• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any gun collectors?

jasonluckydog

On 5/2/2023 at 7:28 AM, d-dave said:

I'm kind of surprised we're not in the TB yet, to be honest =P

My problem with the AR-15 is less the gun and more the ammo.  The bullets do TREMENDOUS amounts of internal damage.  I mean, the base of the AR-15 and the  M-16 (Source: https://special-ops.org/whats-the-difference-between-an-ar15-m4-and-m16/#:~:text=The distinction between an AR,military in close-quarters combat) are similar in nature, and both fire the same ammunition.  This is not a weapon made for civilians, it was made for combat and the ammo was designed for war, not self-defense.

So fine, people wants their "cool" looking AR-15s and other tacti-cool gear for Insurgency Cos-Play, hog hunting or scaring people with whom they have a disagreement.  My biggest problem is the actual wounds caused by the weapon are much worse than other firearms.

Time after time, when the super popular AR-15 is used in a violent attack, there is always a medical professional who is saying that the wounds are just worse. 

https://abc7.com/why-ar15-semi-automatic-weapons-dangerous/13051721/

That is the MUCH larger issue.  While the 2nd amendment says, and has been interpreted, as buy as much guns as you want - there is nothing about limiting the ammunition.  Or is there a way to redesign the round so that ammo sold to civilians would be more of a straight shot through a target as opposed to the devastating wound pattern the military round causes?

I've fired some higher powered, long rifles before.  There is a certain cool "this thing is powerful" feeling.  I get that.  You feel it from your tingly bits on up.  The dopamine rush is real.  Last time I did, I was at an outdoor "not strictly regulated" range.  There were some bowling pins we could set up, and being able to see those things hit and fly was cool as crap.  I think for many people, that's where the fantasy ends.  Like you can shoot a bunch of random stuff, and it's cool and all; but then you have to ask yourself the hard question: what happens if I shoot a living creature or a person with this weapon?

Hopefully I won't get this thread tossed in the TB, but while I respect people who collect cool and antique firearms, or those who responsibly own guns; I do think there is more that can be done to protect the greater public from the people who want to abuse the good behavior of the larger population.

This is untrue.  While you may try to say that the .223 does more internal damage than a .38 or 9mm...that would be true, but that's comparing apples to bus tires.

The .223 is a rather wimpy rifle cartridge to be honest.  It's a popular round because it's accurate, cheap, easy to shoot, and can be found anywhere.  However, I wouldn't even use one to deer hunt, and I live in the Eastern part of NC, where the deer are much smaller.

As to the OP, no I do not collect, but I do have some that are tools.

• Pie 1

On 5/1/2023 at 12:27 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

I've openly talked about the fact that I'd support banning capacity over five rounds and banning detachable magazines. Too many people get caught up in features that don't actually make a firearm more lethal in a mass shooting setting. It's really all about rate of fire and ammo capacity. Those are the factors that actually matter. That scary looking AR-15 is no more lethal than grandpa's deer rifle if it is limited to a five round fixed magazine. It's probably actually less lethal because it's likely firing a significantly weaker round.

Just because I wouldn't go as far as you would doesn't mean I don't seem to support any sort of gun reform.

This speaks exactly to the point of what actual commonsense gun regulation would and should look like. 

59 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

This speaks exactly to the point of what actual commonsense gun regulation would and should look like. 

Im not disagreeing but I will say the devil is in the details.

For assault rifles the lower receiver is considered by law the "gun".  Its the part that is regulated and must have a serial number.  Its the part that if you buy an 80% and finish it yourself or 3D print that makes your weapon a "ghost gun".

One of its primary functions is of course the port for the detachable magazine along side of being the trigger housing and the central part most other parts attach to.

If you mandate that all future lowers have a fixed magazine it veers off into the whole banning assault rifles which is what I was trying to get LG to understand earlier, as you are fundamentally changing the "gun" part of the weapon.

41 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

For assault rifles the lower receiver is considered by law the "gun".  Its the part that is regulated and must have a serial number.  Its the part that if you buy an 80% and finish it yourself or 3D print that makes your weapon a "ghost gun".

One of its primary functions is of course the port for the detachable magazine along side of being the trigger housing and the central part most other parts attach to.

If you mandate that all future lowers have a fixed magazine it veers off into the whole banning assault rifles which is what I was trying to get LG to understand earlier, as you are fundamentally changing the "gun" part of the weapon.

I fully understood what you were saying, you were just playing semantics. I don't care about the definition of "assault weapon" or preserving the legality of weapons that fit that definition.

1 hour ago, Cullenator said:

Legislation for both situations is well within reason. The ghost guns thing is a bigger problem than anyone is really ready to admit and could turn any, and I mean any, firearms legislation into a crazy tipping point much like Prohibition had the inadvertent effect of creating organized crime through the growth of bootlegging alcohol. Ghost guns and the tool and die shops that could create them puts everything on its head.

Still, I'm very much in favor of a requirement that all newly sold firearms have a permanent, integral five-round magazine for all long guns. All guns can kill in the wrong hands, but what makes for the type of mass shooting nightmares we've been having is the capability of large initial ammo capacity coupled with the ability to quick change magazines.

What about the millions of guns already out there that have detachable magazines or have larger internal capacity (pretty much any .22 LR rifle)? I hate to say it, but they just have to exist out there and allow those who own them to continue to do so. The overwhelming majority of those owners pose no threat to the public anyway. You would just have to prevent the sale of such firearms (without say the federal firearms license and registration currently required for military-type automatic weapons and other large ordinance pieces), perhaps allowing for legal inheritance of the firearms within a nuclear family.

It's possible for everyone to walk away from this with a better situation on our hands than what we are looking at. I think everyone can see that without some changes, things are going to get worse for everyone involved... and that could be you or I on the day we chose to go shopping when we should have stayed home.

• Pie 2

Yes the ghost gun situation is a different beast for a different conversation.

Im on board with fixed 5 round magazines.  Im also in agreement that most if not all weapons would need to have a grandfathering process where current owners would have to do some paperwork but in only the most egregious cases of criminal or mental history would they need to surrender them/offer them for "buy back" programs.  Then with the type of strict enforcement that comes with NFA covered weapons and devices you work through weeding out those that didn't follow the law and get those weapons off the streets/out of gun safes.

The upside to classifying the weapons as a Title II weapon classification is that with the proper paperwork and background checks (performed by ATF) you could still purchase the weapons and yes even inherit the weapon.  Improperly documented weapons or individuals that cant/don't want to pass the vetting process during the disbursement of an estate would result in seizure of the weapon which is exactly going to happen (the latter - my kid has no desire to own it) with a weapon when I pass.

• Pie 2

On 4/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

According to the TB I'm a "gun but" but I don't own a single firearm that would come close to qualifying for any sort of "assault rifle" ban and I only own one handgun. But I'm a "gun nut". 😂

Bolt action rifles and antique lever guns are my jam but I don't "collect" bolt guns. I use them. They're tools. The Remington 700 .308 that my Dad gave me when I moved to CO that he bought when he turned 18 is the only bolt gun I own that I'll definitely never part with.

I have two original Winchester Model 1873s and two 1892s. I have about $60k worth of antique firearms. All inherited. None fancy. All just average Joe shooters but they appraise high because they're all original and in great condition.

Historical firearms are very cool! Maybe post up some pictures?

I have a question for gun collectors...

What is the purpose of collecting all these guns?

Also why do people abuse having gun ownership?

I have this neighbor and all he does is let his kids shoot loud guns and disturb the peace. There is no doubt in my mind over the past 10+ years I have lived here there is no doubt he has wasted a good amount of bullets just shooting for fun. People have kids in the neighborhood and all they want to do is waste bullets.

A family literally lost their lives because they confronted a neighbor who was shooting for fun. Why are people so dumb when it comes to guns. The purpose of a gun is to protect yourself and your property. Some people use guns just to disturb the peace and they think it makes them look tough.smh

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I have a question for gun collectors...

What is the purpose of collecting all these guns?

Also why do people abuse having gun ownership?

I have this neighbor and all he does is let his kids shoot loud guns and disturb the peace. There is no doubt in my mind over the past 10+ years I have lived here there is no doubt he has wasted a good amount of bullets just shooting for fun. People have kids in the neighborhood and all they want to do is waste bullets.

A family literally lost their lives because they confronted a neighbor who was shooting for fun. Why are people so dumb when it comes to guns? The purpose of a gun is to protect yourself and your property. Some people use guns just to disturb the peace and they think it makes them look tough.smh

A firearm is a piece of art and recreation. The investment in the gun will hold value depending on how well you take care of it. Watching my grandfather when I was growing up in Kentucky on his tobacco farm he didn't trust banks he bought gold coins and guns as a savings account. If he ever needed cash he would take a couple of guns in town. 

On 5/11/2023 at 12:15 PM, Ricky Prickles said:

Historical firearms are very cool! Maybe post up some pictures?

Not quite as old as LGs long gun but its the oldest one I own. S&W .32 Long CTG - based on the serial number from the early to mid 1920s. Still fires like a champ but those .32 rounds are dirty as hell and your knuckles get pretty nasty after a couple of reloads.

Was my wife's grandfathers gun and he carried it regularly.  He was a Baptist Minister 'down east"

IMG_0736.jpg

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, jasonluckydog said:

A firearm is a piece of art and recreation. The investment in the gun will hold value depending on how well you take care of it. Watching my grandfather when I was growing up in Kentucky on his tobacco farm he didn't trust banks he bought gold coins and guns as a savings account. If he ever needed cash he would take a couple of guns in town. 

A piece of art that some people abuse. People shouldn't be allowed to shoot guns on their property just for fun. A bullet has no name on it. How are people in the neighborhood supposed to know if they are getting shot at or if it's just the neighbor acting a fool again.

I hear gunshots all time of day and night. People shoot at nothing and they only shoot to disturb the peace.

I never liked guns. Why would I want to play with something that can kill you. Just never made sense. The only reason you should own a gun is to protect your property from intruders. Other than that you shouldn't use it unless you go to a gun range. Shooting in your yard is just plain stupid and you have no respect for your neighbors and their families.

Edited by CamWhoaaCam

13 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

A piece of art that some people abuse. People shouldn't be allowed to shoot guns on their property just for fun. A bullet has no name on it. How are people in the neighborhood supposed to know if they are getting shot at or if it's just the neighbor acting a fool again.

I hear gunshots all time of day and night. People shoot at nothing and they only shoot to disturb the peace.

I never liked guns. Why would I want to play with something that can kill you. Just never made sense. The only reason you should own a gun is to protect your property from intruders. Other than that you shouldn't use it unless you go to a gun range. Shooting in your yard is just plain stupid and you have no respect for your neighbors and their families.

I agree with what you are saying to a degree and see where you are coming from. People in small neighborhoods should definitely not be going out in their backyard and shooting away with guns due to the proximity of houses and stray bullets. If they are not in little neighborhood subdivisions then I see nothing wrong with it if there is no danger around of some other house or random person being hit.

Im not an avid gun collector as it sounds like you are not either but many things can kill you that we own if used poorly with bad judgement. I feel like if no neighbors around people should be able to shoot guns on their property but most definitely not in small neighborhood subdivisions and if i'm not mistaken there are probably ordinances that state this or at bare minimum HOA's that have a problem with it. I havent had anyone shoot guns in my neighborhood as its just too small with houses too close but we have a guy who used to live behind me that would randomly start shooting off huge fireworks at any given night in the dead middle of the night including 2am-6am. I remember going outside and screaming at him to stop shooting that crap off as everyone is trying to sleep. He promptly responded with "He can do whatever he likes to do". I knew this wasnt true so I just called the police and they came over and fined him and yelled at him. If someone was shooting a gun in the neighborhood that would be way more serious, dangerous and ridiculous and would have zero issues just calling the police to shut that down immediately.