• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young Film Breakdown Megathread

Ricky Spanish

1 hour ago, Icege said:

vs. Texas
If I had to pick one game for somebody to watch and see what kind of player that they're getting with Bryce Young, it's this game. Texas brought pressure and knocked him down early and often. At one point the Bama offense had three consecutive three-and-outs! Bryce stayed calm though and made a variety of plays that directly led to his team getting the dub (one of which is queued up below). This is one of his top 3 games from the 2022 season and I'm willing to say that I don't believe that it's his best either. I've got two games where he wowed me on the tape even more than this game.

The game itself is also just an absolute blast to experience again.

as someone who accepts Young 100% as the pick, all watching this game just now did was make me question it lol. he absolutely sucks for 90% of this.

Granted Thielen will catch most of these dropped passes, the rest of it is just throws to the flat and panic throws to the turf. also a couple easy pick-6s for an NFL defense.

• Pie 2

NFL DCs are really going to fry his noodle, too easy to stop a one dimensional threat in the NFL, Drew Brees 6', Brady 6'3" yet people talk about processing. 

Make those two guys shorter keep the processing but less visibility there is less time in the NFL to improvise.

He has trouble when there's coverage and the three man rush with a spy stymied him again and again. That's simple to do in the NFL especially with elite size and speed on those pursuits.

I hope this is the best bluff in football draft history and we don't waist this #1 maybe another pick but #1 is reserved for the elite players with elite physical AND mental traits, when you add and subtract advantages and disadvantages he still comes out short when compared to the other QBs that can move the ball on the ground.

His game here in 2023 is incomplete and they're casting him as a traditional pocket passer at 5'10" which is not preferred or the norm.

Horrible decision.

Edited by rippadonn
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 2

6 hours ago, rippadonn said:

NFL DCs are really going to fry his noodle, too easy to stop a one dimensional threat in the NFL, Drew Brees 6', Brady 6'3" yet people talk about processing. 

Make those two guys shorter keep the processing but less visibility there is less time in the NFL to improvise.

He has trouble when there's coverage and the three man rush with a spy stymied him again and again. That's simple to do in the NFL especially with elite size and speed on those pursuits.

I hope this is the best bluff in football draft history and we don't waist this #1 maybe another pick but #1 is reserved for the elite players with elite physical AND mental traits, when you add and subtract advantages and disadvantages he still comes out short when compared to the other QBs that can move the ball on the ground.

His game here in 2023 is incomplete and they're casting him as a traditional pocket passer at 5'10" which is not preferred or the norm.

Horrible decision.

cbs lol GIF by HULU

https://theathletic.com/4420436/2023/04/21/bryce-young-nfl-draft-short-quarterbacks-stats-history/

Sure it can work but a lot of things have to go right.  And you are starting from behind the 8 ball as it is.

A high-ranking NFC talent evaluator granted anonymity because he was not authorized by his team to speak on the record says Young was limited by his size only when he tried to escape a big defender. “He’s elusive, but when a big guy gets his hand on him, he is going to go down,” he says. “Young can’t break away from someone like bigger quarterbacks can.”

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://theathletic.com/4420436/2023/04/21/bryce-young-nfl-draft-short-quarterbacks-stats-history/

Sure it can work but a lot of things have to go right.  And you are starting from behind the 8 ball as it is.

A high-ranking NFC talent evaluator granted anonymity because he was not authorized by his team to speak on the record says Young was limited by his size only when he tried to escape a big defender. “He’s elusive, but when a big guy gets his hand on him, he is going to go down,” he says. “Young can’t break away from someone like bigger quarterbacks can.”

Only QB in this draft that’s going to break tackles from big guys is ARich

9 hours ago, rodeo said:

as someone who accepts Young 100% as the pick, all watching this game just now did was make me question it lol. he absolutely sucks for 90% of this.

Granted Thielen will catch most of these dropped passes, the rest of it is just throws to the flat and panic throws to the turf. also a couple easy pick-6s for an NFL defense.

In a bubble, it most definitely isn't up there with Stroud's best game vs. Ohio State. However, I found it to be enjoyable/impressive for a few reasons:

• It's week 2 college football. Week 2 NFL football is ugly, and the kids aren't going to be any more in sync than the pros will be. So I'm expecting things like missed block assignments and defenses being more aggressive as the offenses gel.
  • What I wanted to see under these conditions are how Bryce deals with the adversity and takes hits. He got hammered the entire game, such as the big hit queued up at the bottom of this post. Did this cause him to get happy feet, hurry up his mechanics, bail early, etc? The way he rose to the occasion instead of wilting under pressure was admirable.
  • We have the luxury of hindsight in knowing that Bama's OL was statistically bad this season. They gave up more penalties than anybody else, struggled at times in the run game, and the pass blocking was so suspect that adjustments had to be made in the LA-Monroe game to get the ball out quicker. That latter part is a common theme for Bama's offense throughout the season: get pressured frequently in the first half and have the run game stall out, so go to a quick screen/out/underneath passing game. They also lacked a deep threat guy that they've been blessed with in the past, so they didn't have a weapon to take the top off of the defense with.
  • I've also gotten to see LA-Monroe, which if you feel like questioning things further then turn that tape on. Seeing how he rose to the occasion and it took until Vandy for the offense to get firing on all cylinders allowed me to overlook a lot of things that happened with the offense looking so sloppy for those first 3 games

This was a big hit 😮 Didn't phase him tho, and led to plenty of other highlight reel moments for Bryce!

Edited by Icege
  • Pie 1