• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thompson talks Wilks, Reich, Evero

Mr. Scot

11 minutes ago, BrianS said:

That doesn't add up.  Luvu averaged a bit more than 7.5 tackles per game played.  Shaq averaged 8 tackles per game played.  Please explain how Shaq is worth nearly three times what Luvu makes.

18 million for a non-rush LB is TOO MUCH MONEY unless you're talking about a guy like a Kuechly who makes everyone else better.  Shaq is no Luke.

If you want to keep Shaq here in the 7-8 million range over 2 additional years, ok.  Otherwise, thank you for your service, best of fortune in your future endeavors.

You've also got to consider that we will now need MORE LB's as we switch to a 3-4.  In that defense, it's the OLB's who make the bread.  Shaq is not a 3-4 OLB.

Don't tell anyone this, especially Luvu, but he is severely underpaid.  If your argument is we can significantly underpay someone else to play for us, then I say good luck with that.

We are in good shape with LBs in a 3-4.  Burns, Luvu, Shaq, Barno, Smith, Haynes, Chinn, and maybe Mosby.  I am really high on Barno and Haynes in this configuration and hope they can get significant snaps.

If Shaq's production flags in this new scheme, then we cut him next year and save 8m.  I was wrong in my original post - the cap hits in 2024 and 2025 are 16m each, not 18m, which probably doesn't make a difference for you.

I think what we need are more DL and a FS.  I'd spend a 2nd on DL and our 3rd on a FS and hope they will be ready for heavy rotation by the time the season starts.

• Pie 2

The Shaq Thompson problem is a  situation the Panthers made for itself by restructuring his deal over the last two years, kicking the can down the road to improve other positional groups.

The chickens have now come home to roost, so to speak. Thompson could be sacrificed one way or another, but that is far from guaranteed.

A scenario could emerge where Thompson is given a new deal, which gets restructured. This keeps him on the books and gives the Panthers extra wiggle room for acquisitions or tying up other key members of the team.

Thompson is experienced enough to not let what comes next impact his performance levels, so take care of business between the white lines and everything else will fall into place.

Whether that’s with the Panthers that drafted him in 2015 or elsewhere is the big question. But it’s hard to look at Thompson’s situation and not think that all options remain on the table.

4 hours ago, frankw said:

He said he won't take a paycut. He's been averaging about 13 million per season on his current deal. So 26 million minimum. Yeah that has a bit of a Hurney vibe to it sorry if you guys don't want to hear it but I thought we were done building our team overinvesting in linebackers and running backs.

Any money you say you will pay him if not guaranteed means nothing. So you can restructure and extend him for cap purposes risk free beyond next year which is all he said he wanted. By converting salary to signing bonus you can kick the cap to when we have plenty of room and he costs us a lot less in 2023. And he actually said he wants to be here and that money wasn't the primary factor.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Any money you say you will pay him if not guaranteed means nothing. So you can restructure and extend him for cap purposes risk free beyond next year which is all he said he wanted. By converting salary to signing bonus you can kick the cap to when we have plenty of room and he costs us a lot less in 2023. And he actually said he wants to be here and that money wasn't the primary factor.

Endless restructures on iffy contacts is what Marty Hurney did for years that led us to the "cap hell" so many here complained about for so long. Weird that's gone out the window again. But alright 👍

17 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Shaq is not great but definitely not bad.  I think the deciding factor will be.  How does he fit our new scheme.  If our new DC can use him than keep him, if not, cut him.   

It's not going to do us any good if he doesn't fit our scheme. 

Yes but...how hard would it be to find someone younger and way cheaper to fill the same spot? I don't think it would take that much. He led the team in tackles. Big whoop. You could bring in a 2nd rounder and they would probably too. To make that much money, you *should* be a difference maker. I just don't see it. I don't see him as a leader of the defense. I don't see him changing games. 

Is he bad, heck no. Is he great? Heck no. 

He is the 20th highest paid LB.  Is he anywhere near a top 20 LB? No. 

1/2 sack. No Int. No FF.  8 TFL. in 2022  Those rank him dead bottom.  He is paid like a difference maker. He had like no difference making plays this year.