• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Simms top QB prospects

NAS

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jones is playing for the GOAT coach. And he's trash. Bailey Zappe looked better than he ever has.

I think that's kinda the point though, isn't it?

I'm by no means fronting for Jones, but for all the 'Fields is a Franchise QB' (that led his team to the #1 overall pick), he's hardly put any distance between himself and the rest of the... field. 

I can see why a QB evaluator who values throws from the pocket prefers Jones to Fields. 

37 minutes ago, gmonjimbo said:

I agree with you, Ivory. I think Bryce Young is a generational prospect at QB and I'm an LSU fan. I think it says something to be the consensus No.1 QB in high school, then validate that ranking by winning the Heisman. Alabama wasn't as strong at WR or OL this year compared to the recent history. 

His frame is a concern. Yet, if we judge by his history, he's missed one game as a starter in the conference that produces the most NFL-ready defensive linemen. 

I think CJ Stroud is a good player. I just think of "safe pick". He has the least concerns about the QB, yet I don't see him cracking the top 7 QB in the league.

I trust the coaching staff to use the next month to evaluate, interview, and whiteboard sessions to pick their guy. At the end of the day, it's their necks on the chopping block. 

He's only generational between the ears (which, yes, is the most important part). He's simply too small to risk two first round picks, two second round picks and your WR1 on. 

Of the two recent comparisons, both Wilson and Murray were bigger (stockier), more mobile and with better arms. 

I actually liked Simms' comment (not sure if it was in the Young evaluation or the Richardson one) where he said "his floor is 'he's too small to play in the NFL'". That's terrifying for a GM - that's not something that has blindsided you 6 months after you Draft him, you're picking him knowing it's a distinct possibility.

15 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Not only starting but they're fine with passing up Stroud and Young to build around him instead. It's nice seeing some teams trying to put their rookies in a position to succeed rather than  the Rhule approach. I think we're set up for whoever we get to have total fair shot at proving themselves franchise worthy, instead of hoping they can put the whole team on their back 

I genuinely hope that move gets him fired. 

Lovie Smith gifted you the next great QB and you traded away the pick...

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I think that's kinda the point though, isn't it?

I'm by no means fronting for Jones, but for all the 'Fields is a Franchise QB' (that led his team to the #1 overall pick), he's hardly put any distance between himself and the rest of the... field. 

I can see why a QB evaluator who values throws from the pocket prefers Jones to Fields. 

There's a reason why the Bears are sticking with Fields despite having the #1 overall pick. Their odds of landing a definite upgrade is low so take the haul. Fields has probably been in the worst QB situation in the NFL so far during his career. No weapons and no OL is a tough row to hoe.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There's a reason why the Bears are sticking with Fields despite having the #1 overall pick. Their odds of landing a definite upgrade is low so take the haul. Fields has probably been in the worst QB situation in the NFL so far during his career. No weapons and no OL is a tough row to hoe.

Fields isn’t better than the top 2 QBs in this draft the haul they got from us is better for the franchise than what they would have got for Fields 

12 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Fields isn’t better than the top 2 QBs in this draft the haul they got from us is better for the franchise than what they would have got for Fields 

Time will tell. I've watched enough prospects come and go to know to not make definitive statements about guys who have never played a down of NFL football. 

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Is it?

I've been told it's all about having a franchise QB. Everything else is secondary. 

59 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

He's only generational between the ears (which, yes, is the most important part). He's simply too small to risk two first round picks, two second round picks and your WR1 on. 

Of the two recent comparisons, both Wilson and Murray were bigger (stockier), more mobile and with better arms. 

I actually liked Simms' comment (not sure if it was in the Young evaluation or the Richardson one) where he said "his floor is 'he's too small to play in the NFL'". That's terrifying for a GM - that's not something that has blindsided you 6 months after you Draft him, you're picking him knowing it's a distinct possibility.

I'm not going to argue against his frame or height. The concern is warranted. I pushback when comparing him to Tua (not saying you), when Tua definitely showed signs of being injury prone with reportedly five surgeries in college.

I think if Young and Stroud have similar draft grades. On the safe side, I would go with Stroud. 

However, I think Young is better than Stroud when it comes to commanding a game - excellent spatial awareness reading the defense, and knowing where his receivers need to be. I think he can evaluate the players around him. 

I'm not sure yet about Stroud. I can't fault him but he will probably have thrown to five first round NFL receivers during his college.

I’ve noticed the Bible thumping under Reich. No comment just an observation. One thing that sticks out to me is Stroud made a point to mention he was a man of god during his combine interview. Lots of new coaches and players have been saying similar things. 

Edited by RJK