• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Kaye, Observer comment on Wilks support

raleigh-panther

26 minutes ago, Waldo said:

All the people I mentioned are Hurney people expect Fritterer. Hurney was the GM on the CMC deal but we had hired the rest expect Fritterer right? So they were part of the process I assume with Hurney as the head or did Hurney hire the cap guy and then not have him work on CMC's deal? That looks a lot like the Moore and Moton deals? 

Morgan is the only one I didn't mention because he hasn't done any bad that I have seen in his first year here. 

Morgan and Fitterer are longtime friends whose families actually vacation together. I think it was pretty much cemented that if Fitterer got a GM job, Morgan was gonna go with him until he got one of his own.

Drummond came aboard as a PR intern one year after Hurney joined the team. Don't know if that makes him a Hurney guy but you could say he's followed in his footsteps as someone who's been given football related duties despite the fact that he doesn't have any football experience.

Given his background, I've always thought that Samir Suleiman was a David Tepper pick. He was hired while Hurney was still GM but was only a year away from being let go.

Pat Stewart came aboard under Hurney but his connection with the team was actually through Matt Rhule. He and Rhule went way back. That's why I was kind of surprised he wasn't named GM (he was interviewed).

Part of me still wonders if he's going to stick around now that Rhule is gone. By all accounts, he does seem to be good at his job, but so was Matt Allen. Fitterer and Morgan both have connections they might want to bring aboard, so who knows?

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Morgan and Fitterer are longtime friends whose families actually vacation together. I think it was pretty much cemented that if Fitterer got a GM job, Morgan was gonna go with him until he got one of his own.

Drummond came aboard as a PR intern one year after Hurney joined the team. Don't know if that makes him a Hurney guy but you could say he's followed in his footsteps as someone who's been given football related duties despite the fact that he doesn't have any football experience.

Given his background, I've always thought that Samir Suleiman was a David Tepper pick. He was hired while Hurney was still GM but was only a year away from being let go.

Pat Stewart came aboard under Hurney but his connection with the team was actually through Matt Rhule. He and Rhule went way back. That's why I was kind of surprised he wasn't named GM (he was interviewed).

Part of me still wonders if he's going to stick around now that Rhule is gone. By all accounts, he does seem to be good at his job, but so was Matt Allen. Fitterer and Morgan both have connections they might want to bring aboard, so who knows?

Let me clarify, when I said 'Hurney people' I meant they were hired under his management, he oversaw them and oversaw the build of the pre-Fritterer FO. It sounded like they were 'his' people and not his people as GM. The way I wrote it is absolutely incorrect, you are right. 

I get the Morgan angle, I can't say anything bad about Morgan unlike the rest of the list. Fritterer has been a part of a couple of concerning mistakes and that debate has been ongoing for some time

Drummond was in on the hiring process of Rhule being the third wheel for some reason and the hiring process of Fritterer Link. He was the team spokesman when they hired 2.0 in 18 Link. They have worked together for some time up to his 2nd firing. I have no idea what this guy really does but considering some of the crap he was involved with I still stand by us being better off without him. His position is VP of Football Operations and Senior Advisor to Ownership. Dear god he looks like Hurney 3.0 

I agree with SS being a Tepper choice and the sooner that guy is gone the better IMO. His hand in the contracts I mentioned and look consistent when Hurney was here and after. I get the feeling he is the push for the 'there is no cap approach' based off of Lumis' work in NO with Payton. 

Stewart was a Rhule guy and they promoted him after firing 2.0, doing the pro-scouting that Morgan was brought into improve after the 21 FA mess. I don't know why he is still here either. They didn't hire an AGM for Hurney so maybe the plan may have been to let him try and win the crown but after 21 hopefully they saw the need for Morgan? 

If Fritterer and Morgan can't bring in their own people then what's really the point of keeping them? That list is a mess of underwhelming to just outright concerning. Morgan already replaced 
Stewart so why is here here other than collecting a check? None of that is impressive beyond Morgan looking really solid so far.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

Let me clarify, when I said 'Hurney people' I meant they were hired under his management, he oversaw them and oversaw the build of the pre-Fritterer FO. It sounded like they were 'his' people and not his people as GM. The way I wrote it is absolutely incorrect, you are right. 

I get the Morgan angle, I can't say anything bad about Morgan unlike the rest of the list. Fritterer has been a part of a couple of concerning mistakes and that debate has been ongoing for some time

Drummond was in on the hiring process of Rhule being the third wheel for some reason and the hiring process of Fritterer Link. He was the team spokesman when they hired 2.0 in 18 Link. They have worked together for some time up to his 2nd firing. I have no idea what this guy really does but considering some of the crap he was involved with I still stand by us being better off without him. His position is VP of Football Operations and Senior Advisor to Ownership. Dear god he looks like Hurney 3.0 

I agree with SS being a Tepper choice and the sooner that guy is gone the better IMO. His hand in the contracts I mentioned and look consistent when Hurney was here and after. I get the feeling he is the push for the 'there is no cap approach' based off of Lumis' work in NO with Payton. 

Stewart was a Rhule guy and they promoted him after firing 2.0, doing the pro-scouting that Morgan was brought into improve after the 21 FA mess. I don't know why he is still here either. They didn't hire an AGM for Hurney so maybe the plan may have been to let him try and win the crown but after 21 hopefully they saw the need for Morgan? 

If Fritterer and Morgan can't bring in their own people then what's really the point of keeping them? That list is a mess of underwhelming to just outright concerning. Morgan already replaced 
Stewart so why is here here other than collecting a check? None of that is impressive beyond Morgan looking really solid so far.

Word was that Tepper has given Fitterer a free hand to rebuild the scouting and personnel department as he sees fit. I know after Morgan, he hired college scouting director Cole Spencer. Jeff Morrow, A long time Richardson / Hurney guy that used to run college scouting has stepped back to a consultant role (the kind some guys take right before they retire). And of course Richardson's grandson Matt Allen is gone.

Drummond was always a PR spokesman. He's a smart guy, but he's not a football guy. Tepper, just like Richardson before him, put someone with no football background in a position to make football decisions. As a result, we got Matt Rhule.

I don't know that I'd say we're better off without Drummond because he's a capable guy, but neither he nor Tepper really needs to have a heavy hand in football decisions. They need to leave that to the guys who actually know jack sh-t.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I believe Pat Stewart is one of the best assets in the panthers org, be a huge loss if he heads to another team. 

45 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Isnt he third on the chart, so only asst GM&GM jobs are higher?

He could play a role in landing Shane Steichen given his eagles ties....jesus their team is stacked and the record isnt a fluke...

Pretty sure he left the Eagles before Steichen got there, but he might still have some front office contacts (Roseman, for one).

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Word was that Tepper has given Fitterer a free hand to rebuild the scouting and personnel department as he sees fit. I know after Morgan, he hired college scouting director Cole Spencer. Jeff Morrow, A long time Richardson / Hurney guy that used to run college scouting has stepped back to a consultant role (the kind some guys take right before they retire). And of course Richardson's grandson Matt Allen is gone.

Drummond was always a PR spokesman. He's a smart guy, but he's not a football guy. Tepper, just like Richardson before him, put someone with no football background in a position to make football decisions. As a result, we got Matt Rhule.

I don't know that I'd say we're better off without Drummond because he's a capable guy, but neither he nor Tepper really needs to have a heavy hand in football decisions. They need to leave that to the guys who actually know jack sh-t.

I'm guessing the Wilks support is coming from Drummond. Just a huntch but the shoe fits.

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

So says the rumor that compared him to Jack Easterby.

Still don't know if there's any truth to that.

The fact he was the ear of the owner, has been in on so many bad decisions and we still know so little about him...maybe. The more I learn, the less I like about him.

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure he left the Eagles before Steichen got there, but he might still have some front office contacts (Roseman, for one).

Thats it, he still well got connecting sources to them....well league wide as well. I believe in one of the trades, it was pat that made the calls before the terms were agreed. It was the panthers moving up for christ, given this season, it looks like it was a good move for the the good guys...

On 12/20/2022 at 3:32 PM, Snake said:

If this team can't find a better candidate than Wilks I'm seriously considering my fandom of this team and just selling out to fantasy football. I'm just so over poor HCs and mediocrity that comes with it. Wilks would just be another failure for tepper. Albeit a much cheaper one. 

I agree. I can only take so many failures in a row for this team. Hiring Wilks is accepting bottom-half of the league football.