• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold had the 13th worst QB win in NFL history if we measured passer rating

ENC Pantherfan

3 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

And how many of those would you realistically be willing to bring in as a starter?

I'd take Minshew. 

As an aside; I can't even fathom that Chad Henne is still in the league. That boggles the mind.

I wouldn't.

This is a case of Grass-being-greener-on-the-other-side.

If we don't re-sign Sam, I'd rather we go after Brisset.

2 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I see what you mean. I don't really see a solution. But if we draft another QB, we will need someone to help mentor both him and Matt. 

Absolutely, we will - and, I don't mind Sam in that role, I just think sometimes it is better to move on.  And I think it would be for him, and we have as good or better options.

• Beer 1

Truth be told. One way or another, there is a huge possibility that we will have both a rookie QB and a 2nd year QB. We HAVE to bring in a Vet. One willing to play a few games and help mentor the kids. 

Next year may not be anything to write home about. But it is going to be entertaining getting there.

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

lol that people actually fell for darnolds decent start once again

The Panthers averaged an absurd 222 rushing yards per game in Sam Darnold's "wins" this year. 

We need a vet on the roster.  Yeah.  Let's go get one that actually has had success in the NFL and knows how to play QB and the NFL game.  That's not Sam. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Brisset is someone I'd look into.

I said that last offseason along with Dalton and got laughed at.  Both played decent this year and would have been WAY better that Mayfield.  I wouldn't be opposed to Minshew either, but he's not any better than the other two.

Draft weapons, re-sign Sam, sign one of these guys and let's get after it in '23!

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I wouldn't.

This is a case of Grass-being-greener-on-the-other-side.

If we don't re-sign Sam, I'd rather we go after Brisset.

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Absolutely, we will - and, I don't mind Sam in that role, I just think sometimes it is better to move on.  And I think it would be for him, and we have as good or better options.

If Wilks is retained. I could absolutely see Sam being brought back to hold the fort, and mentor the kids.

However, a new coach may have other ideas. Which right now seems like a step up.

3 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

"wins" in quotes.

Yeah okay.

When you are running for 200+ yards a game and even manage to crack 300+ yards in that span....your QB play is not why you are winning games in the NFL. 

So yeah, "wins" in quotes.  It's like crediting the league's worst defense with winning a game because an offense had to go out and score 49 points.   The D doesn't win you that game.   The O won the game.  Our rushing attack won those games. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

Let's go get one that actually has had success in the NFL and knows how to play QB and the NFL game.  That's not Sam. 

Sam went 4-2 soooo....technically he did have success in the NFL and knows how to play QB and the NFL game.

HIS problem is he's slow as a snail in going through his progressions (or he just focuses on his first read; maybe he goes to 2nd read sporadically)

He was better (save this last game) in taking care of the football this time around.

If that isn't improvement, I don't know what is.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

The Panthers averaged an absurd 222 rushing yards per game in Sam Darnold's "wins" this year. 

We need a vet on the roster.  Yeah.  Let's go get one that actually has had success in the NFL and knows how to play QB and the NFL game.  That's not Sam. 

And just who is this QB that can do all that? You saw that list. There is precious little QB help waiting to save us. 

1 minute ago, CRA said:

When you are running for 200+ yards a game and even manage to crack 300+ yards in that span....your QB play is not why you are winning games in the NFL. 

So yeah, "wins" in quotes.  It's like crediting the league's worst defense with winning a game because an offense had to go out and score 49 points.   The D doesn't win you that game. 

You act as if there is a stigma attached to being capable of running the ball. Very few teams can win without it.

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

And just who is this QB that can do all that? You saw that list. There is precious little QB help waiting to save us. 

the purpose of that QB/role isn't to see the field or play.  It's film, locker room, teaching etc.   They supposed to come to save us.  They are to help the staff with youth they need at the position. 

Sam Darnold serves no purpose.   And we don't need to bring in a 2023 version of Teddy, Sam, Baker. 

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Sam went 4-2 soooo....technically he did have success in the NFL and knows how to play QB and the NFL game.

HIS problem is he's slow as a snail in going through his progressions (or he just focuses on his first read; maybe he goes to 2nd read sporadically)

Too many ppl still clinging to the past. So what if Sam has had a bad career. THIS year he showed there can be improvement. Isn't that about all you can ask for?

Wilks is coach. Sam may be back

New coach. Who the heck knows

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Gerry Green said:

You act as if there is a stigma attached to being capable of running the ball. Very few teams can win without it.

I don't have an issue with running the ball well.  I simply credit the rush attack when it deserves it.  Not give the credit the bad QB. 

Carolina's run game was absolutely bonkers during that stretch.  And folks are pimping Sam Darnold?? lol.   What Carolina needs to do is acknowledge that feat....and it is one.  They traded CMC and then went crazy on the ground.   Not just good rushing.  Great rushing.  Especially considering teams were playing it.