• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ellis Williams. Char observer on top 4 QBs Note, This is not in depth

Varking

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

My only thing with him is how long is it going to take him to develop?  This franchise cannot stomach watching a developmental qb take maybe 3 years to hopefully pay off.   

If progress is being made why not? I mean, we've stomached utter trash for years. It's be a lot more promising to watch a young talented QB grow than watch cast off vets just suck out loud.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If progress is being made why not? I mean, we've stomached utter trash for years. It's be a lot more promising to watch a young talented QB grow than watch cast off vets just suck out loud.

Exactly, Bears fans seem a whole lot more optimistic than us right now because they get to watch Fields get better every week while we are just counting down the days till the draft. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

... Our new coach and his philosophy will have everything to do with qb success and surrounding talent for him. Hell, I doubt DJ could be a # 3 on the cowboys. We need an accurate passer with mobility and brains ....whoever that shakes out to be.

Say what? CeeDee Lamb is damn near the Cowboys' entire receiving offense. 

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think I've seen anyone attempt to make that argument.

Maybe not in those terms, but the argument that you look at a guys physical characteristics first because "you can teach the other stuff" is being made on a daily basis.

Reality: That approach fails more often than it succeeds.

Now the most common response I get to that is people saying "oh well you just want some unathletic pocket passer". Wrong. I want a guy who is a capable passer. Whether or not he's athletic is the part I don't give a sh-t about.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Whoever we draft we need to have that type of plan. I don't want to repeat the "we have Cam Newton and he can carry the offense so let's just focus on D" mistake again.

My favorite part was when we decided not to give him an OLine cause he’s 6’5 250 so he can handle it.

• Pie 3

26 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

They never had to worry about that pesky “awareness” rating in Madden. 

Real life is a little different. 

Pretty much.

Here's the problem: The average fan sees three or four "highlight reel" plays and they're ready to fit a guy for his gold jacket.

Scouts don't have that kind of luxury. They have to watch every single play of every game to get an idea of whether a guy can consistently play well rather than just flashing once in a while.

Hell, the worst quarterbacks / biggest draft busts in NFL history all have amazing college highlight reels that convinced people they were going to be phenomenal in the pros.

The additional problem with a portion of the Panthers fanbase is, even after all this time, they're still pining for Newton. So whenever they see an athletic quarterback they either think "Oh it's Cam, he's come back to us" or "Okay he's not Cam, but maybe we can coach him into being Cam".

In reality, the best thing you can do is stop looking for "the next Cam" (or the next anyone else, for that matter) and just start scouting quarterbacks on their own merits.

And to be clear, those merits start with their quarterback skills, not their athleticism.

• Pie 4