• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks refutes the media's perception that the Panthers "tried to tank this year"

Saca312

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I've posted the link above already.  And I linked that tweet you posted a while ago explaining it was missing the context of the earlier questions.

Yeah.  I call BS.  He doesn't say anything about outside perception or outside chatter leading up to the comment, or in the follow up question.

Looks to me like Kunkel got this one right.

• Poo 2

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Yeah.  I call BS.  He doesn't say anything about outside perception or outside chatter leading up to the comment, or in the follow up question.

Looks to me like Kunkel got this one right.

Uh he definitely does. He starts the q&a talking about things outside their play that is distracting and when a reporter asks what he meant by tanking directly he says he meant things being said outside the organization 

His whole thing is this is big for the players because they ignored the noise and performed as he felt they could

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Ok, now I call BS.  He very clearly was NOT refering to outside perceptions.  He listed HC changes, players losses and that the org was trying to tank it.

He clearly asks it as a rhetorical question meaning it’s a question that was coming from the outside, “are the organization trying to tank it” is exactly what was said.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, MillionDollarCam said:

He clearly asks it as a rhetorical question meaning it’s a question that was coming from the outside, “are the organization trying to tank it” is exactly what was said.

He clarified later he was talking about things said outside too

• Beer 1

Just now, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

If we lose draft picks because of this, I may just walk out on this team

We won't. He very clearly said afterwards he meant things around the team, not from inside.

There's no way you can look at this team and think it's tanking. What decisions were made to do so?  Trading away our best offensive player? Ok, but he may have lowkey requested a trade (esp given where he ended up), and we had good backs behind him.  Refusing the Burns trade is 100% strong evidence we weren't trying to tank, as was firing Rhule.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Just now, poundaway said:

He did backpedal 5-6 questions later.

Believe what you want, you're going to anyway.

Wilks brought up tanking, not the media as you try to portray it.

He clarified, it isn't backpedaling. His first like minute was all about the distractions players have to deal with and how they have to focus. I don't know what to tell you, we just disagree.

So give me the examples of this team trying to tank?  He didn't have any because he said they weren't, but you apparently know they did, so I'd like to hear your rationale.

6 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

There's no "the" there.

I could give you "Are our organization trying to tank it?"

But to me it sounds like "Our..our organization trying to tank it."

Either way he wasn't asked about tanking.  He listed HC and player changes and then talked about tanking.  He did backpedal 5-6 questions later.