• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KC '22 draft led to key production

top dawg

Damn, that was a slip of the finger.

Edit: OK here is the express version. KC had a really good draft, really good scouting, really good team building, and key production from key rookies.  In short, the GM knows what he's doing, and of course the HC has maybe the best feel for using his pieces and getting them involved in the game (and flow of the game that I've maybe ever seen).

"From first-rounder Trent McDuffie and George Karlaftis to seventh-rounders Jaylen Watson and Isiah Pacheco, Kansas City got a score of hefty contributions from its youngsters this past season -- along with a nod to the club's dynastic hopes ahead."

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-super-bowl-success-started-with-historic-2022-draft-class

I'd also add that the FA addition Kadarius Toney was excellent!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2

19 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Damn, that was a slip of the finger.

Edit: OK here is the express version. KC had a really good draft, really good scouting, really good team building, and key production from key rookies.  In short, the GM knows what he's doing, and of course the HC has maybe the best feel for using his pieces and getting them involved in the game (and flow of the game that I've maybe ever seen).

"From first-rounder Trent McDuffie and George Karlaftis to seventh-rounders Jaylen Watson and Isiah Pacheco, Kansas City got a score of hefty contributions from its youngsters this past season -- along with a nod to the club's dynastic hopes ahead."

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-super-bowl-success-started-with-historic-2022-draft-class

I'd also add that the FA addition Kadarius Toney was excellent!

Toney wasn’t an FA, midseason trade for a 3rd and 6th

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

There is a reason they are polishing their second Lombardi trophy in four years.  KC does a good job of not only assessing what talent is available, but what their own needs and weaknesses are.

The Panthers haven't done that effectively in eons.  If we do one of those things well, we seem to whiff on the other.  I'm hoping the new regime changes that.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

There is a reason they are polishing their second Lombardi trophy in four years.  KC does a good job of not only assessing what talent is available, but what their own needs and weaknesses are.

The Panthers haven't done that effectively in eons.  If we do one of those things well, we seem to whiff on the other.  I'm hoping the new regime changes that.

Honestly, I can't say that we've ever done anything but get lucky in regards to ID-ing talent or assessing strengths and weaknesses, but admittedly I'm probably being cynical. Never two winning seasons in a row breeds cynicism though.

• Beer 2

19 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

And the ability to move on from a “star” player to strengthen the rest of the team. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, I can't say that we've ever done anything but get lucky in regards to ID-ing talent or assessing strengths and weaknesses, but admittedly I'm probably being cynical. Never two winning seasons in a row breeds cynicism though.

Well, either you aren't being cynical or we both are.  When I mentioned we haven't done it in eons I could not think of a case where we actually did it more than once in the same year, which could be dumb luck. 

The fact that our winning seasons appear to be almost random, the smart money is on identifying talent, assessment of strengths and weaknesses, and as @Toomers just posted, knowing when it is time to move on from someone all being just luck. 

• Beer 2

I'd just like to add this quote here as well.

Before we started this season, the AFC West said we were rebuilding," Mahomes told the fans at the rally. "I'm going to be honest with you -- I don't know what rebuilding means! In our rebuilding year we're world champs."

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-sends-message-to-doubters-in-our-rebuilding-year-we-re

To the victor goes the right to talk sh¡t...especially when it's true. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

In what sense would the Chiefs be considered going through a rebuild at any level? They lost Tyreek Hill. But they still have Mahomes and Kelce. They are creating a narrative about "haters" that exists only in their minds. They have now become just as insufferable as the Patriots IMO.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, frankw said:

In what sense would the Chiefs be considered going through a rebuild at any level? They lost Tyreek Hill. But they still have Mahomes and Kelce. They are creating a narrative about "haters" that exists only in their minds. They have no become just as insufferable as the Patriots IMO.

Not to totally disagree, but they added a bunch of pieces, especially to their receiving corps. I heard the talk. Plenty of people chose them to miss the Super Bowl this year and to possibly be even third in the division. Plenty of people were questioning Mahomes' supremacy as the best QB in the league before the season and during the season. They may be blowing it up, but there was plenty of fuel for them during the offseason and after to form a chip on their shoulder. 

Edited by top dawg

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Not to totally disagree, but they added a bunch of pieces, especially to their receiving corps. I heard the talk. Plenty of people chose them to miss the Super Bowl this year and to possibly be even third in the division. Plenty of people were questioning Mahomes' supremacy as the best QB in the league before the season and during the season. They may be blowing it up, but there was plenty of fuel for them during the offseason and after to form a chip on their shoulder. 

Yeah I did see some of the talk about how they may not be as formidable as they once were offensively. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with an opinion worth listening to who thought they were not still in contention for the AFCC. The way they are trying so hard airing out grievances after winning another Super Bowl is just cringe. I hope the Bills or the Bengals give them all they can handle next season. Parity is good.