• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

On the flipside...

Yeah he isn't far behind Young in processing and going through reads if at all IMO.  So you basically get that without the size risk.  The biggest negative about Stroud to me is he has always had elite WRs and a great OL around him.  It will be interesting to see if he can stay cool/confident when the playing field is more even.

8 hours ago, ncsfinest21 said:

IMO, I'd rather have the player that played all the games except GA that averaged almost 300 yards passing. Id rather he not scramble but only if he has to but showed you he can. Young tries to scramble he will break apart like a lego. 

That's fine. Pointing out Stroud's areas of improvement doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered for the No.1 pick 

"There’s still room for Stroud to become more comfortable as a creator. He has the athleticism and arm to work off-script, but at times, passes up opportunities to create and struggles to stay in control in those situations. Luckily, Stroud’s final game against Georgia was a very promising development in that regard."

If you look at the new trend of QB's that have come out the last six years: Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, etc. They all use their athleticism to create plays off-script (it doesn't mean turning into Michael Vick - it can simply mean extending time in the pocket to find a WR downfield for a big gain) 

I prefer Bryce Young over Stroud because Young can make plays on and off-script consistently over the 20+ games he played. I also like the comments from the Panthers GM about his mental preparation and approach to the game already being at an NFL level. 

I don't think any level-headed Young supporter denies questions about his frame or durability at the next level.

I think the Panthers will draft Stroud. He is the safest pick of all the QBs in this draft. He can run the system that Thomas Brown and Frank Reich will install. Then hopefully get him to a stage where he feels more comfortable using his athleticism (and again not saying read option) to create plays. 

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Can you point me to any scouting report that suggests this?

Bruce Feldman's article mentions him having "a little different personality" and kind of a "blank face". Others have said similar things.

Whether or not it's a negative is kind of open to interpretation. Where some would see it as being cool and even keeled, others might see it as aloof.

I'm not that worried about it myself, but I've made note of it.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bruce Feldman's article mentions him having "a little different personality" and kind of a "blank face". Others have said similar things.

Whether or not it's a negative is kind of open to interpretation. Where some would see it as being cool and even keeled, others might see it as aloof.

I'm not that worried about it myself, but I've made note of it.

Maybe but there are literally dozens of articles about how his teammates love his demeanor, work ethic and lookerroom/huddle presence.  So color me as IDGAF what national writers think when his teammates seem to want to go to war with him. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Maybe but there are literally dozens of articles about how his teammates love his demeanor, work ethic and lookerroom/huddle presence.  So color me as IDGAF what national writers think when his teammates seem to want to go to war with him. 

It's fair to point out that leading college kids is a lot different than leading grown men.

Like I said though, I'm not that worried about it, but I make note of it.

24 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would say judging by their pro days and combine interviews, CJ is definitely more the alpha of the two. His competitiveness is starting to come to light more. He was ready to drop the interviews and play horse with McCown at his pro day lol. 

• Pie 2