• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Next Gen Stat Passing Scores

CPcavedweller

7 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

What do you mean by Wilks trusted Baker and PJ over Sam?  He literally cut Baker and currently has a healthy PJ sitting on the bench in favor of Darnold lol.  Do you mean he was more aggressive with them in the pass game?  If so, I don't know if you recall PJ's first start of the season against the Rams under Wilks, but it was quite possibly the most egregious lack of trust I've ever seen of any QB in my lifetime.  He had one completion beyond the line of scrimmage, and that was 1 yard out lol.  And if you recall the end of the first half, Wilks opted to go into half-time with all 3 timeouts instead of calling a timeout and letting PJ try to score with over a minute left and 2 timeouts.  They opened things up for PJ more in his second start against the Bucs, but I think we are seeing that same trend with Darnold as well from his first start to his second start (compare his passing charts between the two weeks).  Baker only had one start under Wilks and then subsequently was cut, so again not sure how you figure Wilks trusted him more.

Don't get me wrong, I sure as hell don't want our gameplan to be to let Sam Darnold sit back and try to carve up defenses.  I just think we can't be so one-dimensional like we are now.  We should definitely be a run-first team but still sprinkle in enough of a passing game to prevent the opposing team from just stacking the box on every play.  Especially if the run clearly isn't working, we can't be so stubborn to stick with it and put ourselves in 3rd and longs every drive.  I think CRA said it correctly: Wilks is part of that old-school ultra conservative Ron Rivera type philosophy that gets figured out very quickly.

I mean when Sam got off IR he was still rolling with PJ.  Then when PJ struggled he rolled with Baker,  Sam was his last option.  Darnold was cleared off IR on Oct 19th.  Sure the 23rd would be rushing him back, but Wilks played Walker on the 30th, Walker then Baker on Nov 6th, Walker again on Nov 10th, then threw in Mayfield on the 20th because Walker was banged up, and finally started Darnold on the 27th once he eliminated Baker (from performance) and PJ as possible options.  Darnold was his last option which I assume means he preferred Baker and PJ over him even when playing Baker could have changed our conditional pick we traded for him.  Gameplan was pretty much the same as they all are bad starting QBs at this point.

I think we are saying similar things. 

Fields has potential, but isn't there yet. 

Sam shouldn't be a starter, maybe a backup if the salary is right.

Wilks is nothing special at HC, with maybe Rivera being his peak....

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I mean when Sam got off IR he was still rolling with PJ.  Then when PJ struggled he rolled with Baker,  Sam was his last option.  Darnold was cleared off IR on Oct 19th.  Sure the 23rd would be rushing him back, but Wilks played Walker on the 30th, Walker then Baker on Nov 6th, Walker again on Nov 10th, then threw in Mayfield on the 20th because Walker was banged up, and finally started Darnold on the 27th once he eliminated Baker (from performance) and PJ as possible options.  Darnold was his last option which I assume means he preferred Baker and PJ over him even when playing Baker could have changed our conditional pick we traded for him.  Gameplan was pretty much the same as they all are bad starting QBs at this point.

I think we are saying similar things. 

Fields has potential, but isn't there yet. 

Sam shouldn't be a starter, maybe a backup if the salary is right.

Wilks is nothing special at HC, with maybe Rivera being his peak....

I would argue that what you just laid out more-so highlights Wilks' conservative nature.  He appears to stick with the status quo and is reluctant to change things unless absolutely necessary.  To some degree, that's an important quality of a HC because we don't want a guy who makes rash impulsive decisions.  Consider though: we give Wilks credit for playing Bozeman over Elflein but remember that even Wilks started Elflein in his first game taking over, and that he only turned to Bozeman after Elflein's injury once he was placed on IR.  We also credit him for giving TMJ more snaps but again that was only after Robbie Anderson imploded on the field and forced Wilks' hand into trading him.

But yeah I definitely agree with your succinct summary so we can just leave it at that lol.  Appreciate the cordial exchange.

• Pie 3

On 12/22/2022 at 9:16 AM, ForJimmy said:

Teddy was on par with us as he has been on every other team he has played for.  Decent QB rating, decent yards, hell he got Robbie over 1000 and DJ (which he usually gets).  Most yards he has ever had, 2nd most TDs, highest completion %, 2nd highest yards per attempt, and 3rd highest rating at 92.1.  

So you have post post injury Baker and Sam playing bad with this core. Baker looked decent his first game on that last drive with LAR, but he has already come back down to Earth against GB.  

Keep trying to make excuses why Darnold isn't a good starting QB.  It's just comical at this point.  So you are low on Fields who has waaaaaay less weapons and less of on OL, but high on Darnold.  Seems logical....

I love how it changed from “All Sam needs is a better offensive line” and he will be great to “All Sam needs is hall of fame receivers/TEs” and he will be great. I thought a former #3 overall pick and 18 million dollar contract would mean he’d be someone who would elevate the talent around him, rather than a guy who we have to scheme around with the same game plan we would give PJ Walker.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

20 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

It’s easy to poo on Darnold. Low hanging fruit. 

But regarding “what have you done for me lately,” he’s played his best mistake free football of his career. His numbers aren’t crazy (McAdoo wouldn’t allow that anyway) but I’m most impressed by the way he has handled pressure. Taking a sack when needed. Using his legs to buy time while keeping his eyes down field. Throwing the ball away. 

Happy for the guy. He’s contributing to this teams success right now. 

We just lost at home. Again.

And whatever this weird thing is with bringing up Fields because folks are correctly summarizing Darnold at this point in his career is perplexing. Darnold's ceiling in our offense is Fields floor. That's why people want to draft a QB in the first and shoot our shot. If you don't have an agenda this is not a difficult concept to grasp.

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1