• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tepper admits to mistake in hiring Matt Rhule

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

To this day I couldn't tell you what Matt Rhule brings to the table as a coach that made him such a hot commodity with some NFL owners.  I'm convinced the guy simply had a great press agent that snowed some of the less enlightened sports media talking heads and NFL owners.

The same reason so many people make it to places they clearly do not belong; selling horse manure.

Still cannot comprehend how owners continue to think hiring a college coach who doesn't already have a fair amount of experience in the league is a good idea. The closest analogy I can think of is a dirt racing driver trying to go into NASCAR. Yes, you drive a vehicle regardless but the dynamics are so much different that most of the skills don't translate.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Personally I think it is all overblown.

Owners pick coaches, more times than not they are wrong, it's like drafting players.  If it was easy every team would have a good coach.

There is no perfect formula for finding the right coach.  He went for the "program building, team building, CEO type."  Personally, I'm not a big fan of college coaches for various reasons but he decided to go that route.  It's easy to second guess now but fact is he was on the NFL radar.

This time we are going the experienced HC, with offensive background route, no guarantee that works either.

The swings and misses are going to happen, you can't control that with 100% certainty, all you can control is how you handle the misses.

BTW, this same logic applies to whatever QB we draft if we do indeed draft one.

I get what you're saying, but your argument that it's a crapshoot finding a good coach is only half true. Yes, it takes a lot of variables to be successful beyond just hiring the right head coach to have a winning team. It takes a good staff and players, a whole mix of other intangibles, and honestly luck to have sustained success.

But at the same time, Matt Rhule was obviously going to be a failure. It wasn't really the "variables" that caused him to be a failure. The red flags were all there before Tepper hired him. He had almost zero NFL experience, he had almost zero NFL connections, he wasn't really that successful in college (never beat a ranked team), the list goes on and on. And once he had two losing seasons, he started to show his true colors and should have been fired. Rhule's insane lack of accountability, excuses, and player-blaming started to come out and it got ugly. I was shocked he was retained for the 2022 season. The fans knew he wasn't going to work out at the end of the 2021 season. It was just a mess.

Reich is the polar opposite of Rhule in just about every way. Like you said, it will be a crapshoot. But the chance for success if far higher than it ever was with Rhule. 

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I get what you're saying, but your argument that it's a crapshoot finding a good coach is only half true. Yes, it takes a lot of variables to be successful beyond just hiring the right head coach to have a winning team. It takes a good staff and players, a whole mix of other intangibles, and honestly luck to have sustained success.

But at the same time, Matt Rhule was obviously going to be a failure. It wasn't really the "variables" that caused him to be a failure. The red flags were all there before Tepper hired him. He had almost zero NFL experience, he had almost zero NFL connections, he wasn't really that successful in college (never beat a ranked team), the list goes on and on. And once he had two losing seasons, he started to show his true colors and should have been fired. Rhule's insane lack of accountability, excuses, and player-blaming started to come out and it got ugly. I was shocked he was retained for the 2022 season. The fans knew he wasn't going to work out at the end of the 2021 season. It was just a mess.

Reich is the polar opposite of Rhule in just about every way. Like you said, it will be a crapshoot. But the chance for success if far higher than it ever was with Rhule.  

Here again hindsight is 20/20.  If Mike Tomlin would have failed, you would say it was obvious because he had never been a HC at any level.  Fact is there were other NFL people high on him also.  I'm sure Cleveland fans knew Belichick was terrible after his first two losing seasons.  It's always obvious after the fact.  There are no certainties.

Either way he swung for the fences, maybe you or I thought it was low percentage play, but the fact was other NFL people were high on him also.  Either way he finally changed course (you or I might have done it sooner) but now lets see how it goes.

I agree that Reich is the exact opposite, it's actually a very safe play, which I was kind of expecting. 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea honestly he hasn’t meddled enough. His only mistakes so far have been letting Hurney and Rivera stay too long then hiring Rhule. He should have “meddled” immediately and fired Hurney and Rivera, then found his GM and collaborate on finding a HC. We could have skipped the whole Rhule disaster if he had exercised less patience and moved the rebuilding process up a couple years. 

and we have a winner^

everyone wants to paint him as a Jerry Jones or Snyder type owner but if anything, he has been the opposite.

He missed on Rhule, it happens.  I would fault him more for giving Hurney too much time.  Giving Ron too much time.  Giving Rhule too much time.  Not meddling in the decision for Bridgewater.  Not meddling in the decision for Darnold.  Not meddling in the decision to trade Burns.

That why this idea that it wasn't an attractive job to HCs because of the owner was ridiculous.  The real history he has is overpaying coaches, staying out of their way, and giving them too much time to turn it around.  If I'm a coach that exactly the type of owner I want.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

54 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yea honestly he hasn’t meddled enough. His only mistakes so far have been letting Hurney and Rivera stay too long then hiring Rhule. He should have “meddled” immediately and fired Hurney and Rivera, then found his GM and collaborate on finding a HC. We could have skipped the whole Rhule disaster if he had exercised less patience and moved the rebuilding process up a couple years. 

when did you think he should of fired Ron Rivera? 

I do think the big blunder was not sending Hurney packing when he fired Ron

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

when did you think he should of fired Ron Rivera? 

I do think the big blunder was not sending Hurney packing when he fired Ron

The day he bought the team, imo. Whatever the record was that year I don’t remember off the top of my head but I had wanted Ron gone since early in his third season and was hoping the new owner would come in and clean house.  I understood why he didn’t, the optics would have been terrible no matter what. But it would have been for the good of the team, and hindsight now confirms it. 

31 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

The day he bought the team, imo. Whatever the record was that year I don’t remember off the top of my head but I had wanted Ron gone since early in his third season and was hoping the new owner would come in and clean house.  I understood why he didn’t, the optics would have been terrible no matter what. But it would have been for the good of the team, and hindsight now confirms it. 

The deal was, JR waited a looonng time to final the sale. It was three weeks before the start of TC......he did that on purpose to force tepper to keep both hernaiy and RR.....then hernaiy got to brown nosing and honey dicked tepper...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The deal was, JR waited a looonng time to final the sale. It was three weeks before the start of TC......he did that on purpose to force tepper to keep both hernaiy and RR.....then hernaiy got to brown nosing and honey dicked tepper...

I had forgotten that detail. Makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I had forgotten that detail. Makes sense. 

Yea you simply can not fire both GM and HC(staff too). Then interview and hire 30+ real NFL people within 21 days......total madness......

Speaking of madness, member JR firing gentlegut two weeks before TC.....holy fug batman..... total irsay move

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 2

20 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Yea you simply can not fire both GM and HC(staff too). Then interview and hire 30+ real NFL people within 21 days......total madness......

Speaking of madness, member JR firing gentlegut two weeks before TC.....holy fug batman..... total irsay move

What will be the new excucmse to fire Frank the tank in 2025?