Panthers fan since the beginning and I remember it all. All the highs and lows. The inaugural game, the 1996 NFC Championship appearance, the one win 2001 team lead by Chris Stinky, the 2003 Superbowl run, the Jimmy Clausen 2010 garbage season, Cam's MVP season and the 2015 Superbowl year, and now the abysmal Matt Rhule era. It's been quite a roller coaster ride, one that has the wildest swings of any NFL franchise. 

There is one unfortunate conclusion that I have come to over the years - the Panthers have me trapped in an abusive relationship. They do enough to keep my interest, teasing a fun season every now and again, an occasional victory, but ultimately, the pain greatly outweighs the joy. Nothing has become more true than after watching today's game, an oddly familiar loss that Panthers fans have witnessed countless times before. 

Even after DJ Moore caught the game-tying TD pass, I think many of us knew deep down that the Panthers would lose the game. Because that is what they do. They comfort you by making a big play, make you think "maybe they've changed, maybe this is the time they finally treat me better, maybe this time they finally win", but a Panther doesn't change their spots. Ultimately exactly what I expected to happen, happened. 

The only thing this franchise knows how to do well is deliver abuse. Many fans have bonded over all the trauma the team has put us through. Some fans have Stockholm Syndrome, even loving and defending their captor. 

So I get it. I get why so many fans aren't showing up for the home games anymore. I get why the Huddle is about as negative as it has been in its entire history. Today is about as bleak as it gets. Even when the team seemingly plays well enough to win a close game, they lose. There's seemingly nothing this franchise can do to set things right and the future looks extremely bleak. 

Enough is enough. Why do we subject ourselves to this abuse? There's really no rational reason to keep rooting for this team. The team is obviously cursed or something, why do we keep doing it?