• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Opinion: top 2 QB's are gone..

Jmac

20 hours ago, top dawg said:

If we think that a QB is all that and a bag of chips, trade up. I haven't seen that guy in the upcoming draft yet, so I think they would need to stay where they're at and draft the BPA (and if that happens to be a QB, then great). If not, then so be it.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in taking swings, but only if the swing is worth taking. You can't just be whiffing in the first round year after year taking wild swings out of desperation; the guy has to show that franchise-level play. Otherwise we can get a vet, possibly draft a QB on day two, and look to develop Corral as well. Impatience is arguably a big part of the reason why we are here.

Fields fell, and we skipped over him, but he did fall, and with proper support and development he could turn out as the best of that draft.

Yeah I view our present problem as having a desperate need, likely being in solid position to get, but options QB wise looking pretty meh.

Folks, before you get too over excited about this QB crop, please take a look at this table and try to remember how hyped the vast majority of gentlemen in the first round on it were coming out of college. Most of whom did not have enviable NFL careers.

DraftHistory.com

3 hours ago, NAS said:

When did we ever do this ?

We haven't, but I didn't say that we had. I simply answered a question. It's not totally inconceivable that we wouldn't begin a treadmill of reaching for a QB, being that we have relatively new leadership. I don't think we'll do it, but that's only based on a feeling at this point. But, again, I was only answering a question based on a possible hypothetical occurrence.

46 minutes ago, BrisbanePanther said:

So confused on this. Why is only "reaching" when it's for a QB--particularly on today's wage scales? Why the hand-wringing in favor of yet another (usually) defensive player that will be either neutralized by better competition or exhausted because his offense can't stay on the field. Carolina has no bust QBs...because they don't draft them in the first round aside from Collins and Cam. 2 1st round QBs in almost 30 years? I could see if that was because of long-term success, but it's not. It's been because "bigger needs" we're always addressed first, with the QB left as an afterthought.

the anti-QB people are just screaming at the abyss at this point and no one is listening

theres always going to be the same demographic of posters who think the only QBs worth taking are elway (did you know elway autocorrects to sleazy like lol) caliber prospects because they’ve slopped down generic coachspeak on how the draft is run and taken it as the ancient wisdom that they alone are beholden to while the rest of us plebs fumble about with our madden controllers 

“haha cost relative to talent relative to positional value relative to rarity? put the madden controller down and lemme school you, have you heard of the BPA?”

it’s why there’s so much blathering about will anderson here

Most of these people have not watched will anderson play, they could not tell you how he’d fit in our defense, or indeed if he even could, but they know his stat line from a season ago and they know he’s the top ranked name on walterfootball and they know he isn’t a QB and dumb little brains like you and me don’t know the secret majesty of the bpa

Edited by Growl

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Spoken like someone who literally has no idea what they are talking about.

During the 1999-2017 span Cleveland drafted a total of two QB's in the first round, Tim Couch(#1 overall in 1999) and Johnny Manziel(#22 overall in 2014). But that era was marked by repeated turnover at QB. Lower round draft picks, journeymen, roster discards, etc. 

If you actually expand that era(which would be somewhat fair) to include up to the present, that would net another likely bust QB in Baker Mayfield taken #1 overall in 2022.

Regardless, it has been a roughly 18-22 year span of over 20 starting QB's. That's bad.

It's also better through the first 5 years than our span has been from 2018-2022. We have started more QB's and had less team success.

You’re quoting the Cleveland experience of drafting multiple QBs in the first round who turned out to be busts. There were other QBs who they could have selected which means the decision to draft a QB in the first round wasn’t the problem, rather that they chose the wrong ones. 

Should we not give the benefit of the doubt to our scouting department and the GM? Their first round draft record, including QBs is pretty good.

Edited by NAS

33 minutes ago, NAS said:

You’re quoting the Cleveland experience of drafting multiple QBs in the first round who turned out to be busts. There were other QBs who they could have selected which means the decision to draft a QB in the first round wasn’t the problem, rather that they chose the wrong ones. 

Should we not give the benefit of the doubt to our scouting department and the GM? Their first round draft record, including QBs is pretty good.

Well during that span our scouting/GM has produced some very bad drafts and some middling lower round QB's(suspect Corral will be included in that).

It hasn't been a complete loss, which it wasn't for the Browns either, they also netted plenty of talent over that span. But you do expect that when you are drafting highly as often as that.

But, yes, that was my point about drafting the wrong QB's. You can fug up a lot of good picks chasing. You can make poor decisions in free agency chasing. You can rely on lower round picks incorrectly.

We have checked a lot of those boxes in our post 2017 pursuit of a franchise QB. That's concerning. The turnover at coach and in the front office is also a concern.

We have a lot of the elements of floundering like the Browns did for a very long time and arguably still are. 

Hence why I worry so heavily about Tepper. If he proves to be Haslam or worse.....we might be in for some very frustrating years ahead.