• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go for Carr hard and save #9 pick?

Jmac

On 2/15/2023 at 3:06 PM, CanadianCat said:

I think the biggest cheerleader to sign Carr is probably Coral. 

If we draft a QB then Corals career is virtually done as he will never get an opportunity. Carr allows him to be the developmental QB. 

I don't think it changes much either way. He's a longshot and will have to show out in camp for a role regardless. 

Don't let the last staff fool you, more than one QB can be developed at a time.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I don't think it changes much either way. He's a longshot and will have to show out in camp for a role regardless. 

Don't let the last staff fool you, more than one QB can be developed at a time.

And they will develop more than one. They are not going to bet everything on just one guy. 

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

And they will develop more than one. They are not going to bet everything on just one guy. 

The practice time, reps and game experience makes this hard.......and risky.  Just go all in on one guy if you are trying to develop someone.

I cant think of a time when a team actually developed 2 guys.  Washington and cousins may count but that was due to injury.  Jimmy G and New England is probably a good example.   Outside of the starter getting injured I just dont see that as a viable path.  Devote 100% of your resources in making your top 10 pick a franchise guy

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The practice time, reps and game experience makes this hard.......and risky.  Just go all in on one guy if you are trying to develop someone.

I cant think of a time when a team actually developed 2 guys.  Washington and cousins may count but that was due to injury.  Jimmy G and New England is probably a good example.   Outside of the starter getting injured I just dont see that as a viable path.  Devote 100% of your resources in making your top 10 pick a franchise guy

This is not Rhules staff you're dealing with here. They will absolutely develop all of these young guys. Developing doesn't just involve taking up practice reps with the ones. 

Just now, Jon Snow said:

This is not Rhules staff you're dealing with here. They will absolutely develop all of these young guys. Developing doesn't just involve taking up practice reps with the ones. 

How?  Reps are a premium and it has nothing to do with Rhule.  Do you have an example of another team developing 2 guys simultaneously?  If teams could do it they would except the resources and time are extremely limited.  Why would a team rob peter to pay paul in regards to valuable preseason/practice/game time reps?  It doesnt make sense.  Thats why people were pissed last august when rhule was splitting premium first team reps.  It doesnt work.  Name the starter, name the back up and practice accordingly.

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

That it's extremely difficult is a valid observation.

Interesting to note though that between McCown and Parks Frazier, an argument could be made that we have two legit quarterback coaches. 

That's unusual. And of course that's not to mention the other quarterback whisperers we have on staff.

So yeah, there's a reason most teams don't try to do that, but... 😕

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

How?  Reps are a premium and it has nothing to do with Rhule.  Do you have an example of another team developing 2 guys simultaneously?  If teams could do it they would except the resources and time are extremely limited.  Why would a team rob peter to pay paul in regards to valuable preseason/practice/game time reps?  It doesnt make sense.  Thats why people were pissed last august when rhule was splitting premium first team reps.  It doesnt work.  Name the starter, name the back up and practice accordingly.

You keep going back to Rhule. They will not just spend every class hour and practice only teaching one qb.  That is developing them. The practice time with the ones will be determined by which one has the playbook down better and can run the offense with the one's.  That person will get the bulk of the practices with the ones until they show that they are not going to cut it or someone else challenges them for the starting roll. They will not just stop developing the rest of the other qb's just because one eventually starts. This is not amateur hour like before. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

You keep going back to Rhule. They will not just spend every class hour and practice only teaching one qb.  That is developing them. The practice time with the ones will be determined by which one has the playbook down better and can run the offense with the one's.  That person will get the bulk of the practices with the ones until they show that they are not going to cut it or someone else challenges them for the starting roll. They will not just stop developing the rest of the other qb's just because one eventually starts. This is not amateur hour like before. 

It has nothing to do with rhule.  Other teams dont do this.  Why not?  Because its not feasible.  There are limits on practice time etc.  Why in the hell would you split those when your job is on the line? 

Do you have an example of a team trying to develop 2 qbs at the same time?

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

It has nothing to do with rhule.  Other teams dont do this.  Why not?  Because its not feasible.  There are limits on practice time etc.  Why in the hell would you split those when your job is on the line? 

Did you actually read what I posted? Did I say anything about splitting reps? You seem to think that they have to get the bulk of the reps in camp to be considered developing.  That's not the only thing that is involved with developing a qb. The practice reps are to build chemistry with the rest of the offense if and when they have proved they've mastered everything about the offense. 

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Did you actually read what I posted? Did I say anything about splitting reps? You seem to think that they have to get the bulk of the reps in camp to be considered developing.  That's not the only thing that is involved with developing a qb. The practice reps are to build chemistry with the rest of the offense if and when they have proved they've mastered everything about the offense. 

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Do you have an example of a team only developing only one qb on their roster? Why would any team have more than one qb on the roster if the do not intend to develop them to be able to run the offense in the future or in case of emergency? You are not suggesting the they have only one qb on the roster that can run the offense? 

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Do you have an example of a team only developing only one qb on their roster? Why would any team have more than one qb on the roster if the do not intend to develop them to be able to run the offense in the future or in case of emergency? You are not suggesting the they have only one qb on the roster that can run the offense? 

Cool.  You don't have an example