• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bijan vs Bryce

Peon Awesome

1 hour ago, Harbingers said:

You are not factoring in hits. The statistical hits and knockdowns. A QB’s main job outside of running the offense is throwing the ball. This is most often how QB’s receive wear and tear. When they are throwing they are locked into that throwing motion. Until that motion is achieved and often for seconds after they are vulnerable, often completely vulnerable. 

That's fair, but defenders aren't allowed to hit below the knees which is the primary concern when we're talking about a QB getting hit while their feet are planted.  Otherwise you're mainly talking about upper body injuries which are generally speaking, less common and less serious to my knowledge (I may be wrong).  The Brock Purdy injury in the playoffs comes to mind which is definitely a case of that and appears to be serious, but something like that probably has relatively little to do with a QB's weight/build.  Cam's a giant and he got hit in the shoulder which effectively ended his career as well.

30 minutes ago, Varking said:

This folks. His playing weight was 185. He added water weight for the combine weigh in and then didn’t reweigh at his pro day. Know why? Because by then he was under 200 pounds again. 

He’s not some kid who is wired to be the first guy in the gym and work out for hours like Cam was. If he was he’d be thicker. Alabama has world class facilities and weight trainers and nutritionists. Again, look at pictures of the two guys you are comparing. Bijan is shredded and has muscle on him. Bryce is not that. 

But then again, neither was Tua and Mac Jones was fat. At Alabama they don’t hit the weights or aren’t pushed to as a position group. 

I think he fattened up for the Combine. That's why he stayed in that hoodie. 

I don't think the kid is averse to working. Some people are just slightly built. I expect he'll probably add some weight at the NFL level but I doubt he's ever a guy playing at 200+.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think he fattened up for the Combine. That's why he stayed in that hoodie. 

I don't think the kid is averse to working. Some people are just slightly built. I expect he'll probably add some weight at the NFL level but I doubt he's ever a guy playing at 200+.

I think it’s a Bama thing. Look at Tua. Look at Mac. Look at Bryce. They work hard in other ways. Saban clearly isn’t pushing his QBs in the weight room. 

28 minutes ago, Varking said:

He added water weight for the combine weigh in and then didn’t reweigh at his pro day

Then why didn't he look bloated or puffy if he added right at 20lbs of water weight?

ap23063838420033.jpg

dri0mau8hedmbzhhkotaYeah, he's wearing a hoodie, but even his face doesn't look puffy or bloated. For comparison:

usatsi_20551399_168388579_lowres.jpg

He's the Panthers' QB now. It's time to let the draft process arguments go.

38 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

If by "looking to argue" you mean challenging something you said that I disagree with, then okay sure that's kind of the point of these boards unless you're seeking an echo chamber.  Were you looking to argue when you came in here to disagree with the OP?  I wouldn't say so, but that seems to be an admission by your own perspective.

Yeah trust me I've understood your simple point since the beginning.  I'm agreeing that they take different types of hits, I just disagree that a QB's hits are necessarily more dangerous than a RB's hits.  And certainly not to the level that overcomes the natural wear and tear that a RB accumulates, and not to the level that I can reconcile how it's the primary concern for Bryce Young but a complete afterthought (not even mentioned, actually) when it comes to Bijan Robinson...which was the entire point of the OP.

It’s not just the types of hit. It’s the fact that his body is built to play QB. A RBs body is built specifically for the position and in context should be more durable. He’s also wearing less padding than the RB. 

If it was such a simple point why is this concept so complex for you?

4 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

Then why didn't he look bloated or puffy if he added right at 20lbs of water weight?

ap23063838420033.jpg

dri0mau8hedmbzhhkotaYeah, he's wearing a hoodie, but even his face doesn't look puffy or bloated. For comparison:

usatsi_20551399_168388579_lowres.jpg

He's the Panthers' QB now. It's time to let the draft process arguments go.

1. Not everyone gets bloated in their face when carrying water weight. Plenty of folks keep shredded features in wrestling when carrying water weight to make weight before a match. 
2. Just because he’s our quarterback doesn’t mean we just magically forget and ignore any concerns we have for him. 
You can be a fan without actively blinding ourselves. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

1. Not everyone gets bloated in their face when carrying water weight. Plenty of folks keep shredded features in wrestling when carrying water weight to make weight before a match. 
2. Just because he’s our quarterback doesn’t mean we just magically forget and ignore any concerns we have for him. 
You can be a fan without actively blinding ourselves. 

Fair enough for 1 and 2. I agree about your fan comment. But hasn't his weight been beat into the ground and salted over by now? The truth is nobody posting here knows what Young weighs and can only guess.

• Pie 1

Just now, t96 said:

Yeah which is considerably larger than the 169 nonsense from the dude I quoted. 

I mean I don’t know where he got that number from. For him to lose roughly 15 pounds from his already skinny frame during the season he would have looked a little sickly. 

• Pie 2

Just now, jayboogieman said:

Fair enough for 1 and 2. I agree about your fan comment. But hasn't his weight been beat into the ground and salted over by now? The truth is nobody posting here knows what Young weighs and can only guess.

Correct. We don’t know for sure. But I didn’t make a thread about Young’s weight. I haven’t made any threads about concerns for Young. Somebody made a thread about comparing the weight of Bijan and Bryce so I felt like I can try and point out the differences for the OP. 

His height and weight and been beaten to death. Until the draft starts up again though it’s all folks really seem to want to talk about still here on the forum. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Varking said:

Until the draft starts up again though it’s all folks really seem to want to talk about still here on the forum. 

And that's just freaking sad. People could at least talk about other potential picks or even what the offense will look like with Young at the helm.

• Pie 1

Just now, jayboogieman said:

And that's just freaking sad. People could at least talk about other potential picks or even what the offense will look like with Young at the helm.

Once we get some picks tonight as long as they arent super odd this place will get a lot more enjoyable. We are a playoff potential team right now. We should be excited. 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

Once we get some picks tonight as long as they arent super odd this place will get a lot more enjoyable. We are a playoff potential team right now. We should be excited. 

Did you watch the video Wow posted? Lombardi says the Panthers could very well win the division.

• Pie 1