• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Because he's overrated. He had a HOF QB for 14 years and only won one SB that was gifted to them because of a storm. 

Also, No head coach has ever won a SB with two different teams, so statistically it's really unlikely that he'd be great here, especially without a Drew Brees and the ability to run an illegal bounty program.

Just some perspective, but do you think Brees is a HOFer without Payton?  Had he not went to New Orleans, you think he still becomes Drew Brees?  I remember all of the no-names that came through there at various positions that Payton turned into productive NFL players who had no business being so.  Look at Taysom Hill.  He's a glorified The Golden Calf of Bristol, and yet, he has a role and a place on that team and parlayed it into a nice contract after coming in as a nobody.  I remember all of the games we had idiots on this board celebrating the upcoming easy win because they were down entire units to injury, only for them to come out and whoop our ass with their 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th guys on the depth chart.  That is coaching.  That game where they were missing all of their starting receivers and all their backups and had to start practice squad guys - those guys were open the entire day.  Payton schemed all of that.  Yes, Brees executed it, but when a coach keeps getting that level of production regardless of the talent he's putting out there in any given week - it's the scheme.  Look at what Shanahan is doing in SF.  Same deal.  He had Nick Mullens looking like a legit NFL starting QB, and I don't even know if he's in the league now.  He took Jimmy G to a Super Bowl.   He has Brock Purdy looking like the reincarnation of Tom Brady with athleticism.  So, I disagree...  Payton is not overrated at all.  Coaches that can scheme for the players they have to maximize their efficiency and production are invaluable, and he has proven to be that guy time and time again.

Now, I don't post this to vouch for him.  I hate his guts as it currently stands, but I would absolutely love him as our coach because I know what he'll bring.  That being said, Johnson, Steichen, Kafka, Dorsey, or any of these other young OCs could very well be just as good and I would be thrilled if we hired them and find that to be the case.  I don't really have a favorite at this point, I just know the profile I want, and aside from age, Payton fits it.  That doesn't mean I want him to be the hire, it's just saying I'm trying to keep a level head about the process.  Regardless of who it is, I really hope we get it right, FINALLY, this time.

• Pie 9

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Just some perspective, but do you think Brees is HOFer without Payton?  Had he not went to New Orleans, you think he still becomes Drew Brees?  I remember all of the no-names that came through their at various positions that Payton turned into productive NFL players who had no business being so.  Look at Taysom Hill.  He's a glorified The Golden Calf of Bristol, and yet, he has a role and a place in that team and parlayed it into a nice contract after coming in as a nobody.  I remember all of the games we had idiots in this board celebrating the upcoming easy win because they were down entire units to injury, only for them to come out and whoop our ass with their 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th guys on the depth chart.  That is coaching.  That game where they were missing all of their starting receivers and all their backups and had to start practice squad guys - those guys were open the entire day.  Payton schemed all of that.  Yes, Brees executed it, but when a coach keeps getting that level of production regardless of the talent he's putting out there in any given week - it's the scheme.  Look at what Shanahan is doing in SF.  Same deal.  He had Nick Mullens looking like a legit NFL starting QB, and I don't even know if he's in the league now.  He took Jimmy G to a Super Bowl.   He has Brock Purdy looking like the reincarnation of Tom Brady with athleticism.  So, I disagree...  Payton is not overrated at all.  Coaches that can scheme for the players they have to maximize their efficiency and production are invaluable, and hr has proven to be that guy time and time again.

Now, I don't post this to vouch for him.  I hate his guts as it currently stands, but I would absolutely love him as our coach because I know what he'll bring.  That being said, Johnson, Steichen, Kafka, Dorsey, or any of these other young OCs could very well be just as good and I would be thrilled if we hired them and find that to be the case.  I don't really have a favorite at this point, I just know the profile I want, and aside from age, Payton fits it.  That doesn't mean I want him to be the hire, it's just saying I'm trying to keep a level head about the process.  Regardless of who it is, I really hope we get it right, FINALLY, this time.

Good post

21 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Just some perspective, but do you think Brees is HOFer without Payton?  Had he not went to New Orleans, you think he still becomes Drew Brees?  I remember all of the no-names that came through their at various positions that Payton turned into productive NFL players who had no business being so.  Look at Taysom Hill.  He's a glorified The Golden Calf of Bristol, and yet, he has a role and a place in that team and parlayed it into a nice contract after coming in as a nobody.  I remember all of the games we had idiots in this board celebrating the upcoming easy win because they were down entire units to injury, only for them to come out and whoop our ass with their 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th guys on the depth chart.  That is coaching.  That game where they were missing all of their starting receivers and all their backups and had to start practice squad guys - those guys were open the entire day.  Payton schemed all of that.  Yes, Brees executed it, but when a coach keeps getting that level of production regardless of the talent he's putting out there in any given week - it's the scheme.  Look at what Shanahan is doing in SF.  Same deal.  He had Nick Mullens looking like a legit NFL starting QB, and I don't even know if he's in the league now.  He took Jimmy G to a Super Bowl.   He has Brock Purdy looking like the reincarnation of Tom Brady with athleticism.  So, I disagree...  Payton is not overrated at all.  Coaches that can scheme for the players they have to maximize their efficiency and production are invaluable, and hr has proven to be that guy time and time again.

Brees and Payton absolutely complemented each other. Doesn't necessarily mean one made the other, but it was the combo of the two of them more than it was either individual.

That does, however, mean that you'd be counting on Payton to do it again here without someone like Brees.

For an example of how that could turn out, how are things going in New England right now?

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Mother Grabber said:

he paid players to intentionally injure and end the careers of other players. he should be out of the league permanently. if we hire him, it means we approve of that behavior, and i have a big problem with that.

I don't care about something that happened over 10 years ago. 

I want to win football games and if you and other fans with your "holier than thou" attitudes are that bothered by hiring Payton then maybe football just isn't for you. It's a cutthroat league all about wins and losses. 

• Beer 1

This team CANNOT afford another upstart coach from college or otherwise. The learning curve for being a HC is huge and if this franchise is to pull itself out of bottom feeder territory, where Teppers learning curve has put us, the time for experiments is OVER. If we don't pull up the sticks we'll continue to go from once proud middle/sometimes top to historic Browns, Jets level losers.

Tepper wants credit when this phoenix finally rises from the ashes of his willful burn down. He'll get none from me because had he built instead of destroyed we would have stayed competitive while reloading.

He wants credit for making a coach like he wanted to do with Rhule, another upstart hired by Tepper isn't a good idea for him OR this franchises win %.

Harbaugh apparently not being taken seriously by the Panthers organization after going through the trouble of reaching out is another BAD sign. He committed to Michigan because he was probably rebuffed by his first choice. The Panthers.

You know why? Because ever since Tepper stepped in here when New Orleans happened to be dominant he's been obsessed with everything New Orleans including his long time public hard on for Sean Payton.

He's to busy eternally chasing Sean Payton to even acknowledge what a great coach like Harbaugh or even a coach like Reich could provide. 

Edited by rippadonn