• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Reevaluating David Tepper

Mr. Scot

Just now, countryboi said:

The amount of hate and love that Tepper swings wildly based on the day and how much money he is spending. At the end of the day he is middle of the pack owner with deep pockets. 

It's not the money he's spending.

It has a lot more to do with whether or not he's trying to make decisions he's not really qualified to make himself or he's letting the people who genuinely are qualified do so.

That's what's of prime importance to me.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not the money he's spending.

It has a lot more to do with whether or not he's trying to make decisions he's not really qualified to make himself or he's letting the people who genuinely are qualified do so.

That's what's of prime importance to me.

There is also the possibility that the past team debacles attributed to him (and he is ultimately responsible for, whether they were his decisions or not) might be due to the personalities involved.

Go back to the 4-3 vs. 3-4 mess with Rivera and read the room.  Our defense stunk late in that year.  Rivera had no answers.  Hurney was a yes man trying to save his job.  I doubt Tepper said "run the 3-4" but something like "maybe we should consider a 3-4."  To a guy with no answers who probably felt the job slipping away and a guy who was the Panther's version of Mr. Haney (for those who don't get the reference, look up Green Acres), even hearing they maybe should consider it gets interpreted as being told the boss wants them to do it. 

Now go to coaching search #1 and read the room, which consists of Tepper and the same yes man who has an insatiable appetite for meatballs.  Tepper has talked about sports science and reliance on analytics.  Both our yes man and the snake oil salesman being interviewed latched onto that as their golden ticket.  Add a plate of meatballs and you have a recipe for disaster.

Tepper's main sins may be nothing more than giving the wrong people the benefit of the doubt and naivety in telegraphing what he is looking for.  Those are on him, and I would say his obsession with analytics above all else and misunderstanding what an NFL HC has to do are also his to own.  But, when the guy who should be trying to talk you back from the ledge knows more about a plate of meatballs than what an NFL HC has to do, off the ledge you go.  And you hopefully learn from it. 

I'm not absolving Tepper from these things, after all, he is ultimately responsible.  But given his chief advisor was Hurney and he was green as an NFL owner, what did we think was going to happen?  Had he sent Hurney out the door before Rivera, maybe all this plays out differently, who knows?

• Beer 3

5 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

There is also the possibility that the past team debacles attributed to him (and he is ultimately responsible for, whether they were his decisions or not) might be due to the personalities involved.

Go back to the 4-3 vs. 3-4 mess with Rivera and read the room.  Our defense stunk late in that year.  Rivera had no answers.  Hurney was a yes man trying to save his job.  I doubt Tepper said "run the 3-4" but something like "maybe we should consider a 3-4."  To a guy with no answers who probably felt the job slipping away and a guy who was the Panther's version of Mr. Haney (for those who don't get the reference, look up Green Acres), even hearing they maybe should consider it gets interpreted as being told the boss wants them to do it. 

Now go to coaching search #1 and read the room, which consists of Tepper and the same yes man who has an insatiable appetite for meatballs.  Tepper has talked about sports science and reliance on analytics.  Both our yes man and the snake oil salesman being interviewed latched onto that as their golden ticket.  Add a plate of meatballs and you have a recipe for disaster.

Tepper's main sins may be nothing more than giving the wrong people the benefit of the doubt and naivety in telegraphing what he is looking for.  Those are on him, and I would say his obsession with analytics above all else and misunderstanding what an NFL HC has to do are also his to own.  But, when the guy who should be trying to talk you back from the ledge knows more about a plate of meatballs than what an NFL HC has to do, off the ledge you go.  And you hopefully learn from it. 

I'm not absolving Tepper from these things, after all, he is ultimately responsible.  But given his chief advisor was Hurney and he was green as an NFL owner, what did we think was going to happen?  Had he sent Hurney out the door before Rivera, maybe all this plays out differently, who knows?

Oh, absolutely.

I've said before that Jerry Richardson's biggest sin (besides Jeans Day) was trusting the wrong people, particularly Marty.

Then you move on to Tepper, who not only makes the same mistake but does so with the same guy.

It may not necessarily be that David Tepper suddenly became football smart so much as he finally got a better idea who else was...and who wasn't.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

Good read. Tepper deserves criticism but he's not tight on money when it comes to hiring coaches, just got to hire the right guy and I think he did that this time around.  I just hope the culture of winning comes back and we go back to the 'Keep Pounding' roots that Rhule tried to stray away from. 

3 minutes ago, Panthering said:

Good read. Tepper deserves criticism but he's not tight on money when it comes to hiring coaches, just got to hire the right guy and I think he did that this time around.  I just hope the culture of winning comes back and we go back to the 'Keep Pounding' roots that Rhule tried to stray away from. 

I've noticed that in the videos posted so far with members of our new staff, several of them have closed out their clips with "keep pounding".

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've noticed that in the videos posted so far with members of our new staff, several of them have closed out their clips with "keep pounding".

I'm glad to hear that, they need to re-establish a connection with the fans again after the last few years.... mostly by just winning the dam games.

• Beer 1

In retrospect, it is pretty obvious newbie owner, David Tepper, was unable discern between whatever Marty Hurney was telling him and sound advice.  

To Tepper's credit, he's done a 180 recently by surrounding himself with a boatload of highly respected NFL advisors.

Can't wait to see what this new staff accomplishes in free agency and the draft.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

In retrospect, it is pretty obvious newbie owner, David Tepper, was unable discern between whatever Marty Hurney was telling him and sound advice.  

To Tepper's credit, he's done a 180 recently by surrounding himself with a boatload of highly respected NFL advisors.

Can't wait to see what this new staff accomplishes in free agency and the draft.

Defining terms, a talent is something you have innately while a skill is something you build.

I look at bullsh-t recognition as a skill, not a talent. And It's kinda hard to be skilled at something when you're the newest kid on the block.

• Pie 2

Obviously he isn't unwilling to spend as evidenced by the contract given to his first head coaching hire. But now he's doing it the right way and spending on actual NFL level coaches. The elephant in the room has been the approach to the quarterback position. Get that right and criticism will be very minimal.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, frankw said:

Obviously he isn't unwilling to spend as evidenced by the contract given to his first head coaching hire. But now he's doing it the right way and spending on actual NFL level coaches. The elephant in the room has been the approach to the quarterback position. Get that right and criticism will be very minimal.

Yeah.  I haven't been here long but it's obvious from what I read here is that spending a ton wasn't the issue.

It's spending WISELY that was. 

and now he's done that with the Coaching at least.

• Pie 2