• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are smaller players more injury-prone?

MHS831

The only reason height should come into question between Young and Stroud is the ability to scan the field from the pocket. Young is forced to be more mobile to get a better view of the field. He does it really well, but, again forced to choose, I'd rather have a QB who wasn't forced to be mobile so he could see the field better.

Focused in on a potential to be injured on a player with no injury history is waste of time.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

There are way too many factors IMO like playing style, types of hits etc.  If all things are constant then I would imagine a smaller player/object would be more damaged by impact than a larger one.  

Right--but if the size is not as significant at the football intelligence, processing, release time, etc, then why would size be a factor when it can be so easily overcome with other variables?  One article claimed that the tissue around the joints for larger athletes is under more stress ans subject to injury as a result.  If the NFL rules protecting QBs are upheld and Bryce understands that he must make plays without attempting to extend them, he could be effective as a "point guard" as the team has often said.  There could be data supporting the opposite, but until I see it, I will consider this--I was actually shocked when I read these results.

• Pie 2

Just now, MHS831 said:

Right--but if the size is not as significant at the football intelligence, processing, release time, etc, then why would size be a factor when it can be so easily overcome with other variables?  One article claimed that the tissue around the joints for larger athletes is under more stress ans subject to injury as a result.  If the NFL rules protecting QBs are upheld and Bryce understands that he must make plays without attempting to extend them, he could be effective as a "point guard" as the team has often said.  There could be data supporting the opposite, but until I see it, I will consider this--I was actually shocked when I read these results.

If this was truly the case then why is everyone (coaches, scouts, execs, analysts etc) making a huge deal out of his size? 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 2

If nothing else, this article should cause people to second-guess their theories based on Young's size when the variables that matter are related to how he will be used/play.

Cam Newton, according to that thinking, should never have been injured and should have had a long career--enter Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney....

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If this was truly the case then why is everyone (coaches, scouts, execs, analysts etc) making a huge deal out of his size? 

First - its the predraft process.  People make a "big deal" about a guys arms being 3/4" shorter than some other guys arms. LOL

Second - I would imagine its hard to be around the beasts that play defense in the NFL on a daily basis and not have some level of fear of what they could do to someone Bryce's size.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

That's why I am comfortable with us taking Young.  I think his awareness and intelligence could possibly overcompensate for his size.  It is still something that can't be ignored and that's the conservation out staff is probably having.  Can Young adjust his style of play to take less hits, while still being great at extending plays?  Can his intelligence overcompensate for his lack of size?  The answer very well could be yes.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If nothing else, this article should cause people to second-guess their theories based on Young's size when the variables that matter are related to how he will be used/play.

Cam Newton, according to that thinking, should never have been injured and should have had a long career--enter Ron Rivera and Marty Hurney....

Imo, there are reasons to believe that size is a factor, but potential for injury is not one of them.

Unless a player has a injury history beyond what us normal for the position, it should not be a factor. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You mean the NFL executives who have a 56% success rate drafting the first overall pick? I think everyone wants that 6-4 QB who can scan the field, but in relation to injury, they could be basing a decision on a myth.  Maybe they have not looked at data?  Maybe they simply assumed and based their opinions on a false assumption.  There will be people who criticize the data without supportive data for their opinions, basing an opinion on "common sense."  Like people who refuse to look at the overwhelming psychological and emotional data on the long term impacts of spanking-dismissing it as nonsense without any evidence that demonstrates it is effective without potential long-term cognitive and behavioral consequences.  People are close-minded in general, and that is a form of ignorance.  Just an example of human nature.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But it is a reason 

A reason for what? If you're looking for one...I'm sure you can make it into a bigger deal than it actually is, but aside from that it's just a waste of time to project injury on a player without an injury history, especially when you aren't doing it for anyone else.

If you don't like a player or just prefer another one, fine, but just admit it. You don't have to grasp at straws saying "he's small so he's more likely to get hurt than someone 2 inches taller" because history and statistics just don't bear that out.

• Pie 4