• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On My Radar: TMJ & Tommy Tremble

Bear Hands

I don't think many see Tremble as the starting TE - he has been a FB/TE hybrid and that is where I think he will be for his career.  Redzone target maybe and short yardage check down, but not 1st option receiving.  Honestly that is the only reason Ian Thomas is on the roster before we signed Hurst - to be the top receiving TE (scary thought).  Only reason Thomas is still on the roster now is because cutting him saved us nothing and would hurt the cap, and no one wants to trade for him.  Hurst is on a 3-yr deal - he will get the vast majority of TE receiving plays barring injury.  

TMJ - as much as I want to believe, he has a tough road this season - Mingo is gonna be a 4-yr contract, Theilen is 3-yr, Chark is 1-yr.....and right now he is gonna be behind all 3 of those if Mingo is even reasonably good.  Chark and Theilen are the clear starters right now, and Shi or Mingo probably the slot - TMJ is just not good enough in the slot to start there.  I think he is in for rotations a good bit and redzone with his height, but won't get 40 targets.  Barring injury who is he gonna take snaps from?  

I love the predictions - I hope you are right - but there is very little reason to believe it given the reality of the guys in front of them.  I agree the Rhule era probably held them down - and the QB play - but unless this team spreads the ball around to 6-7 guys consistently I don't see them getting the targets. - Too many other guys who will be on the field with something to prove.

8 minutes ago, Stingray3030 said:

Chark and Theilen are the clear starters right now, and Shi or Mingo probably the slot - TMJ is just not good enough in the slot to start there.

I think most analysts have Thielen starting in the slot and Chark and TMJ on the outside. Until the Panthers release a depth chart, we won't really know, but that seems reasonable. Seems very unlikely that Mingo beats out TMJ, but stranger things have happened. 

20 minutes ago, Pup McBarky said:

I think most analysts have Thielen starting in the slot and Chark and TMJ on the outside. Until the Panthers release a depth chart, we won't really know, but that seems reasonable. Seems very unlikely that Mingo beats out TMJ, but stranger things have happened. 

OK let me clarify

The "X" receiver is typically your #1 guy - tops in snap counts, spends a large amount of time on the outside but also a great deal, often more snaps in the slot.

The "Z" receiver is most often the burner on the team - often but not always the 2nd receiver and can also line up outside or in the slot - sometimes the 2nd most snaps sometimes 3rd 

The "slot" receiver is most often only in on a 3-receiver set.  This player is usually a swiss army knife of routes and spends the majority of time inside.  They are only used when the 1st or 2nd receiver isn't occupying the position unless your team is based around a top slot guy like Hill, Edelman.

Point being it isn't about how many snaps you run from the position, it is about the ability to run the routes.  TMJ plays like an "X" - he isn't crazy fast and is primarily used on the sideline - he doesn't get amazing separation either.  He doesn't play the middle of the field much either - not yet anyway.  Guess who that sounds like.....MINGO.  

Thielen has been an "X" receiver most of his career - but he runs every route and gets some of the best separation in the league - so they use him in the slot alot.  Most "X" receivers that are best in the league do that.  But they aren't really "slot" receivers.  Trust slots like Deebo, Samuel, Hill is what I mean.

TMJ is gonna have to fight against Theilen and Mingo for that 

On 5/12/2023 at 8:49 PM, Mage said:

I have no expectations for Tremble, but I think Marshall is going to have a really good year.  I'm thinking 800+ yards and 5+ TDs.  

I don't have much in the way of expectations for either. But, the path to PT should be easier for both of them. If they don't make a leap forward or just a general impact, I think we probably end up moving on next offseason.

I hope you all are right - but I don't think there are enough throws going around for him.  So let's try this.  What do you predict for 2023 for these guys:

Thielen - 67 REC, 820yds

Chark - 45 REC, 660yds

Hurst - 55 REC, 550yds

TMJ - 35 REC, 500yds

Mingo - 30 REC, 390yds

RB's - 50 REC, 400yds

Other TE's and WR - 50REC - 500yds

Reason I say this is that I don't think people realize how hard it will be for TMJ to break out unless there are significant injuries given the stable around him.  

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't have much in the way of expectations for either. But, the path to PT should be easier for both of them. If they don't make a leap forward or just a general impact, I think we probably end up moving on next offseason.

For the most part, it's make or break time, but luckily they're still young.  Younger than most rookies.  

• Beer 1