• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person: Sense around the league is they’re going up for CJ Stroud

Varking

Just now, MHS831 said:

For those who think Bryce Young is in the picture, this may be common knowledge but it is the first I have seen it in writing.  From the San Diego Newspaper: 

GM Scott Fitterer is swinging for the fences after missing on reclamation projects San Darnold and Baker Mayfield. Fitterer paid the premium for the pick, now he has to get it right. I’m thinking the decision comes down to Ohio State’s Stroud or Florida’s Anthony Richardson — both were exceptional at the combine in Indianapolis. New head coach Frank Reich has almost exclusively worked with prototypical sized quarterbacks in his career and made a point to declare Alabama’s Bryce Young’s size “is a concern” when he was asked in Indy. Despite dealing with several injuries at wide receiver, Stroud didn’t miss a beat last season — he was second in touchdown passes (41) and QBR (88.9) in 2022 — and nearly beat the two-time national champion Georgia Bulldogs in the semifinals with 348 yards and four touchdowns, while showcasing his scrambling ability (he’s a traditional pocket passer).

Saw that. It's been discussed a little.

Reich raved about Young's ability (same as many of us have) but yeah... 😕 

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

For those who think Bryce Young is in the picture, this may be common knowledge but it is the first I have seen it in writing.  From the San Diego Newspaper: 

GM Scott Fitterer is swinging for the fences after missing on reclamation projects San Darnold and Baker Mayfield. Fitterer paid the premium for the pick, now he has to get it right. I’m thinking the decision comes down to Ohio State’s Stroud or Florida’s Anthony Richardson — both were exceptional at the combine in Indianapolis. New head coach Frank Reich has almost exclusively worked with prototypical sized quarterbacks in his career and made a point to declare Alabama’s Bryce Young’s size “is a concern” when he was asked in Indy. Despite dealing with several injuries at wide receiver, Stroud didn’t miss a beat last season — he was second in touchdown passes (41) and QBR (88.9) in 2022 — and nearly beat the two-time national champion Georgia Bulldogs in the semifinals with 348 yards and four touchdowns, while showcasing his scrambling ability (he’s a traditional pocket passer).

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/story/2023-03-11/2023-nfl-mock-draft-three-round-projections

What the hell does that Frank Reich guy know amirite?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

A lot of Cleveland seems to be okay with guys who harass and assault their masseuses.

Wasn't it Cleveland where that dude had three women chained up in his basement for years? Some guy named Castro.  Big Browns fan.  Member of the Dawg Pound. 

I made some of that up.

We are going to take a hard look at all of them.  If we said, "We like Stroud, but please, come fly to Charlotte for a visit and private workout," they would decline.

A lot could change in six weeks, but if the draft were tomorrow, we'd take Stroud. 

I would say the percent chance that we draft Stroud is about 80%.  Unless some bad news comes out, like he has women chained in his dorm's basement or he is friends with the Brown's QB, he should be OK.

I like Young (the person and player) a lot. I would not be disappointed to see us take him.  However, as soon as we did, I would start worrying about his durability.

And there is this:  My late father (a former Gamecock starter who caught 35 passes his sophomore year -the year I was born--so he knows his football) told me once, "The great QBs are those with the skill to take the team on their backs and drive the field when it is needed the most.  If they can't play from behind, they are not going to make in the NFL.  You have to be able to play the position when everyone in the stadium knows what you are going to do, but nobody can stop you."

I see Stroud as that QB more than I see Young.  Watch the Georgia game--he showed us all we needed to know about him.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1