• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Panthers tight end Tommy Tremble is enjoying clean slate with new coaching staff

vorbis

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You are looking at that in hindsight obviously but the overall majority of tes picked in the first are just not worth it.   TG being the obvious outlier.   I mean Olsen only had 3 1000 yard seasons and never double digit tds.  And he really didnt start producing until 7ish years into his career. 

If you knew you were getting a te with gronks/kelce stats then sure but its damn near impossible to project that.

Just because some of the wrong guys were picked doesn't mean the position isn't worth picking there. Projecting prospects is always going to largely be a crap shoot. But yeah, every GM in the league would be thrilled to draft a Greg Olsen at the bottom of the 1st. Absolutely.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Just because some of the wrong guys were picked doesn't mean the position isn't worth picking there. Projecting prospects is always going to largely be a crap shoot. But yeah, every GM in the league would be thrilled to draft a Greg Olsen at the bottom of the 1st. Absolutely.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-draft-falcons-tight-end-kyle-pitts-hayden-hurst-atlanta/

There is a ton of garbage on that list.  I cannot think of another position group that flames out like TE when drafted in the first.  And I suspect the NFL front offices know this and thus the reason so few are drafted in the first

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/gallery/nfl-draft-falcons-tight-end-kyle-pitts-hayden-hurst-atlanta/

There is a ton of garbage on that list.  I cannot think of another position group that flames out like TE when drafted in the first.  And I suspect the NFL front offices know this and thus the reason so few are drafted in the first

I'll repeat. Just because some of the wrong guys have been drafted doesn't mean the position isn't worth drafting. If you're gonna shy away from not drafting a position high due to busts I have bad news for you regardless of the position you're looking at.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'll repeat. Just because some of the wrong guys have been drafted doesn't mean the position isn't worth drafting. If you're gonna shy away from not drafting a position high due to busts I have bad news for you regardless of the position you're looking at.

It also matters what they're being asked to do. Kyle Pitts to an Authur Smith offense makes zero sense. He's a huge mismatch for everyone and they've pretty much ignored him. If he has another crappy year in that offense, we should try to trade for him. Always hard to do in division though

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, rebelrouser said:

Greg Olsen or Vernon Davis.  

No...again, not worth a top 15 pick.

Look at the direct payback for the team that drafted them, not where they ended up.  

The POINT?  It's much easier to get a TE through FA or later in the draft and not burn that capitol on that specific position.

Of every position, on the field, TE would be near the bottom for me with a high 1.

Edited by thefuzz

Just now, thefuzz said:

No...again, not worth a top 15 pick.

Look at the direct payback for the team that drafted them, not where they ended up.  

The POINT?  It's much easier to get a TE through FA

100%

Great post.   You get what I have been trying to say.  Tight ends simply do not carry enough weight to be drafted in the first.