• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

9 hours ago, Anybodyhome said:

Sorry, I'm kinda pissed. I really like this kid and I think he'd fit really well in RBA's system and he could have been signed for cheap. A 6'2" 230lb left wing with the proven skill set to score 25-30 a year. 10th overall pick in the 2014 draft and he's only 27. He's been wandering around the past couple years, but he was solid his first 5 years in Anaheim.

Nick Ritchie is still unsigned. But the Canes signed LeMieux instead.

image.thumb.png.2ccef5da7d537a27da6a9e9f9485dcf3.png

image.thumb.png.8577d475c632da7e21fc7e51976f10b7.png

I think they want someone that isn’t another reclamation project or chance. Ie pool party or patches.  Rod wants someone he can count on day 1 to help us win. Something is coming…. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I think Coghlan gets put on waivers and that’s it.

Season starts with…

Bunting - Aho Jarvis

Teravainen - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Lemieux - Drury - Noesen

Other Options - Ponomarev, Rees, Suzuki

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Pesce

Skjei - Chatfield

Jones - TDA

Andersen

Raanta

Kochetkov

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

Really only a couple things to iron out.

- I for sure don’t see any use for Coghlan, try to ship him somewhere for a sixth round pick or something or just waive him.

- If Svechnikov starts on IR then he won’t count against the roster which opens up room for someone else. If he doesn’t start on IR then the Canes will probably have to assign Kochetkov to someone’s AHL team along with Ponomarev, Rees, and Suzuki as the roster would be full (13 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies).

- If Svech does start on IR then the Canes can either choose to keep three goalies or move Kochetkov to the AHL and keep one of Ponomarev, Rees, or Suzuki up.

I personally hope that we don’t rush Svech and let him take his time. In the meantime, I’d use the fact that Kochetkov is waiver exempt to our advantage and send him to the AHL so that he can get games (apparently we have an assignment agreement with two unnamed teams this year while we search for our new AHL affiliate). With Svech on IR ane Kochetkov in the AHL, I’d keep up Ponomarev.

My opening night roster would be:

Bunting - Aho - Jarvis

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Drury - Ponomarev - Noesen

Lemieux

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Pesce

Skjei - Chatfield

Jones - DeAngelo

Andersen

Raanta

IR - Svechnikov

AHL Call Up’s - Rees, Suzuki, Kochetkov

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

- I for sure don’t see any use for Coghlan, try to ship him somewhere for a sixth round pick or something or just waive him.

- If Svechnikov starts on IR then he won’t count against the roster which opens up room for someone else. If he doesn’t start on IR then the Canes will probably have to assign Kochetkov to someone’s AHL team along with Ponomarev, Rees, and Suzuki as the roster would be full (13 forwards, 8 defensemen, 2 goalies).

- If Svech does start on IR then the Canes can either choose to keep three goalies or move Kochetkov to the AHL and keep one of Ponomarev, Rees, or Suzuki up.

I personally hope that we don’t rush Svech and let him take his time. In the meantime, I’d use the fact that Kochetkov is waiver exempt to our advantage and send him to the AHL so that he can get games (apparently we have an assignment agreement with two unnamed teams this year while we search for our new AHL affiliate). With Svech on IR ane Kochetkov in the AHL, I’d keep up Ponomarev.

Bunting - Aho - Jarvis

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Lemieux

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Pesce

Skjei - Chatfield

Jones - DeAngelo

Andersen

Raanta

IR - Svechnikov

Reallllllly excited to see what Pono can do for us

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Bunting - Aho - Jarvis

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Lemieux

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Pesce

Skjei - Chatfield

Jones - DeAngelo

Andersen

Raanta

IR - Svechnikov

Looks like a lineup that's primed for a second round exit. Once again, not enough scoring. Sigh. 

39 minutes ago, OUCPFL said:

Looks like a lineup that's primed for a second round exit. Once again, not enough scoring. Sigh. 

Kind of depends. We have a lot of guys that should be developing into who they are going to be as players going forward (Bunting, Jarvis, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, Necas, Drury, and Chatfield).

A BIG IF, but IF those guys step up then we could be really really good. If we don’t see the development that we need then yes, we could be looking at another season of disappointment.

I think we’re at a point where the organization hopes a lot of our guys become the best versions of them self this year but I think a lot of fans are thinking that if that doesn’t happen then we need to have the elite high end goal scorer to fall back on.

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

No way Lemieux is a starting winger. Between bringing Coghlan back and signing Lemieux, I'm still shaking my head over those 2.

He easily could be. He’s a fourth line guy that the Canes brought into be a physical presence and every Canes fan knows Rod loves his vets.

GMDW noted that Ponomarev will get some games but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he’ll start right out of the gate.

If Svechnikov is unable to play the beginning of the season then it’ll either be Lemieux or Ponomarev. As I said above, Rod prefers his veterans.

• Pie 1

Just remember that Derek Stepan played 70+ games for the Canes last year and Lemieux is much more useful than him.

Lemieux is actually a good skater and throws the body around. Just two years ago he had 13 points in 50 games with the Kings (8 of those points being goals). Over an 82 game season that averages out to 21 points which is around the same pace that Stastny was at and a much better pace than Drury and Stepan were at.

Lemieux reminds me a lot of Ryan Lomberg, a guy you’d love on your team but if he’s not then you think he’s a POS.

Similar to TDA, I think Canes will grow to like Lemiuex because we haven’t had a guy like him in a long time.

• Pie 3

If we get the 2021-22 Kings version of Brendan Lemiuex then Canes fans will love him.

Good skater, forechecks hard, gets to the front of the net, can score the occasional goal, throws the body around, is a massive pest, and can fight. If he does all of that and chips in 10 or so goals then it’s a massive win for the Canes.

• Pie 2

On 8/16/2023 at 6:09 PM, Panthers Fan 69 said:

I think they want someone that isn’t another reclamation project or chance. Ie pool party or patches.  Rod wants someone he can count on day 1 to help us win. Something is coming…. 

There’s a reason Ritchie is unsigned, he can provide scoring depth on a fourth line but for some reason he’s had a negative +/- on nearly every team he’s played on.

Let’s look no further than his time in Toronto in 2021. Ritchie played 33 games for Toronto and was a -6 on a team that had a goal differential of +39. To put that in perspective, William Nylander had the worst +/- on the Maple Leads with a -9… over 81 games… So the player with the worst +/- on the Maple Leafs was only on the ice for 3 more goals than Ritchie while playing nearly 50 MORE GAMES than Ritchie. What makes this worse is that Ritchie only averaged 12 minutes of ice time a game, Nylander averaged over 18 minutes of ice time per game.

So then you say, maybe it’s a fluke, but then you realize that Ritchie hasn’t been a plus player since 2019 and just last year he was a -6 with Calgary in a whopping 16 games.

So then you look at Brendan Lemieux who outside of one bad year for New York back in 2019 is a +4 for the entirety of his career. Lemieux was a -3 last year but he somehow managed to have a +3 once he moved over to one of the worst teams in the league in the Philadelphia Flyers. The year before that, Lemieux was a +1 in 50 games with the Kings.

So the TLDR version of why Lemiuex is here and Ritchie isn’t is because Lemiuex is defensively responsible and Ritchie isn’t. And for a Rod Brind’Amour coached team, being a defensively responsible fourth liner is much more important than being an offensive threat but defensively irresponsible fourth liner.

• Pie 1