• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Think it Should Be Wilks...

SetfreexX

10 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Not as a HC, I want to say he garnered some attention as a DC, we are talking about HC options atm. So if you are Wilks and your goal is to be a HC why would you interview for less. 

Flores was added to Pittsburgh roster due to Mike Tomlin creating a job as he was not a coordinator. That was ''minority'' coaches sticking together. 

You expect a one year OC, turned first year HC to ''out plan / out coach'' seasoned NFL veteran coaches?

Look what we did to Ben Johnson's offense...

Held their run game to 2.6 ypc

Kept Amon-Ra under 100 receiving, and outside CJ getting mossed (51 yards) Chark was 3 for 57

Are we talking about that kind of ''out planning / out coaching''? I mention Ben as he was the ''hot'' name. Ya'll forget Rhule was one of if not the ''HOTTEST'' name that cycle with a ''reputation'' for rebuilding programs. 

I'm just saying thinking that a 1st year OC turned HC is the way to the promised land is ''wishful'' thinking at best. And I get it offense has been so inept here, and we see NFL trends etc. but you also can't buy into the ''hype'' too much. 

Which is why I suggested Wilks on a 3yr / avg sal contract. Short enough to move on if needed, or room for an extension if earned inside two years. 

What we need more than anything that ALL of these OCs that people love so much have, is a QUARTERBACK. 

A Pep Hamilton pairing, I'd be open to Scott Turner returning, bringing in a coach from the SF, or LAR staff to be the OC makes sense to me as well. I'm just not sold on the ''inexperienced HC route''. Not after Rhule, and not with all the failure we've seen when teams try to ''find the next''. 

We can talk about the MIA coach, but look at the team he inherited...and what they did with all that cap space (Hill / Armstead / Chubb / etc.)

Taylor and CIN, hit on a number one QB overall, and as time has shown you have about a 50% chance to hit. 

Kingsbury flamed out in ARI, and ended up at odds with ''his guy'' at QB. 

Nathaniel Hackett GB QB guru - 4-11 and fired with Russell Wilson, as bad as a season as they had, we all have seen Russ up close versus us over the years, he's not like what we saw this year. 

There are other examples over the years, if we went the offensive coach route, give me Reich or Caldwell, I want experience first and foremost and they have legit resumes.  

Flores isn't getting HC opportunities this go round because apparently he's a dick. He straight tried to sabotage Tua, and once they paired him with a coach who gave a crap about him then he flourished until his brain kept getting scrambled. Many players have come out not liking Flores from his time in MIA. He's still getting DC interviews. 

And looking at one game to crap on Johnson where their DEFENSE gave up 320+ Rushing yards and 37 points is kind of dumb, especially considering their QB threw for 355 and 3 TDs. So the run game wasn't working, something the offense leaned on heavily throughout the season and jamaal williams lead the league in TDs. OK, let's spin the rock then. He couldn't help that their defense couldn't stop us. 

Let's contrast that with what happened with us against Cincy, Pitt, and TB. Any game we couldn't run, we were SOL. They're stopping the run today, time to pack it in boys, no chance at winning. Can't adjust this scheme to generate some points, nope. and that was with Darnold actually playing well.  

I say this without having Johnson at the top of my list of candidates. Wilks is the same ol' same ol' we had with Rivera. I'm ready for something new. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Malt Liquor said:

9-19 as head coach in the NFL says alot

Fired black coaches after one year also says a lot...

David Culley / Lovie Smith most recently in back to back years in HOU say hello...

Go look at that 2018 ARI roster...they were picking top 10 for a reason

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

If McD and company can do it in BUF why not here, what's the reason for this concern with Wilks?

He didn't get to select a QB in ARI, and squeezed out 6-6 with Mayfield / Sam / PJ. 

And this isn't sarcasm, this is a legit open conversation. 

Because McDermott was actually a good D-coordinator.

Wilks was average at best. There was a massive step down in defensive quality after McDermott left. 

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Flores isn't getting HC opportunities this go round because apparently he's a dick. He straight tried to sabotage Tua, and once they paired him with a coach who gave a crap about him then he flourished until his brain kept getting scrambled. Many players have come out not liking Flores from his time in MIA. He's still getting DC interviews. 

And looking at one game to crap on Johnson where their DEFENSE gave up 320+ Rushing yards and 37 points is kind of dumb, especially considering their QB threw for 355 and 3 TDs. So the run game wasn't working, something the offense leaned on heavily throughout the season and jamaal williams lead the league in TDs. OK, let's spin the rock then. He couldn't help that their defense couldn't stop us. 

Let's contrast that with what happened with us against Cincy, Pitt, and TB. Any game we couldn't run, we were SOL. They're stopping the run today, time to pack it in boys, no chance at winning. Can't adjust this scheme to generate some points, nope. and that was with Darnold actually playing well.  

I say this without having Johnson at the top of my list of candidates. Wilks is the same ol' same ol' we had with Rivera. I'm ready for something new. 

I've said a few times the biggest issue that we face isn't HC post Rhule, it's finding a quarterback. Running the ball only gets you so far, but the point of that game was to show that we handled the offense of a guy many thought could be our next HC until he decided to stay with DET.

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Had us .500 over his span vs .300 under Rhule...

Any data on these first year guys you have that says they're guaranteed to do better...?

Every NFL has an identity, you don't go to PIT and get rid of the terrible towel, or drop the who dat in NO. 

Rhule had no idea wtf he was doing, and all I'm saying is I'm not sold on a 1st year OC turned HC being the answer. 

Some of you want ''change for the sake of change''. 

And Off or Def HC, none of that matters until we find a QB, and I was on the ''I want an offensive minded coach to pair with our rookie'' train, I beat the drum for it after seeing how Rivera mismanaged Cam, but I also see how McD and company up in Buffalo haven't failed Josh Allen. I see the ''Panthers Way'' working in Buffalo better than it ever did here. 

The old NFL is almost dead. You need to move on from ground and pound, run run run football. It's over. And the Bills are not doing Carolina ball. If anyone is, it's Tennessee. Buffalo is a passing team. Allen and Diggs are scary good.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Because McDermott was actually a good D-coordinator.

Wilks was average at best. There was a massive step down in defensive quality after McDermott left. 

Wilks coached a top 10 defense in yards allowed (7th), and 11th in PPG allowed...

You consider this fact average?

I already posted this and the link for reference.

In contrast the 2016 defense, McDermott's last year here as he was hired January 11th, 2017 in Buffalo...

PPG Allowed - 26th 

YPG Allowed - 21st

People really forget why Wilks got the HC opps in the first place, and just focus on the 3-13 like he wasn't set up to fail day one. Didn't have a chance to choose his staff, or top 10 QB. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I've said a few times the biggest issue that we face isn't HC post Rhule, it's finding a quarterback. Running the ball only gets you so far, but the point of that game was to show that we handled the offense of a guy many thought could be our next HC until he decided to stay with DET.

I'm still not following how this proves wilks should be the HC though?

We had over 10 minutes more TOP due to the fact we were running at will, and they still managed to score above the league average of points after they completely abandoned the run. We didn't handle it so much as we beat the breaks off their defense by breaking a franchise record in rushing.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

The old NFL is almost dead. You need to move on from ground and pound, run run run football. It's over. And the Bills are not doing Carolina ball. If anyone is, it's Tennessee. Buffalo is a passing team. Allen and Diggs are scary good.

You're missing the point -- at no point did I say we should pound the ball...

What he did as a coach was find an ''identity'' and a ''way to win'' with this roster. That's what a ''good'' coach does. 

Buffalo ''became'' a team that can pass the ball, but they also went out and traded for Diggs to give Allen a legit #1. Rivera failed to do that, I don't see Wilks making a similar mistake. 

This isn't about the old way vs new way, this is about who I think is a good coach, regardless of his Off / Def background.

6 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

Wilks coached a top 10 defense in yards allowed (7th), and 11th in PPG allowed...

You consider this fact average?

I already posted this and the link for reference.

In contrast the 2016 defense, McDermott's last year here as he was hired January 11th, 2017 in Buffalo...

PPG Allowed - 26th 

YPG Allowed - 21st

People really forget why Wilks got the HC opps in the first place, and just focus on the 3-13 like he wasn't set up to fail day one. Didn't have a chance to choose his staff, or top 10 QB. 

Let's ignore that stint at Cleveland as DC for Wilks though... for narrative's sake. One good year and one bad year averages out to average, to me personally. 

McDermott coached 4 top 10 defenses in his 6 years as DC here. 2016 was the year we went mad dumb with no corners to start the year after cutting Norman with no replacement plan, and also the year Kuechly went down with the bad concussion. By that time he had already proven his abilities as a DC. 

1 minute ago, SetfreexX said:

You're missing the point -- at no point did I say we should pound the ball...

What he did as a coach was find an ''identity'' and a ''way to win'' with this roster. That's what a ''good'' coach does. 

Buffalo ''became'' a team that can pass the ball, but they also went out and traded for Diggs to give Allen a legit #1. Rivera failed to do that, I don't see Wilks making a similar mistake. 

This isn't about the old way vs new way, this is about who I think is a good coach, regardless of his Off / Def background.

Ok, fair. But Wilks failed in Arizona. Failed. He went .500 here. That's average. Most players like their coach and back them ... so the guys saying they like Wilks means very little. So what is it about Wilks that makes you go ... "oh hell yeah, this guy can build a dynasty"?

If we're crapping on Ben Johnson for the loss against us then let's keep it consistent and talk about that Bengals blowout 35 points in a half. And let's also talk about how we let the Bucs keep destroying our secondary without making any attempts at adjustments ie classic Ron Rivera.

I know people are shitting on your take, but Wilks did a good job, and he showed he is better than what he’s given credit for in this sub. Not his staff, not his roster. And he has this team in playoff talks until week 17.

He’s not a sexy new toy offensive wunderkind, so he gets poo on more than he should be. 

• Beer 2