• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Trade Thread

Panthers Fan 69

1 minute ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Jeannot to Tampa lol. 

So, Toronto, NYR, NJD, Boston, and now Tampa have all improved their roster, some of them significantly. What message is the Front Office sending to the fans? What message are they sending to the literal players? Nobody here is dumb. The issues that plagued last season didn’t suddenly disappear. Maybe Dundon thinks divisional winner banners are good enough. 

Well fug me.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Seravalli is leaking some of the packages that  were sent out San Jose (not including player names).

The package that looks like Carolina’s is a first round pick, team’s top prospect, and an additional pick.

Based on that, people were speculating that we offered a 2023 first rounder, a 2024 second rounder (from PHI), and Scott Morrow.

Nailed the initial offer, then from what someone told me SJ asked for way too much!

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Was literally about to post this exact tweet.... no Mercer or Holtz, but good lord that's a haul! And, quite possibly for a rental...

The big problem with getting Timo for Carolina was him not wanting to negotiate an extension. 

I get we haven't done anything (yet), but damn look what Jersey gave up with no extension in place from what I've heard and also the fact that Timo likes the West Coast more than the east.  Also, Timo doesn't want to extend because he's playoff bound now - put up even more #s and get more $$s.

Schmaltz is still in play and maybe Gostisbehere is asked for too as a package deal?

• Beer 1

I feel like the big issue for the Canes is they don’t have any young roster players to use as throw away pieces.

Our bottom six consists of veterans and NJ’s bottom six consists of young average players like Zetterlund who at least have a chance of getting better.

Stastny and Stepan are what they are at this point and the Canes probably could have gotten the same production out of Drury and Rees but the Canes have elected to go with the veteran route.

If you break the trade down…

Zetterlund - Canes don’t have an equivalent

Johnsson - He’s just a cap dump so Canes wouldn’t have needed to include a piece here but the Canes could have included Stepan or an older prospect like Lajoie.

Ohotiuk - His prospect ranking is probably similar to Honka’s

Mukhamadullin - His ranking is similar to Heimosalmi’s.

So if I was to try to create a package like that from the Canes perspective, it would be:

Drury, Stepan, Honka, Heimosalmi, and two first round picks.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I feel like the big issue for the Canes is they don’t have any young roster players to use as throw away pieces.

Our bottom six consists of veterans and NJ’s bottom six consists of young average players like Zetterlund who at least have a chance of getting better.

Stastny and Stepan are what they are at this point and the Canes probably could have gotten the same production out of Drury and Rees but the Canes have elected to go with the veteran route.

If you break the trade down…

Zetterlund - Canes don’t have an equivalent

Johnsson - He’s just a cap dump so Canes wouldn’t have needed to include a piece here but the Canes could have included Stepan or an older prospect like Lajoie.

Ohotiuk - His prospect ranking is probably similar to Honka’s

Mukhamadullin - His ranking is similar to Heimosalmi’s.

So if I was to try to create a package like that from the Canes perspective, it would be:

Drury, Stepan, Honka, Heimosalmi, and two first round picks.

For a rental who won't re-sign with the Canes.  It was never going to happen because Timo wouldn't sign here.

I will see if Waddles comes up with something....if not another year of wasted time within our window.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, USDepartmentOfSavagery said:

Which is a good offer. Sounds like the personal connection between SJ and NJD was too much to overcome. Also some specification that we were intentionally led on by SJ and potentially missed out on other players of interest. 

The team could very well be playing NYR in the 1st round. Another Trouba concussing our players incoming.

If that is the case, San Jose needs to be on our "never trade with them" list. Their GM is a moron and I don't foresee him being with them beyond a few years when they are still trying to rebuild off getting fourth liner level prospects trading away their best player

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

If that is the case, San Jose needs to be on our "never trade with them" list. Their GM is a moron and I don't foresee him being with them beyond a few years when they are still trying to rebuild off getting fourth liner level prospects trading away their best player

Well we did trade for Burns with him, just seems we weren't willing to give up as much for either a rental or a player who would cost us at least $10M next year.

I don't fault Waddles for not paying the price SJ wanted, especially knowing Timo likes the West.  From what I've read the Blues actually could have offered the absolute best package for him, but they didn't either.

Cup or bust for Jersey!! 

• Pie 1