• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer: Bryce Young scored 98 on his S2 teat

TheSpecialJuan

How can we know the value or efficacy of this test as it relates to playing QB without having access to all the data points? 

Are there examples of QBs with scores in the 90th+ percentile that have failed in the NFL? 

Unless this information is available, I do not believe we can place much weight on the test. 

If it were as easy as just pick the QB with the highest S2 score, and the S2 score very accurately predicted success, then there probably would not be so many misses in QB selection. 

8 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Im not sure thats exactly how it works. There are definitely limitations to how fast someone can process things regardless of doing the test multiple times.  Im fairly sure its randomized and the examples ive heard were things like 5 shapes flash up and one is different in some way and how many tenths of a second it takes you to recognize the different one.   Its almost a measure of impulse.  I know it takes a specific computer setup and network to make sure there is 0 latency to measure the tenths of a seconds or even less accurately.

I think there has to be some pretty serious consideration that doing it many times is definitely advantageous to never doing it. I'm not sure how often CJ has taken it (or whether it was his first time).

I'm trying to think of something to compare it to and the Stroop Effect came to mind. I think it is a lot easier for somebody to score higher on it once they are used to reading the colored font of the word after doing it a few times, as opposed to somebody that has never taken it.

I'd be curious if they had each QB do it three times a day over a set limit of time, such as a 1 week span, and see how scores fluctuate. If all the QBs scored statistically significantly higher on the latter tests, then I think that would give us a good answer as to how repeated exposure to the test impacts performance.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, TruthVsComfort said:

How can we know the value or efficacy of this test as it relates to playing QB without having access to all the data points? 

Are there examples of QBs with scores in the 90th+ percentile that have failed in the NFL? 

Unless this information is available, I do not believe we can place much weight on the test. 

If it were as easy as just pick the QB with the highest S2 score, and the S2 score very accurately predicted success, then there probably would not be so many misses in QB selection. 

Also a great point.

And I like how they use Josh Allen as an example of a really high score when I think his judgment is pretty awful. He throws into double coverage/low percentage windows a lot IMO and gets away with it because of his great athleticism and super strong arm.

33 minutes ago, Ivory Panther said:

Interesting take by some, making it seem like it's a negative for BRYCE to have taken the test before.

first of all, we don't know whether others took the test before as well...

More importantly, Being prepared and trying to take advantage of anything is the difference between good & great!

It shows the guy takes this QB thing seriously. As far as we know, every other QB had access to take the test before or practice, so if he is the only one who did, that shows you something.

The desire to be great and try to gain every single advantage you can, is why the greats are greats.

Manning, Brees, Brady, Luke Kuechly etc...were great due to being more prepared than most.

I'm for 1 excited about getting a QB who we know will take advantage of anything to get ahead if he was the only 1 practicing for it.

I agree with this perspective. All of these posts about trying to knock Bryce for practicing for this test is ridiculous. If you knew that you were going to college, you know you have to take the SAT/ACT, so you're not going to prepare for it? Give credit where credit is due, just because you prepare for an exam doesn't guarantee success, these are high stakes exams and difficult tests to begin with. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

This is a good example but a bad example at the same time. If you run the 40 yard dash daily, you will get faster at it to a point. Better technique will get you faster. Better body conditioning will get you faster. There are things you can do to improve at it. I'm not sure how one would improve at the S2 specifically. 

I'm still not 100% sure what tests are part of the s2, but I would imagine reaction time is a pretty big component. And you can absolutely improve your reaction time through cognitive training exercises.

8 minutes ago, TruthVsComfort said:

Of course no single test or score will explain everything. Bryce scoring high on this test just adds more evidence to what you already know about him. This is only one piece of the puzzle. A high S2 score alone doesn't guarantee success. 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

I agree with this perspective. All of these posts about trying to knock Bryce for practicing for this test is ridiculous. If you knew that you were going to college, you know you have to take the SAT/ACT, so you're not going to prepare for it? Give credit where credit is due, just because you prepare for an exam doesn't guarantee success, these are high stakes exams and difficult tests to begin with. 

I think it's less of a knock on Bryce and more of a we shouldn't put a ton of value into this 1 random test because we can name like 5 elite QBs who scored well on it without mentioning all of the QBs who have ever taken the test and their scores on it.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I think there has to be some pretty serious consideration that doing it many times is definitely advantageous to never doing it. I'm not sure how often CJ has taken it (or whether it was his first time).

I'm trying to think of something to compare it to and the Stroop Effect came to mind. I think it is a lot easier for somebody to score higher on it once they are used to reading the colored font of the word after doing it a few times, as opposed to somebody that has never taken it.

I'd be curious if they had each QB do it three times a day over a set limit of time, such as a 1 week span, and see how scores fluctuate. If all the QBs scored statistically significantly higher on the latter tests, then I think that would give us a good answer as to how repeated exposure to the test impacts performance.

I am curious as well because this feels like a variable it would need to control for somehow.

1 minute ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I think it's less of a knock on Bryce and more of a we shouldn't put a ton of value into this 1 random test because we can name like 5 elite QBs who scored well on it without mentioning all of the QBs who have ever taken the test and their scores on it.

Of course, it's only one small piece of the puzzle to his whole evaluation. But scoring highly is just more evidence to what you already knew about him. What if he actually bombed the S2 score but his tape is excellent? Does the S2 test have more significance now that it's negative? just asking.